How Exactly Do Double PTB Double-Shot Keycaps Work And Is It As Simple As It Sounds?

APCNewbie209
Go to solution Solved by johnt,

Hot swap is usually referring to the switches. The key caps have always been "hot swap," meaning you can change them whenever you want. The keyboard can be plugged in when you are swapping key caps.

Most key caps follow the cherry mx stem, which ends in a cross hair pattern facing the user. This usually isn't the problem between keyboards and key caps, but do be aware some keyboards and caps are not compatible.

In addition to the physical connection, you also need to consider if the key cap set you want to buy has the right keys for the rows. Usually it is the bottom row that has the most incompatibility between keyboard manufacturers. The width of the keys are measured in "u" units. So each alphabet key is a 1u key, while the bottom row has 1.25u, 1.5u, 1.75u, or 6.25/7u (space bar) variants between all the keys. It's common for most custom key cap sets to come with a key in multiple sizes so that it can fit your keyboard. But it is also not uncommon to end up with a funky sized "shift" key in place of the Windows key. Just trying to warn you.

In the case of the links you've provided, the key caps are physically compatible with each other, but don't be surprised if you have an odd key on the bottom row.

It's also PBT, not PTB 🙂 I have that set from Steel Series in white and it's actually a good set from a big name. Most of the time the big names are not as good as the boutique offerings like Drop DCX or GMK. It is definitely better than most of the cheaper sets from Amazon.

12 hours ago, Poinkachu said:

Or like, me , non speed but a very low profile linear switch

DAMN KEYBOARD MADE ME DIE TO A THUNDERJAW, AGAIN!!

I got myself a TKL!  Getting new keycaps!  I'll let you know how it is.  The Corsair K60 RGB Pro TKL!  With their onyx keycaps.  Changed it from polycarbonate or whatever to double shot!  With o-rings!  I think this will look perfect!  

3 hours ago, APCNewbie209 said:

I got myself a TKL!  Getting new keycaps!  I'll let you know how it is.  The Corsair K60 RGB Pro TKL!  With their onyx keycaps.  Changed it from polycarbonate or whatever to double shot!  With o-rings!  I think this will look perfect!  

Just so there's no confusion, those Onyx keycaps are NOT shine-through.

Meaning, the text does not light up.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/p/gaming-gear-accessories/ch-9911060-na/pbt-double-shot-pro-keycap-mod-kit-aca-a-onyx-black-na-ch-9911060-na

edit: I’m wrong

Edited by saintlouisbagels

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

1 hour ago, saintlouisbagels said:

ust so there's no confusion, those Onyx keycaps are NOT shine-through.

Meaning, the text does not light up.

Where are you getting this from? I just went through the customer photos on Amazon and all the colors have shine through legends.

I have the white version of these key caps as well and they are noticeably better than stock Corsair caps, but the Steel Series pudding is better in terms of cap thickness and PBT texturing. It's a weightier key cap compared to the Corsair.

1 hour ago, johnt said:

Where are you getting this from? I just went through the customer photos on Amazon and all the colors have shine through legends.

I have the white version of these key caps as well and they are noticeably better than stock Corsair caps, but the Steel Series pudding is better in terms of cap thickness and PBT texturing. It's a weightier key cap compared to the Corsair.

Ahh my bad. I went through all of the photos on the Corsair site and their decision to use White LED to showcase the shine-through is an extremely bizarre and subtle decision.

Also the entire product page does not once mention shine-through. So it seemed like just another set of thick non-shine-through double-shot PBT with a weird gray font choice.

edit: jeez you need to read it with a fine-tooth comb. In 1 sentence they mention “fade-free backlit legends”

Edited by saintlouisbagels

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

4 hours ago, APCNewbie209 said:

But yah know, low profile was nice while it lasted.  

I like it though.

Since combined with the low profile keycaps this keyboard's profile is pretty much the same profile as the cheap logitech membrane I've used for years.

Less finger fatigue without a wrist rest.

4 hours ago, johnt said:

I'm dying to find time to play that game. Loved the first one 

I sure hope you can enjoy it more than I do

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

On 4/9/2024 at 11:22 AM, APCNewbie209 said:

Apparently these are what's called a north facing led light.

I hate this naming....What if my desk is facing East? The light may come from the back of the keycap, but it doesn't come from the North...

5 hours ago, saintlouisbagels said:

edit: jeez you need to read it with a fine-tooth comb. In 1 sentence they mention “fade-free backlit legends”

Yeeeeah Corsair didn't make this one easy to figure out. 

3 hours ago, Poinkachu said:

I sure hope you can enjoy it more than I d

uh oh what's wrong with it? did they change the formula from the first one?

Just now, johnt said:

Yeeeeah Corsair didn't make this one easy to figure out. 

uh oh what's wrong with it? did they change the formula from the first one?

Are you sure you want me to tell you ?

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

8 hours ago, saintlouisbagels said:

Ahh my bad. I went through all of the photos on the Corsair site and their decision to use White LED to showcase the shine-through is an extremely bizarre and subtle decision.

Also the entire product page does not once mention shine-through. So it seemed like just another set of thick non-shine-through double-shot PBT with a weird gray font choice.

Yeah the legends are in fact see through.  Dude the pudding caps made red look like hot pink!  Even the darkest red looked like bright purple.  Not good.  It threw me off seeing a red legend and pink keycap base.  

4 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

I hate this naming....What if my desk is facing East? The light may come from the back of the keycap, but it doesn't come from the North...

You see.  I am an idiot.  But I guess they called it north facing led because the led point is at the north most point on the keystem.  That's what I'm guessing.  But once more.  This brain doesn't really work well so I couldn't tell yah why they called it North Facing LED.  But that's why I need the new caps because the leds leave black spots on the keyboard and diffuse so badly that white looks like blue.  Steel Series was worth a shot though.  Just gonna get some of corsairs own double shot stuff.

6 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

Because it is "up" as in the sense of "north" on a physical map. If you were to use names like "up" or "top" vs "down" or "bottom", then people might be confused as to whether the LED is below or above the switch. So for me this part makes total sense.

Where this does get ridiculous is when you consider what "southpaw" layouts are...

7 hours ago, Poinkachu said:

Are you sure you want me to tell you ?

Tell me everything but don’t ruin the story. Just say story if that’s the problem. Honestly I’m worried about that bc the first one hit me hard once her caretaker was taken.

1 hour ago, johnt said:

Tell me everything but don’t ruin the story. Just say story if that’s the problem. Honestly I’m worried about that bc the first one hit me hard once her caretaker was taken.

I'll just tell you through DM so other people who doesn't wanna know don't need to know.

Refresh before you reply

7 hours ago, APCNewbie209 said:

You see.  I am an idiot.  But I guess they called it north facing led because the led point is at the north most point on the keystem.

6 hours ago, GarlicDeliverySystem said:

Because it is "up" as in the sense of "north" on a physical map. If you were to use names like "up" or "top" vs "down" or "bottom", then people might be confused as to whether the LED is below or above the switch. So for me this part makes total sense.

I know WHY they do it, but it doesn't make me hate it any less. It is still incorrect.

8 hours ago, GarlicDeliverySystem said:

Where this does get ridiculous is when you consider what "southpaw" layouts are...

Bro I have an unhinged rant ready to go for southpaw users.  Bro.  OUT OF ALL THE LAYOUTS YOU COULD USE, YOU USE THE LEAST OPTIMAL ONE!

57 minutes ago, APCNewbie209 said:

Bro I have an unhinged rant ready to go for southpaw users.  Bro.  OUT OF ALL THE LAYOUTS YOU COULD USE, YOU USE THE LEAST OPTIMAL ONE!

So what is a southpaw layout? num pad and mouse on the left? As a lefty southpaw, I could never do that. 4 decades of living in a right handed world has me converted to mouse and numpad on the right.

5 hours ago, APCNewbie209 said:

Don't go on r/mk, the amount of people there fawning over southpaw and everything that is as far away from full-size is insane.

I can get the argument that you want to have a numpad and also space for your mouse on the right, but I don't get the obsession about not moving your hand between mouse and keyboard. If it were at least mirrored so that thumb == thumb etc. then I could see the point for the occasional excel users.

Edit:

4 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

So what is a southpaw layout? num pad and mouse on the left? As a lefty southpaw, I could never do that. 4 decades of living in a right handed world has me converted to mouse and numpad on the right.

It is numpad on the left, but keeping the mouse on the right (assumed). Example:

https://www.keychron.com/products/keychron-q12-qmk-custom-mechanical-keyboard

(and of course it is a 96% southpaw and not 100%)