Do I have a virus or is Microsoft ACTUALLY doing this?!

PowerPCFan
Go to solution Solved by Aleph256,

Sadly legit, have had a friend get the same some weeks ago.

As for the why... Microsoft being Microsoft I guess.

I was casually watching some YouTube when this popped up at the bottom of my screen:

(ignore the Windows XP wallpaper, it's Windows 11 latest version):

image.png.0a78d73abee323f2ee7c86096929da01.png

It looks VERY sketchy, but I ran Malwarebytes and a Windows Defender scan and both reported 0 detections. 

Is Microsoft ACTUALLY doing this?! 

(Microsoft, if you're wondering, I do NOT want to use Bing. EVERYBODY uses (and prefers!) DuckDuckGo, Yahoo, and Google. They are much better than your bloated, slow, AI search engine.)

The funny thing is, I think DuckDuckGo uses Bing as its search database, but DDG is just way better. 

MBAM scan:

image.png.118a15cd7e706667a0e59ec99b6c64d6.png

I love making PCPartPicker lists.

If I answer your question (or someone else), please mark it as the answer. 

Please refresh before replying, I like to edit my posts.

PC SPECS: Intel i5-12600K, RX 6700 XT, 32GB DDR4 RAM

Favorite cheap but great tech: AMD RX 6700 XT, Yunzii YZ75 Keyboard, Acer Nitro XV272U Vbmiiprx

Windows 11 introduces an integrated AI feature known as Copilot, which leverages the Bing search engine to deliver answers. It may be an advertisement to encourage users to enable Bing for an enhanced experience with the new Windows Copilot.

Just now, J03tz13l said:

Windows 11 introduces an integrated AI feature known as Copilot, which leverages the Bing search engine to deliver answers. It may be an advertisement to encourage users to enable Bing for an enhanced experience with the new Windows Copilot.

You're probably correct... I actually use copilot a decent amount along with Google Gemini AI (my personal favorite) so maybe they want me to get some sort of Google Chrome extension that adds Copilot or something. 

Favorite cheap but great tech: AMD RX 6700 XT, Yunzii YZ75 Keyboard, Acer Nitro XV272U Vbmiiprx

Just now, PowerPCFan said:

You're probably correct... I actually use copilot a decent amount along with Google Gemini AI (my personal favorite) so maybe they want me to get some sort of Google Chrome extension that adds Copilot or something. 

They may want you to change the search engine to Bing, to use the Windows copilot features.

Just now, J03tz13l said:

They may want you to change the search engine to Bing, to use the Windows copilot features.

Sorry Microsoft, not doing that! 

I understand Microsoft promoting Bing, but why a giant and very sketchy desktop pop-up? A push notification or even an email would be much better, although almost everybody just deletes all the promotions in their inbox. 

Sadly legit, have had a friend get the same some weeks ago.

As for the why... Microsoft being Microsoft I guess.

Just the next thing after the full screen attempt at getting you to switch to edge on login that comes up every few months. Guess given the "success" they try to still get something out of those who don't comply...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

46 minutes ago, PowerPCFan said:

It looks VERY sketchy,

What looks "very sketchy" about it? Looks like a standard windows ad to me.

It is Microsoft being Microsoft. Haven't followed up since I posted about it but I'm not aware of a way to avoid this nonsense.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

59 minutes ago, PowerPCFan said:

The funny thing is, I think DuckDuckGo uses Bing as its search database, but DDG is just way better.

They do use bing database.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

4 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

What looks "very sketchy" about it? Looks like a standard windows ad to me.

I’ve always been a Mac and Linux user, just got my first few windows pcs 2 years ago, and it looks like one of those browser hijacker ad pop up things. 

Thanks everyone, I guess it’s just Microsoft being Microsoft! 

We hate your search engine, stop promoting it. You make plenty of money through other services. (Example: windows keys and Microsoft office)

i forget where but you can turn that b.s. off I had to do the remote connect with windows to turn them off on my new computer towers. also known as forced ads !!!

2 hours ago, scruffballz_86 said:

well I hope your pc gaming is better now !!!

I got the notification on my laptop with an OEM install of windows, that’s probably why… I haven’t got it on my gaming PC, probably because I turned off all the tracking, and all the other Microsoft BS. 

• 2 weeks later...

yeah it is a bunch of bloat wear you have to remove and or disable/ turn off and find out how to make a factory restore point with all options turned off and it will ask you to replace all factory restore points and say yes and what you setup will be the new factory restore point !!! incase some one steals it from you and haven' took the h.d.d out . and have your face as the desktop background !!! and a remote password already setup and written down irl !!! so anyone who connects remote can't lock you out !!! if they try and put a new pass in. I forgot what it is called but it is a password before you get to the windows sigh in !!! use it it will help in the long run people !!! I am drunk right now but I had to put the last bit out to helps you newer people out !!! as a extra security setup !!!