How Exactly Do Double PTB Double-Shot Keycaps Work And Is It As Simple As It Sounds?

APCNewbie209
Go to solution Solved by johnt,

Hot swap is usually referring to the switches. The key caps have always been "hot swap," meaning you can change them whenever you want. The keyboard can be plugged in when you are swapping key caps.

Most key caps follow the cherry mx stem, which ends in a cross hair pattern facing the user. This usually isn't the problem between keyboards and key caps, but do be aware some keyboards and caps are not compatible.

In addition to the physical connection, you also need to consider if the key cap set you want to buy has the right keys for the rows. Usually it is the bottom row that has the most incompatibility between keyboard manufacturers. The width of the keys are measured in "u" units. So each alphabet key is a 1u key, while the bottom row has 1.25u, 1.5u, 1.75u, or 6.25/7u (space bar) variants between all the keys. It's common for most custom key cap sets to come with a key in multiple sizes so that it can fit your keyboard. But it is also not uncommon to end up with a funky sized "shift" key in place of the Windows key. Just trying to warn you.

In the case of the links you've provided, the key caps are physically compatible with each other, but don't be surprised if you have an odd key on the bottom row.

It's also PBT, not PTB 🙂 I have that set from Steel Series in white and it's actually a good set from a big name. Most of the time the big names are not as good as the boutique offerings like Drop DCX or GMK. It is definitely better than most of the cheaper sets from Amazon.

So I recently got into Keyboard customization and I really want to get this Corsair K65 Pro Mini RGB 65% keyboard.  I don't care about wireless things so wired is fine with me.  I was wondering what PTB Double-Shot Keycaps even means.  From what I think it means, you can hotswap keycaps on the fly.  But is it really that simple?  I was looking at changing the keycaps on that keyboard to this set of Steel Series Prismcaps to make the RGB more colorful.  The RGB looks pretty dim from photos compared to other keyboards.  Even my K100 looked brighter.  I also love the font of them and would love a full ring of RGB for my all Corsair setup.  I love laptop styled keyboards and I think a 65% with arrow keys would be perfect for my gaming setup!

Do I understand how this works and is it really that simple as just pulling off the keycaps on the orginal keyboard and swapping them with the new ones in like 20 minutes or is it more complicated than that?  I know it sounds dumb but I've never delved into custom keyboards and keycaps until this week.  After my K100 AIR wireless bit the dust to one of natures most crulest of punishments, Coke Zero.

I wanna know how these kinda keyboards work and how to change em'.  

Edited by APCNewbie209
more information added

Hot swap is usually referring to the switches. The key caps have always been "hot swap," meaning you can change them whenever you want. The keyboard can be plugged in when you are swapping key caps.

Most key caps follow the cherry mx stem, which ends in a cross hair pattern facing the user. This usually isn't the problem between keyboards and key caps, but do be aware some keyboards and caps are not compatible.

In addition to the physical connection, you also need to consider if the key cap set you want to buy has the right keys for the rows. Usually it is the bottom row that has the most incompatibility between keyboard manufacturers. The width of the keys are measured in "u" units. So each alphabet key is a 1u key, while the bottom row has 1.25u, 1.5u, 1.75u, or 6.25/7u (space bar) variants between all the keys. It's common for most custom key cap sets to come with a key in multiple sizes so that it can fit your keyboard. But it is also not uncommon to end up with a funky sized "shift" key in place of the Windows key. Just trying to warn you.

In the case of the links you've provided, the key caps are physically compatible with each other, but don't be surprised if you have an odd key on the bottom row.

It's also PBT, not PTB 🙂 I have that set from Steel Series in white and it's actually a good set from a big name. Most of the time the big names are not as good as the boutique offerings like Drop DCX or GMK. It is definitely better than most of the cheaper sets from Amazon.

2 minutes ago, johnt said:

Oh I don't mind an odd shifted key.  I just wanted to know how easy it was.  Sorry about the naming, I'm not good at this kinda thing.  But I watched a review from The provoked prawn and yeah!  They're hot swappable!  They look good on a new set of keycaps.  I'll give it a go!  I have an Elite Scimitar mouse from Corsair, the one with the 12 button side macros!  So I was thinking of getting a smaller keyboard instead of a second $300 keyboard that's full size that really is replaceable by a smaller keyboard since I have a 12 button keypad on my mouse anyway.  Thanks for the info!  I'll be getting that keyboard next weekend!  It looks fantastic.  Especially with those new keycaps!

7 minutes ago, johnt said:

Oddly enough I got those keycap set recommended from another friend and they're in this video by The Provoked Prawn and his video as well!  It looks much better and smoother than the default keycaps!  I guess I know what I'm getting.  Much obliged.  

27 minutes ago, APCNewbie209 said:

I was wondering what PTB Double-Shot Keycaps even means

PBT is a type of plastic, and double shot means two different types of plastic are moulded together. So PBT double shot keycaps means they are made from PBT, and (usually) that the legends are made from a different colour plastic. Compared to pad printing or laser etching, this means the legends will not wear off over time, and can't just be scratched off. 

27 minutes ago, APCNewbie209 said:

you can hotswap keycaps on the fly.  But is it really that simple? 

Mostly. The process of taking the keycaps on and off really is that simple. Make sure to use a wire keycap puller, as the plastic ones tend to scratch the sides of the keycaps. 

However, the physical layout needs to be supported. Notice how the right shift key on the K65 Pro Mini is shorter than standard. The Steelseries kit does not include a 1.75u right shift, which you would need to fit there. 

The keycaps on each row of the keyboard usually have a different shape. 

Screenshot_2024-03-25-02-12-11-28_fd7367fd0afc7e864f00091a00b3d0b0.thumb.jpg.72793bde13cbd2613c7491b9ef192228.jpg

https://www.keycaps.info/

The PgUp and PgDn keys are on different rows than standard on the K65 Pro Mini, which the Steelseries kit also does not include extras for. 

If you are going to put some thought and effort into your keyboard, I really suggest at least looking at different options than just Corsair and Steelseries. A relatively easily accessible option is Keychron, whose Q series actually offers significant differences over a $30 Redragon keyboard, in terms of typing feel, while not being that much more than Corsair's offerings. 

:)

It’s really easy to replace them. Just grab a key puller. I have one from Glorious and it works great. I can usually stack and get 3 to 5 caps at a time. 

@seon123 this is exactly what I mean by unusual caps around your keyboard. There’s probably a 1.75u somewhere in the pack, but it might not say shift on it. 

3 minutes ago, johnt said:

seon123 this is exactly what I mean by unusual caps around your keyboard. There’s probably a 1.75u somewhere in the pack, but it might not say shift on it.

But there isn't. There's no "probably", Steelseries shows all the keycaps included in the set, none of which are a 1.75u R1 keycap. There aren't even any 1.75u keycaps, no matter the profile, other than Caps Lock, which I assume will be used for Caps Lock. 

:)

1 hour ago, seon123 said:

But there isn't. There's no "probably", Steelseries shows all the keycaps included in the set, none of which are a 1.75u R1 keycap. There aren't even any 1.75u keycaps, no matter the profile, other than Caps Lock, which I assume will be used for Caps Lock. 

yup you're right. that's gonna be an issue!

@seon123 @APCNewbie209 I went back to the keyboard where I have these keycaps installed, and this was my workaround for the 1.75u shift key.

image.thumb.jpeg.c9800c18a7082494b53233b6cb555100.jpeg

On 3/25/2024 at 12:12 PM, johnt said:

@seon123 @APCNewbie209 I went back to the keyboard where I have these keycaps installed, and this was my workaround for the 1.75u shift key.

image.thumb.jpeg.c9800c18a7082494b53233b6cb555100.jpeg

Huh.  I'm actually looking at the K60 RGB Pro TKL instead of a 75%.  I'm an editor who needs those Home, Insert, Arrow Keys, etc.  that keyboard can also swap out the keycaps right?  Not the switches themselves, just the keycaps?  

Yah boy kinda broke rn and I don't need dedicated media keys taking up space.  My macro mouse the Corsair Scimitar Elite Wireless mouse doubles as my numpad anyway.  

2 hours ago, APCNewbie209 said:

Huh.  I'm actually looking at the K60 RGB Pro TKL instead of a 75%.  I'm an editor who needs those Home, Insert, Arrow Keys, etc.  that keyboard can also swap out the keycaps right?  Not the switches themselves, just the keycaps?  

Yah boy kinda broke rn and I don't need dedicated media keys taking up space.  My macro mouse the Corsair Scimitar Elite Wireless mouse doubles as my numpad anyway.  

The K60 RGB Pro TLK shows it uses switches with a cherry MX stem, so yes, you can change out the key caps freely.

On 3/30/2024 at 3:23 PM, johnt said:

The K60 RGB Pro TLK shows it uses switches with a cherry MX stem, so yes, you can change out the key caps freely.

Ah bet.  I thought it would be different since mine comes with those Corsair opx switches.  So I thought it's a different thing but they do point out in one of their pics you can change out the keycaps.  Dunno about the switches tho.  Might get some mx silent ones if it's too loud.  But thanks!  My keyboard shows up Friday and the wrist pad!  I can swap those keycaps out for my Steel Series prismcaps that came in last week!  Bet!  Good to know info thank you. 

8 hours ago, APCNewbie209 said:

Ah bet.  I thought it would be different since mine comes with those Corsair opx switches.  So I thought it's a different thing but they do point out in one of their pics you can change out the keycaps.  Dunno about the switches tho.  Might get some mx silent ones if it's too loud.  But thanks!  My keyboard shows up Friday and the wrist pad!  I can swap those keycaps out for my Steel Series prismcaps that came in last week!  Bet!  Good to know info thank you. 

Of course! I don’t believe the switches are hot swap unless the website says something different. The caps are though. 

On 4/2/2024 at 9:02 PM, johnt said:

Of course! I don’t believe the switches are hot swap unless the website says something different. The caps are though. 

Keyboard showes up tomorrow.  So the switches aren't hotswap but everything else is.  Good to know.

10 hours ago, APCNewbie209 said:

Keyboard showes up tomorrow.  So the switches aren't hotswap but everything else is.  Good to know.

Mechanical keyboard keycaps are 99% guaranteed to swappable because most of the industry has agreed on using Cherry MX stems. Sometimes there are rude models like most gaming keyboards back then where they tried to make unique switches with unique stems, but I think most of them have either gone away or switched to MX stems.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

On 4/2/2024 at 9:02 PM, johnt said:

So apparently these keycaps aren't as good as I thought compared to IRL viewings.  Oddly enough.  The pudding keycaps defuse the light quick enough to where my myopia can't see the damn legends on the keycaps!  They're too small and the light isn't strong enough to see through the legend.  Even in a dark room.  This is not good.  

I'm going to try not pudding double shot pbt keycaps.  The onyx ones from Corsair.

Apparently these are what's called a north facing led light.  Meaning light is concentrated on the north most point of the switch.  Which I was unaware of.  This also makes it have a ton of dark odd spots that really f with my OCD.  I'm gonna have to swap out these steel series caps for some regular ones.  Stuff that isn't pudding you know?  That was worth a try I'm sure it looks better on other boards but I'm about to drop another $30 on keycaps so you know what?  Not getting a new board at this point.  Should've really just stuck with regular see throughs to begin with.  

On 4/4/2024 at 10:47 PM, saintlouisbagels said:

Mechanical keyboard keycaps are 99% guaranteed to swappable because most of the industry has agreed on using Cherry MX stems. Sometimes there are rude models like most gaming keyboards back then where they tried to make unique switches with unique stems, but I think most of them have either gone away or switched to MX stems.

Why do they have to make simple things like a keyboard so complicated?  Too many options!!!  But this new tkl makes my model m keyboard look like a giant.  Good upgrade.  Especially with it not taking up half the desk!

29 minutes ago, APCNewbie209 said:

Stuff that isn't pudding you know?

I hear you. A lot of the keyboard customizations have been very disappointing, if I am honest. North facing LEDs are very, very common. In fact, south facing LEDs are even worse for shine through because the LED is obstructed behind the stem, so you basically get zero light through the legend. Corsair makes an okay keyboard. From what I recall, they make fairly bright LEDs as far as big box names go. The custom boards get a lot brighter though. But sadly nothing even remotely affordable for a beginner. There are tons and tons of boards on Amazon for good prices but they all have so many other issues 1) very sketchy software, 2) low brightness LEDs, or 3) very poor color matching (green is light blue, yellow is white).

I've had the best luck with Drop and Glorious keyboards in terms of LED brightness. I try to buy the Drop boards used from Amazon. I've picked up a $220 MSRP barebones for $68. I took the board apart completely, washed all the components I could, towel dried, I used toilet wipes on the PCB, and then fan dried for hours before reconstruction. I also found the GMMK Pro on sale for about $110. Both Drop and GMMK Pro have very bright LEDs. But sadly these boards don't come with switches, caps, or any foam (Drop). So there is a lot more cost unfortunately.

17 hours ago, APCNewbie209 said:

Why do they have to make simple things like a keyboard so complicated?  Too many options!!!  But this new tkl makes my model m keyboard look like a giant.  Good upgrade.  Especially with it not taking up half the desk!

Nothing complicated about it. All of the keyboard options are for people who need it in specific scenarios.

If you never use the NumPad, then buy a TKL.

If you want to save space, buy a 75% board.

If you're insane, buy a 65% / 60% board.

Switches are also really simple too.

Buy clicky if you want clicky.  Buy tactile or linear if you don't want clicky.

Buy speed switches if you like to blame your keyboard for being a bad gamer.

You're just overthinking the small differences in the thousands of options.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

1 hour ago, saintlouisbagels said:

Buy speed switches if you blame your keyboard for being a bad gamer.

Or like, me , non speed but a very low profile linear switch

DAMN KEYBOARD MADE ME DIE TO A THUNDERJAW, AGAIN!!

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

23 hours ago, johnt said:

I hear you. A lot of the keyboard customizations have been very disappointing, if I am honest. North facing LEDs are very, very common. In fact, south facing LEDs are even worse for shine through because the LED is obstructed behind the stem, so you basically get zero light through the legend. Corsair makes an okay keyboard. From what I recall, they make fairly bright LEDs as far as big box names go. The custom boards get a lot brighter though. But sadly nothing even remotely affordable for a beginner. There are tons and tons of boards on Amazon for good prices but they all have so many other issues 1) very sketchy software, 2) low brightness LEDs, or 3) very poor color matching (green is light blue, yellow is white).

I've had the best luck with Drop and Glorious keyboards in terms of LED brightness. I try to buy the Drop boards used from Amazon. I've picked up a $220 MSRP barebones for $68. I took the board apart completely, washed all the components I could, towel dried, I used toilet wipes on the PCB, and then fan dried for hours before reconstruction. I also found the GMMK Pro on sale for about $110. Both Drop and GMMK Pro have very bright LEDs. But sadly these boards don't come with switches, caps, or any foam (Drop). So there is a lot more cost unfortunately.

Yeah I've already gone an bought the keyboard but I will let you know how it goes with the new north facing legend keycaps rather than the pudding.  Ive had only good experiences with Corsair so far.  

23 hours ago, johnt said:

Corsairs k100 air was great.  Untill it died an honorable death.  To coke zero.  The pbt might be better for the north facing led keyboard.  They also come with o-rings for each set of keys.  So I guess that damps sound?  I dunno though.  But hey, I'll order em Thursday when I get my next check and I'll see how it goes with brighter legends and not so bright keycaps.  It was so washed out and bland and some colors looked way off from red.  It was like a hot pink!  Not good.  Giving those Corsair keys a shot.  

12 hours ago, Poinkachu said:

I'm dying to find time to play that game. Loved the first one 

5 minutes ago, johnt said:

I'm dying to find time to play that game. Loved the first one 

Dude heres my idea.  I have a TKL.  But I have a mouse with 12 buttons on the side bound to numpad keys and enter.  That sounds like a fun idea.  Also 8000MHz polling rate is insane!  I've seen so many other gaming keyboards above $100 and they don't even have that.  God I love corsairs stuff.

12 hours ago, Poinkachu said:

At least the next time I summitoneg my keyboard to the depths of hell, I can replace its keycaps as long as the stems are okay on this new keyboard!  Couldn't do that with the other one that was $300 for some God awful reason.  But yah know, low profile was nice while it lasted.