corroded ihs?

IMG_20240331_081146.thumb.jpg.7656d02707e3896d2fdbf89378e42720.jpg

bought 6 more w3503 to bin imcs and one of em looked dirty so tried cleaning but spots wouldnt come off, with a toothbrush a spot did finally come off but then i saw some what looked to be copper colour, looked a little closer and saw that the spots looked a little blue which is definitely corrosion

i had no idea the ihs could corrode like that, but what would cause corrosion like this in the first place?

oh and this cpu ended up being a complete reject, could not post 3000 on 2 sticks at 1.7 or 1.86v vtt alongside the other 3 i tested today

IMG_20240330_233353.thumb.jpg.e9ba5766ec80228368cf2df120dc0b55.jpg

heres the best of the bunch last one i tested last night, finally got the ddr3 3400 screenie but im gonna preserve this thing and use my 2nd best or 3rd best cause 1.94v vtt seems to degrade these chips relatively quick atleast on air which is what im runnibg cause i have no idea how to build a dice pot and its alot funnier to destroy ln2 records with pure air cooling, second channel is pretty shit though as it wont bios boot the same 3232 as my 2nd best chip

the rejects ill probably subject to experiements like delidding or some other shit, the ones that are half competent (atleast runs >3000 on 2 sticks) probably just gonna use em for degradation testing or testing new configs

Is it possible to get better photos of the IHS?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I'd pontificate that the nickel plating on the IHS was stripped off, exposing the copper underneath which oxidized with time. Seems like somrthing more potent than water would have been needed to cause that corrosion, perhaps a harsh cleaning agent. Especially if the whole CPU is dead, seems like it might've been cleaned and nor dried, or cleaned with something too strong.

it can happen if they used some weird ass crap thermal paste and slapped it on a cooler for 6 years and it just corrodes under it.
mine after 5 years on some crap paste looked nuts but it all cleaned off

26 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Is it possible to get better photos of the IHS?

took most of the black spots off already so wouldnt really see any of the blue corrosion

18 minutes ago, da na said:

I'd pontificate that the nickel plating on the IHS was stripped off, exposing the copper underneath which oxidized with time. Seems like somrthing more potent than water would have been needed to cause that corrosion, perhaps a harsh cleaning agent. Especially if the whole CPU is dead, seems like it might've been cleaned and nor dried, or cleaned with something too strong.

i have seen a p5q pro that was corroded somewhat similarly with stuff being blue coloured, maybe saltwater or something? i mean this country is an archipelago so water is usually not that far away, as for the ihs probably just got scratched otherwise the whole thing would be corroded

19 minutes ago, OhYou_ said:

it can happen if they used some weird ass crap thermal paste and slapped it on a cooler for 6 years and it just corrodes under it.
mine after 5 years on some crap paste looked nuts but it all cleaned off

also plausible

the thing was actually just restart looping before i cleaned the gold pads which were also corroded abit (used a needle)

someone sold you their actual garbage.

i have an old CPU lid as a keychain, and even with all the torment that goes trough it doesnt have anything near what you're holding there.

nickel doesnt really corrode, and copper corrosion is green.. so neither would actually explain how blue got involved, which kind of leads me to assume some form of galvanic corrosion of mixed metals in an actual dumpster.