What possible GPU's for 1440p

Go to solution Solved by YoungBlade,
14 minutes ago, Mick T said:

using a Samsung 4k QLED tv through a Denon AVR, no particular FPS, highest I can achieve, no mods

I'm going to assume by Antec WP500P Plus that you meant that Antec VP500P Plus. In that case, you should start by getting a new power supply. That one is in the E tier according to the PSU Cultists Tier List.

After that, honestly any current or last generation GPU that originally sold for more than $300 is more than enough.

The low-end for this would be the RX 6600 or RTX 3060 12GB.

Looking on PCPartPicker for Ireland, it looks like the RX 6600 is available for €261.90 at Computer Orbit. The RTX 3060 12GB is €307.95 at Paradigit.

For some reason in Ireland, AMD current generation cards are very overpriced compared to their Nvidia counterparts, so I would ignore the RX 7000 series - I don't see a single one where the price makes sense relative to the Nvidia competition. And anything above the RX 6650XT is sold out from last gen.

There is an RTX 4060 for €334.85 at Paradigit or an RTX 4070 for €602.95. Those look like the most reasonable deals for a new current gen card out of the ones I saw on PCPartPicker.

If you really want high end, the RTX 4080 Super at €1182.95 is an option. But it's completely overkill for your current CPU - for the games you play, you'd be entirely CPU bottlenecked with that card and see no benefit over the 4070. Even at 4K, I'm not sure it would make a difference.

Budget (including currency): 1500 euro 

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Minecraft,F1, Fortnite etc

Other details (

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to get a GPU for my PC. 

My current specs are as follows

CPU -  Intel i7 8700k

MB    - GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS Gaming 3

Mem - 16GB  G-SkilL 3200 CL16 DDR4

Power Supply - Antec WP500P plus 

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Edited by Mick T
additional info

You've answered none of the questions and given no other information. With so little to help you, best we can do is provide a general list. 

3BUQTn5dZgQi7zL8Xs4WUL.png

just updated info

For those games, your requirements for 1440p are very modest. Even an ancient card like the GTX 1060 could get 60fps in all of those games at 1440p using low settings.

What is the refresh rate of your monitor? FPS range are you targeting? And what settings do you hope to play at? Will you be using any mods?

using a Samsung 4k QLED tv through a Denon AVR, no particular FPS, highest I can achieve, no mods

11 minutes ago, Mick T said:

If you really wanted to use up all that budget then go for a 4080. Could probably even do 4k with that.

I edit my messages more than not –

Probably some dude on the internet

14 minutes ago, Mick T said:

I'm going to assume by Antec WP500P Plus that you meant that Antec VP500P Plus. In that case, you should start by getting a new power supply. That one is in the E tier according to the PSU Cultists Tier List.

After that, honestly any current or last generation GPU that originally sold for more than $300 is more than enough.

The low-end for this would be the RX 6600 or RTX 3060 12GB.

Looking on PCPartPicker for Ireland, it looks like the RX 6600 is available for €261.90 at Computer Orbit. The RTX 3060 12GB is €307.95 at Paradigit.

For some reason in Ireland, AMD current generation cards are very overpriced compared to their Nvidia counterparts, so I would ignore the RX 7000 series - I don't see a single one where the price makes sense relative to the Nvidia competition. And anything above the RX 6650XT is sold out from last gen.

There is an RTX 4060 for €334.85 at Paradigit or an RTX 4070 for €602.95. Those look like the most reasonable deals for a new current gen card out of the ones I saw on PCPartPicker.

If you really want high end, the RTX 4080 Super at €1182.95 is an option. But it's completely overkill for your current CPU - for the games you play, you'd be entirely CPU bottlenecked with that card and see no benefit over the 4070. Even at 4K, I'm not sure it would make a difference.

3 minutes ago, Hellowpplz said:

If you really wanted to use up all that budget then go for a 4080. Could probably even do 4k with that.

With an i7 8700K, not not convinced that even going to 4K would justify an RTX 4080/Super. For the games the OP listed, you'd be entirely CPU limited well before that. And since the TV wasn't specified, it's safe to assume it's a 60Hz model. At best, it's 120Hz, and for games like Minecraft and Fortnite, a 4080 is beyond overkill even at 4K. They just aren't graphically demanding enough, unless in Fortnite you crank it all to the max with Lumen and Nanite, which is rather silly for a competitive game - especially when everyone recommends playing in DX11 mode for better frametimes where those aren't present.

46 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

With an i7 8700K, not not convinced that even going to 4K would justify an RTX 4080/Super. For the games the OP listed, you'd be entirely CPU limited well before that. And since the TV wasn't specified, it's safe to assume it's a 60Hz model. At best, it's 120Hz, and for games like Minecraft and Fortnite, a 4080 is beyond overkill even at 4K. They just aren't graphically demanding enough, unless in Fortnite you crank it all to the max with Lumen and Nanite, which is rather silly for a competitive game - especially when everyone recommends playing in DX11 mode for better frametimes where those aren't present.

Unless hes playing fortnite at high settings

11 minutes ago, Hellowpplz said:

Unless hes playing fortnite at high settings

Assuming you want more than 100fps at 1440p High, then yes, you'd need a beefier GPU than an RTX 4070. But it seems incredibly weird that anyone would play Fortnite at High settings and not Competitive settings - some of those settings make it harder to see enemies, not to mention the FPS reduction. The RTX 4070 is always CPU limited at Competitive settings, even with a 7800X3D, let alone an 8700K.

If you want the eye candy, it would only take some minor tweaks to the settings to get back to 120fps+ using 1440p High as your baseline. Most of the settings that tank FPS are not that noticeable, especially if gaming on a TV from a couch.

But all of this is assuming that an i7 8700K can also keep up at High settings, as some of those settings impact CPU performance as well. Assuming this video is accurate, the 8700K seems to be limiting the 1080 Ti here at 1080p High. And the 4070 is way stronger than a 1080 Ti.

i would say split your budget in half, and go am4/5 and either a 5800x3d or a 7700, i run a 5800x3d and a 7900xtx and can play quite comfortable at 4k 100fps+, not saying to get a 7900xtx, but a 4070 and one of those two with a new mobo and some nice ram sits qiute comfortably in your budget, unless you want intel, in that case try a microcenter bundle, i9 12900k 32gb ddr5 z690 mobo for $400 and then a 4080

Edited by BentleyOwen123
ass spelling haha

1 minute ago, BentleyOwen123 said:

in that case try a microcenter bundle, i9 12900k 32gb ddr5 z690 mobo

Microcenter is quite far away from Ireland. Wouldn’t a 7800X3D bundle for $30 more fit better? And be easier to cool. AMD’s cpus are quite good at F1

1 hour ago, Mick T said:

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

6 minutes ago, filpo said:

Microcenter is quite far away from Ireland. Wouldn’t a 7800X3D bundle for $30 more fit better? And be easier to cool. AMD’s cpus are quite good at F1

oh yup mb, i thought i saw pounds so i assummed uk sorry, but amazon has a similar bundle just missing the ram, although amd is fs a better value

1 hour ago, filpo said:

Microcenter is quite far away from Ireland

🤔 If they can't even make more than a few stores on the east side of the U.S how are they supposed to make stores in other countries. Moved all over the east coast and never been within 2 hours of a microcenter. I wish...

"quite far away"
Understatement of the year

image.png.b4f83550843be4013fa42c5d452ca34f.png

43 minutes ago, Hellowpplz said:

🤔 If they can't even make more than a few stores on the east side of the U.S how are they supposed to make stores in other countries. Moved all over the east coast and never been within 2 hours of a microcenter. I wish...

"quite far away"
Understatement of the year

image.png.b4f83550843be4013fa42c5d452ca34f.png

im not within 9 hours of one lol phoenix az to like tustin ca i believe

46 minutes ago, BentleyOwen123 said:

im not within 9 hours of one lol phoenix az to like tustin ca i believe

OOF
yknow considering the flight cost I would say that it's going to be more expen-

I can get an I9 13900K for 292 euros, so I might upgrade the MB as well