VEGA 56 vs 1660ti vs RX580

Hey guys, Im trying to build a pc out of 2nd hand parts. currently have a good deal on a Ryzen 5 4500, Im looking for a GPU to go with it.

and available GPUs here are the Vega 56, 1660ti and RX580.

Which one should I get? (cheapest is the vega 56 "currently")

help would be appreciated.

Thanks

14 minutes ago, Rv1n said:

Hey guys, Im trying to build a pc out of 2nd hand parts. currently have a good deal on a Ryzen 5 4500, Im looking for a GPU to go with it.

Thanks

Go with Vega 56, its faster than than the 1660ti and the 8GB of vRAM will be useful in newer games:
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-rx-vega-56.c2993

Performance rankings from this year:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

3 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Go with Vega 56, its faster than than the 1660ti and the 8GB of vRAM will be useful in newer games:
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-rx-vega-56.c2993

Performance rankings from this year:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

thanks @Dabombinable, was actually thinking this route even though it was released earlier.. just wasnt sure cuz i dont have exp. with vega cards...

and i was skeptical on the software update side.

25 minutes ago, Rv1n said:

and i was skeptical on the software update side.

The cards are being retired, so updates are likely going to dry up: https://www.anandtech.com/show/21126/amd-reduces-ongoing-driver-support-for-polaris-and-vega-gpus

So it's possible the card won't work as well in newer titles going forward, once there are no more update or game specific optimizations. If that's a concern a more recent card might be a better option.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

23 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

The cards are being retired, so updates are likely going to dry up: https://www.anandtech.com/show/21126/amd-reduces-ongoing-driver-support-for-polaris-and-vega-gpus

So it's possible the card won't work as well in newer titles going forward, once there are no more update or game specific optimizations. If that's a concern a more recent card might be a better option.

but going forward....for a 2-3 year future proofing.do you think its still worth buying these cards?

i mean, i do get these are more that 5 y.o.

but atleast would it still be a good buy?

if so, do you agree with the vega 56 as the best option?

2 hours ago, Rv1n said:

Thanks

country?

budget?

parts you currently have in mind/deals youve found?

parts that have already been bought or parts you already have?

theyre all usually pretty shit deals except the 580 but if you are bundling that with these usually more expensive cards that means the 580 is overpriced (usually theyre 30-40$ for 4gb models and ~50$ for 8gb models)

id look for a used 5700(xt) or atleast a used 1070 since the 1660ti is just a 1070 with less vram

and out of all those cards vega 56 wins by a landslide if its the cheapest as its definitely faster than a 580 and 8gb of vram

also the 4500 is dogshit cause quartered cache (8mb instead of 32mb) so running 4400-4600 ddr4 (or whatever 1:1 fclk is on renoir) is not gonna save it, look for a used 3600(x) 5500 or 5600(x) instead

other parts you definitely should be buying used are the mobo which is one of the main advantages of going am4 aside from the dirt cheap used ryzens, case since its just a hunk of metal that doesnt contribute to performance), and psu as youll get much better longer lasting psus for much cheaper, ex rm850x or equivalent units at 40-60$ which can handle a 4090 class card instead of whatever trash 600-750w bronze unit youd get at that price that might not even handle a 4080 class card

wouldnt bother with used ssds as you usually wont save much money with a used ssd but depends on your local used market, and used rams are very circumstancial as youd usually buy these mainly for performance as oem bare pcb 2rx8 rams with good ics (ex 8gb m378a1g43eb1 2133 e die or 16gb hma82gu6djr8n 2666-3200 djr) will destroy xmp rams with some lazy manual tuning to 3800 or 4600+ for ryzen apus like that 4500 though you may find a significant discount buying used rams especially 4gb/8gb sticks and 2133-2666 sticks so might also be worth it outside of just tuning for performance

1 hour ago, Rv1n said:

but going forward....for a 2-3 year future proofing.do you think its still worth buying these cards?

i mean, i do get these are more that 5 y.o.

but atleast would it still be a good buy?

To quote AMD "The AMD Polaris and Vega graphics architectures are mature, stable and performant and don’t benefit as much from regular software tuning.  Going forward, AMD is providing critical updates for Polaris- and Vega-based products via a separate driver package, including important security and functionality updates as available.  The committed support is greater than for products AMD categorizes as legacy, and gamers can still enjoy their favorite games on Polaris and Vega-based products."

Pretty much it'll be perfectly fine for the next 2-3 years. Considering that Vega based APU are still being sold in stores, as are Polaris GPU.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 hour ago, Rv1n said:

Future proofing for what? What are you trying to achieve? E.g. if games, what resolution and type of games?

If you're trying to play the very latest games at 1440p/4K then you have lost the future already, but if you're playing older games at 1080p then sure, a Vega 56 or 1660 Ti will do 2-3 years if the card survives that long.

RX 580 is too slow for the most recent AAA games, even at 1080p, but it is plenty powerful enough for older games like GTA V.

1 hour ago, Rv1n said:

Yes, I'd say so. You will get the most performance for your money. It's an old platform, whatever performance improvements could be had on the driver level have been had.

You just need to take into consideration that more recent and more demanding games, I'm talking something like Alan Wake 2, likely aren't going to run well on that card. So you need to keep your expectations what it can do in check.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply