Extreme Stuttering with fx-8350

Hey everyone, I've been trying to go through old forums to try and find a fix for this issue but haven't had any success. The system specs are:

CPU: fx-8350 @ stock speeds

motherboard: Gigabyte GA 970-Gaming sli (factory reset bios)

Ram- two sticks 16gb ddr3 1334 mghz (only one installed currently, I suspect both of them have gone bad but it still boots most of the time)

GPU: Rx480 4gb MSI

PSU: thermaltake 500w 80+ bronze rated, cheapest one at micro center I believe

Running windows 10 home

I know this build is old, its a secondary build for when i'm away from home. Whenever I run any games, I've only really tested CS2, it has a massive stuttering problem. The clock speed reduces down from 4.0 to 1.3 and the frame times go up like crazy. I have tried the following:

• Turning Quiet n Cool off in the bios
  • Turning on HPM
  • Changing windows performance mode
  • slight overclock to 4.2

From the already existing online forums many have said that their motherboard VRM was the issue, but my motherboard VRM has a pretty decent heat sink and the CPU doesn't really go above 70 C under stress. I don't think it is throttling because it still does this with the side panel open and all the throttling options disabled (Quiet n Cool with HPM on). Any advice or takes would be appreciated. I will buy new ram eventually, i'm just hesitant because I feel like the motherboard could be causing the ram issues.

12 minutes ago, familyhomegame said:

I don't think it is throttling because it still does this with the side panel open and all the throttling options disabled (Quiet n Cool with HPM on)

Do you have some settings for manual overclocking control? You can set an "overclock" that is basically stock speeds and hopefully force reasonable performance

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

70C is the issue. That CPU is extremely hot + old it's not designed to go above 61C

I would get a aftermarket CPU cooler that can handle 150 TDP OR MORE ASAP!! or at least the 125 TDP. I would currently limit the CPU to 4.0GHZ current to lower the temperature a tad bit more. 

19 minutes ago, familyhomegame said:

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

22 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

Do you have some settings for manual overclocking control? You can set an "overclock" that is basically stock speeds and hopefully force reasonable performance

I will try this, i will also slightly under clock if and see if that helps.

22 hours ago, SImoHayha said:

70C is the issue. That CPU is extremely hot + old it's not designed to go above 61C

I would get a aftermarket CPU cooler that can handle 150 TDP OR MORE ASAP!! or at least the 125 TDP. I would currently limit the CPU to 4.0GHZ current to lower the temperature a tad bit more. 

Any recommendations? I'm trying to keep the build price as low as possible but I think I might need new ram too. I did double check properly with the CPU-Z stress test and the CPU does throttle when it reaches around 70 degrees. I was thinking the Noctua low profile cooler.

On 3/26/2024 at 6:11 PM, familyhomegame said:

Any recommendations? I'm trying to keep the build price as low as possible but I think I might need new ram too. I did double check properly with the CPU-Z stress test and the CPU does throttle when it reaches around 70 degrees. I was thinking the Noctua low profile cooler.

just any brand that is like 30$ or 25$

Cooler Master brand is always a great budget friendly CPU cooler brand.

The Hyper EVO 212 was the meta build for many years.  IDK how "low profile" you need your cooler to be. But Noctua coolers are great as well.

"be quiet" is also another great brand.  though the only issue is that you might need to run older CPU coolers, since you know FX series is AM3+ an pretty old CPU family. And many solutions are 3d printed brackets to force fit newer Coolers to AM3 series. Of course you can just buy an old AM3+ cooler off of ebay or something along those lines as well.

You also might need to do some DIY jerry rigging in order to make the cooler fit. Just remember that all that a CPU cooler needs is tension and screws so it holds the CPU cooler in place.  You might need to get a 3d print bracket or something along those lines in order to make it fit.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Was this the CPU that had a janky sensor? so the 60C read from the sensor are actually 90C and it throttles.

Do get a cooler for it though, the stock cooler was not enough. Oh and it runs at a comically high voltage so make sure to undervolt as well, iirc the mobos feed it like 1.5V when most chips can run at ~1.25 at stock speeds, the key here is "most" there were bad batches that only ran at over 1.4V so instead of getting rid of them AMD told the mobo manufacturers to bump the voltage so bad chips could work. That and the "lie" about core count made FX one of the worst lineups ever.

Caroline doesn't need to hear all this, she's a highly trained professional.