My charger cable fried while charging my phone.

I bought a cheap charging cable(speedlink), and while charging my phone(redmi note 9 pro) I heard a clicking sound of sorts. When I pulled it out it was HOT and had slightly melted. The charging port on the phone became a bit receded but is still able to be charged. How serious is it and should I seek repair/replacement?

2 minutes ago, Arlen133 said:

I bought a cheap charging cable(speedlink), and while charging my phone(redmi note 9 pro) I heard a clicking sound of sorts. When I pulled it out it was HOT and had slightly melted. The charging port on the phone became a bit receded but is still able to be charged. How serious is it and should I seek repair/replacement?

Sure, and you should always use the original cable and charger, as using other cables or chargers could damage the phone and even decrease battery life.

1 minute ago, BoomerL4D said:

Sure, and you should always use the original cable and charger, as using other cables or chargers could damage the phone and even decrease battery life.

I was using the original cable but it started to brown around the output. So I thought to replace it and at just the right time I saw the cable pack at aldi, sot I bought it.

I won't use a cheap cable after this for sure 😞

Dont buy cheap shit cables for expensive phones from grocery stores. Anker cables or another good quality cable maker. Saves you in the long run.

These cables are rarely ever properly tested before being sold like this. If the OEM cabled also fried though, thats something that is concerning.

I remember news about those phones catching on fire so it's not all the cable's fault.

21 minutes ago, Arlen133 said:

I was using the original cable but it started to brown around the output.

Yeah that's not normal. At all.

Something's wrong with the phone's charging electronics, the charger, or both.

Fast charging is terrible for every component involved, the ideal charging current for Li-ion batteries is around 350-400 mA depending on the size, but you have manufacturers shoving like 2.5A or more into them because users have no concept of what waiting is.

Try a normal charger, or plug it into a PC USB 2.0 port.

Caroline doesn't need to hear all this, she's a highly trained professional.

2 minutes ago, Caroline said:

Fast charging is terrible for every component involved, the ideal charging current for Li-ion batteries is around 350-400 mA depending on the size, but you have manufacturers shoving like 2.5A or more into them because users have no concept of what waiting is.

It sucks too that "fast charging" is starting to be such an advertised feature, and something OEMs can prematurely destroy the device with, that it's now hard to find "slow" chargers. 

3 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

It sucks too that "fast charging" is starting to be such an advertised feature, and something OEMs can prematurely destroy the device with, that it's now hard to find "slow" chargers. 

Well, if they sold you something that worked then you wouldn't need to replace the phone after 2 years.

10 minutes ago, Caroline said:

I remember news about those phones catching on fire so it's not all the cable's fault.

Yeah that's not normal. At all.

Something's wrong with the phone's charging electronics, the charger, or both.

I alredy decided to buy a new phone samsung a50. Tho its a shame that a 3 euro cable costed me over 100 :{

Is this one still ok or nah?

1711916318526.jpg

2 minutes ago, Arlen133 said:

I alredy decided to buy a new phone samsung a50. Tho its a shame that a 3 euro cable costed me over 100 :{

Oh that sucks.

Now don't fast charge your new phone ~

Leaving it overnight plugged to the computer is safer than frying it with AC adapters. It's slower but it'll last you longer, if you can, keep the battery around 80% high and 30% low.

1 minute ago, Caroline said:

Oh that sucks.

Now don't fast charge your new phone ~

Leaving it overnight plugged to the computer is safer than frying it with AC adapters. It's slower but it'll last you longer, if you can, keep the battery around 80% high and 30% low.

I mean, the phone lasted me good 2 and a half years of non stop use, but yeah I ain't making the same mistake again.

Also, I checked the inside of the cable and I think it got shorted to ground or something.

16 minutes ago, Arlen133 said:

Is this one still ok or nah?

1711916318526.jpg

Thats just material discoloration. Typical for the xiaomi cables as they use a soft touch texture coating that degrades like this.

Not a reason to replace your phone.

Just get some cheap but decent cables from like ugreen, anker,... no reason to overspend but just avoid the ultra cheap crap.

Also don't buy a samsung a50? It's an old phone and NOT an upgrade from what you have now. It's slower and has poor battery life due to the exynos it uses.

47 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Thats just material discoloration. Typical for the xiaomi cables as they use a soft touch texture coating that degrades like this.

Not a reason to replace your phone.

Just get some cheap but decent cables from like ugreen, anker,... no reason to overspend but just avoid the ultra cheap crap.

Also don't buy a samsung a50? It's an old phone and NOT an upgrade from what you have now. It's slower and has poor battery life due to the exynos it uses.

Yeah it was an impuls purchase, I will get a refund. What phone would you recommend(best under 200 euro and can be refurbished)?

3 minutes ago, Arlen133 said:

Yeah it was an impuls purchase, I will get a refund. What phone would you recommend(best under 200 euro and can be refurbished)?

No phone?

Your redmi still works fine right?

if so just well simply keep using it?

52 minutes ago, jaslion said:

No phone?

Your redmi still works fine right?

if so just well simply keep using it?

it still charges and works mostly, but the charging port is slightly receded(and smells).

8 minutes ago, Arlen133 said:

it still charges and works mostly, but the charging port is slightly receded(and smells).

Have it rest for a day and see it got quite hot so you are smelling plastic now. But most likely it is actually just fine.

31 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Have it rest for a day and see it got quite hot so you are smelling plastic now. But most likely it is actually just fine.

Will do just that, will update you if works.