Happy Strawberry-Tips Day!

MahdiC

Never heard of Strawberry-Tips day before, but here are some tips from me:

1) Use a password manager and make sure you use unique passwords for as many services as possible. It's not uncommon for compromised accounts to be compromised because some services where you used the same password got breached.

2) Keep your software up to date. A lot of attacks happen because someone is running outdated software with known security holes.

3) Use 2-factor authentication for important services, preferably all services. 2-factor (or multi-factor) authentication will prevent your accounts from being compromised even if your password gets leaked.

4) Backup your data. Not just to some USB memory stick or some other local storage, but also back it up to somewhere off-site. For example I keep all my photos on my NAS, but also in Google Photos. If my house were to burn down, I would still have all my photos. Some people talk about the "3-2-1" rule for backups where you keep three copies of data, two local (on different media) and one offsite. I feel like that's overkill for most people but if you got the option to do it then go ahead and do it for the most important stuff.

5) Be careful with the links you click. Don't download and run suspicious software. Don't enter your information into suspicious websites. Try and limit the amount of services that have access to sensitive information.

7 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Never heard of Strawberry-Tips day before

It's the anniversary of that time the LMG channels got hijacked by crypto scammers.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.