Budget NVME upgrade (~100€) for aging laptop (Dell XPS 13 9370)

Sinnamon
Go to solution Solved by NewMaxx,

Kioxia Exceria Plus G3, WD SN580, Team MP44L are good cheap drives. Also the WD SN770, Lexar NM790, if in your region.

Hi all,

looking to get a 2TB nvme drive for my aging xps 13. The current drive is almost full and the laptop is getting seriously slow because of that, otherwise it does the job. Any recommendations?

Since the laptop only support gen3x4 and I don't want to spend too much I am eying the lexar nm620. (Alternatives would be kioxia exceria g2 or Crucial P3)

Currently lexar seems the obvious choice with quite high endurance (1000 TBW) and good performance. Any experience with this drive or other budget recommendations? Location is Germany, Switzerland, Netherlands.

Thanks a lot in advance!! 🙂 

Is the currently installed drive a disk or is it solid state? Does the laptop support storage expansion or are you replacing the old drive?

I try to be respectful. If I ever come off in a different manner, I probably don't mean to. If I don't help you sorry, if I do, mark my comment as the solution. 

1 hour ago, Sinnamon said:

eying the lexar nm620. (Alternatives would be kioxia exceria g2 or Crucial P3)

I tend to lean more towards SSDs from actual NAND flash manufacturers so I'd rec going with Kioxia or Crucial (Micron).
However, buy soon, because prices are likely to at best stay flat if not rise over then next 6+ months. 

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

4 hours ago, Wardus said:

Is the currently installed drive a disk or is it solid state? Does the laptop support storage expansion or are you replacing the old drive?

Replace the current nvme, got a disk cloning tool (paid, not some free junk) so should be fine

4 hours ago, OddOod said:

I tend to lean more towards SSDs from actual NAND flash manufacturers so I'd rec going with Kioxia or Crucial (Micron).
However, buy soon, because prices are likely to at best stay flat if not rise over then next 6+ months. 

Any reason for that? Spec wise they all seem worse, both in performance but also tbw or dwpd...

20 hours ago, Sinnamon said:

Replace the current nvme, got a disk cloning tool (paid, not some free junk) so should be fine

Even the good ones can cause weird issues. I usually rec a clean install, though difficult to transfer files without an external drive 😕 

20 hours ago, Sinnamon said:

Any reason for that? Spec wise they all seem worse, both in performance but also tbw or dwpd...

Mostly because I trust them more and the rumor is that they are more reliable, though I've never seen any actual data to support that supposition

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

Kioxia Exceria Plus G3, WD SN580, Team MP44L are good cheap drives. Also the WD SN770, Lexar NM790, if in your region.

Thanks a lot! You saved me a bad purchase 😄
Went for the SN580 from various reviews and benchmarks this is imo the best all round cheap drive (at least for my inteded use)