I FOUND A PC!

I was walking to Safeway to get some food, and found an old Dell PC on my usual shortcut. From what I could check at the time it has an i5 Intel CPU, and GTX 745, and 8GB of DDR3 RAM. I'll report more on exact parts later, if I can get more time to look at it. BTW, there was no side panel or PSU cable (Power Cable). If I can get a Picture I'll put it in here.

Posted (edited)
On 4/2/2024 at 4:56 AM, Nevah5 said:

Ok, you obviously didn't read how I'd provide more info when I can, I only get a quick look at the GPU and RAM, and the only reason I got to see the GPU's PCB (to see what GPU it was) is because it was a quick install bracket. Not everyone spends 3H on their posts because its a waste of time.

Edited by LogicalDrm

Every time I see people finding a computer or even a just a usb, I always say never touch it or the very least, don't connect it to your home network or if usb, don't plug it on your main pc or anything that's connected to a network. If it's a pc, use a different storage to boot it or reinstall the OS once you learn it's working, before connecting it to your home network. Bringing in a potential nefarious device is basically a physical trojan horse method. 

52 minutes ago, kitnoman said:

Every time I see people finding a computer or even a just a usb, I always say never touch it or the very least, don't connect it to your home network or if usb, don't plug it on your main pc or anything that's connected to a network. If it's a pc, use a different storage to boot it or reinstall the OS once you learn it's working, before connecting it to your home network. Bringing in a potential nefarious device is basically a physical trojan horse method. 

It surprisingly didn't even have any storage except a disk drive, unknown whether or not there's anything inside

On 4/1/2024 at 11:11 PM, whispous said:

Maybe it's cursed, and this is like the beginning of Jumanji

O sh*t it is

Anyways:

The GPU and PC itself:

IMG_20240402_100401.jpgIMG_20240402_094927.jpg

Sorry for potato quality 😞

New Specs list:

Intel Dual Core i5

GTX 745

8GB DDR3 (2 X 4GB)

Would it be possible to upgrade the CPU and put an gTX 1650 G6 in there? this might be the start to my first PC... not sure, would be the cheaper route though.

Also, I fix list!

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cxpsrv

3 hours ago, zombiepunk10 said:

New Specs list:

Intel Dual Core i5

GTX 745

8GB DDR3 (2 X 4GB)

Would it be possible to upgrade the CPU and put an RTX 3050 6GB in there? this might be the start to my first PC... not sure, would be the cheaper route though.

Try to get more details on the specs. Which i5? Like exact model number. And which motherboard. DDR3 indicates it is very old, but there is a good chance you can at least get a quad core i7 in there and a low end but newer GPU. My first PC was an old Pentium III office computer in the Core 2 days, you take what you can get for free.

I find many PCs in the trash on the side of the road. No one brings them to the eco center. It's not uncommon. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Nice to see found PCs

17 hours ago, kitnoman said:

f it's a pc, use a different storage to boot it or reinstall the OS once you learn it's working, before connecting it to your home network.

Yeah never plug it to the LAN but if it boots I always look around the OS for a while, there might be something of interest. And no, I don't look for bank accounts of passwords, even if there are I have no use for them.

Caroline doesn't need to hear all this, she's a highly trained professional.

On 4/2/2024 at 1:54 PM, TetraSky said:

I find many PCs in the trash on the side of the road. No one brings them to the eco center. It's not uncommon. 

It's just really surprising, I live in a town with like 1 comp shop. not a lot of people are interested in that stuff or at least throwing it out. 

On 4/2/2024 at 1:49 PM, thevictor390 said:

Try to get more details on the specs. Which i5? Like exact model number. And which motherboard. DDR3 indicates it is very old, but there is a good chance you can at least get a quad core i7 in there and a low end but newer GPU. My first PC was an old Pentium III office computer in the Core 2 days, you take what you can get for free.

CPU: intel i5-4460

the only info I found on the Mobo was that its chipset is the Intel H81, the PC itself is a Dell Vostro 3900

Posted (edited)

i5-4460 84w say mb uses 30w psu say its 300w so 180w for a gpu. how much power can the pcie 16 can do dont no said something about dont go over 90w total...so

75 normally out of the pcie slot but pre built are nowen to not pull the amount. 🤷‍♂️

another thing is how many gpu power plugs dose it have probly 1 6pin my guess ya you can buy adapters for sata and molex to gpu but i dont no.

also some gpus just dont work.

say it can take gen4 cpus up to i7 4770 so but who nos how the cooler can do.

oh gpu is 55w some not it can at lest do 55w form the slot... probly can do the 75w.

can take up to 16gb ram.

manual

cpu

gpu

RTX 3050 6GB is 130w but i mean... why would you pare it with that...

3050 is around the proforamce of a 1060, rx 480.

the biggest problem with most prebuilts is the psu and most of them are proriatray so they cant be upgrade and buying one will cost too much.

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

23 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

i5-4460 84w say mb uses 30w psu say its 300w so 180w for a gpu. how much power can the pcie 16 can do dont no said something about dont go over 90w total...so

75 normally out of the pcie slot but pre built are nowen to not pull the amount. 🤷‍♂️

another thing is how many gpu power plugs dose it have probly 1 6pin my guess ya you can buy adapters for sata and molex to gpu but i dont no.

also some gpus just dont work.

say it can take gen4 cpus up to i7 4770 so but who nos how the cooler can do.

oh gpu is 55w some not it can at lest do 55w form the slot... probly can do the 75w.

can take up to 16gb ram.

manual

cpu

gpu

RTX 3050 6GB is 130w but i mean... why would you pare it with that...

3050 is around the proforamce of a 1060, rx 480.

the biggest problem with most prebuilts is the psu and most of them are proriatray so they cant be upgrade and buying one will cost too much.

GPU is 75 Watts (I changed to a 1650 G6 instead for my list), other than that, good call outs!

I'll see if I can get better pictures tomorrow...

I also found a trashed alienware laptop today, the CPU and RAM are in there (the valuable items), but everything else is gone.

7 hours ago, zombiepunk10 said:

It's just really surprising, I live in a town with like 1 comp shop. not a lot of people are interested in that stuff or at least throwing it out. 

To be fair, people who are "interested in that stuff" don't buy Dell prebuilts. So it really shouldn't be surprising to find it. It's a pretty standard granny PC that nearly every average household has. It's 2024 after all, not 1994. There are PC's everywhere. (as you found out)

*** Thread cleaned ***

Posting here is not mandatory. if you don't have anything productive to say, don't post. 

@zombiepunk10, several of your posts have been merged. Please don't spam. In this case, spamming means posting several posts back to back when you could have used Edit-function to add things.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

5 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

*** Thread cleaned ***

Posting here is not mandatory. if you don't have anything productive to say, don't post. 

@zombiepunk10, several of your posts have been merged. Please don't spam. In this case, spamming means posting several posts back to back when you could have used Edit-function to add things.

O sorry! I didn't even think about the edit feature, thanks for merging them!