problems with ram upgrade

Go to solution Solved by Tetras,

It looks like the chipset is H370, is that right? If so, it should support 16Gbit memory modules, but sometimes a BIOS update is required, so if you can I'd stick with 8Gbit (1Rx8) and either try to match what you have already (CPU-Z can tell you), or buy a new kit.

If you can't change memory frequency or use XMP in the BIOS (likely that you can't), then I'd stick with boring non-gaming memory (like Kingston configurator recommends) which will work at 2666.

If you buy gaming memory it may lack the profiles to support 2666 and could end up running slower than 2666.

hi, i have hp motherboard 843b .i am interested to upgrade my ram from 8gb 2666mz to 2x 8gb 3200mz. so i want to ask you thats makes any sense and also if this is compatible with my motherboard? i woudnt buy a bad ram
thank u in advance for help 

According to this documentation from HP, the fastest memory supported would be 2666Mhz. The system may not have RAM OC settings. That said, DDR4 2666Mhz vs 3200Mhz RAM is generally the same price was (or was last time I checked) and purchasing higher clocked DIMMs won't necessarily hurt anything. If the board doesn't have the capability of running at 3200Mhz, it will simply run at stock 2666Mhz. 

What is the current configuration? 1x8GB? If so, it may be wise to simply purchase an additional 8GB @ 2666Mhz module and save some money. Just make sure to match timings. 

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

6 minutes ago, grzybson said:

pgrade my ram from 8gb 2666mz to 2x 8gb 3200mz.

That board only supports up to 2666mhz ram with maximum of 16GB

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c05991291

Only thing you can do is add an extra 8Gig ram module. For little return, unless you are ram limited.

It looks like the chipset is H370, is that right? If so, it should support 16Gbit memory modules, but sometimes a BIOS update is required, so if you can I'd stick with 8Gbit (1Rx8) and either try to match what you have already (CPU-Z can tell you), or buy a new kit.

If you can't change memory frequency or use XMP in the BIOS (likely that you can't), then I'd stick with boring non-gaming memory (like Kingston configurator recommends) which will work at 2666.

If you buy gaming memory it may lack the profiles to support 2666 and could end up running slower than 2666.

thank u so much i woud buy another 8gb 2666mz .

36 minutes ago, Skipple said:

According to this documentation from HP, the fastest memory supported would be 2666Mhz. The system may not have RAM OC settings. That said, DDR4 2666Mhz vs 3200Mhz RAM is generally the same price was (or was last time I checked) and purchasing higher clocked DIMMs won't necessarily hurt anything. If the board doesn't have the capability of running at 3200Mhz, it will simply run at stock 2666Mhz. 

What is the current configuration? 1x8GB? If so, it may be wise to simply purchase an additional 8GB @ 2666Mhz module and save some money. Just make sure to match timings. 

"timings", u means if i have 2666 i must buy another 2666 ?

15 minutes ago, grzybson said:

"timings", u means if i have 2666 i must buy another 2666 ?

You will typically see timing written as something like "16-18-18-35".

If you care about what those numbers mean, this article by Crucial is a really good write up. 

It's best practice to match the timings from DIMM to DIMM, but not strictly necessary. 

If all this is confusing it may be wise to simply purchase the same DIMM that's currently installed. Simply look up the part number on eBay and I can almost guarantee you someone is selling one. 

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.