raspberry pi nas vs normal nas

which is better raspberry pi or normal nas?

I built my own pc last year so this year I want to add a nas to my system for redundancy of my media library. It will be mainly used as a plex server with ssds for the storage system. 

I need it to be low power draw as possible for it to work in my off grid system. 

I need it to have no risk of losing data (raid 1)

should anything happen I need to be able to service it my self

2 or 4 bay I haven't decided yet

Is there any noticeable lag/latency when playing back files from nas to original or different pc?

Which would you suggest is the better system to go with?

You can use a intel n100 based system. like 7w idle and 15w load. Low idle is possible on almost anything really.

A pi is extremely slow as a nas. So I'd avoid those at all costs. As in transfer speeds can be so low you xant even play a bluray over network.

55 minutes ago, Master tenth said:

there any noticeable lag/latency when playing back files from nas to original or different pc?

As long as the nas isnt to weak in the cpu department and has decently speedy storage the only thing holding you back would be your network link speed. A gigabit network is plenty fast for plex.

Fyi a n100 would only be for HOSTING the media not transcoding. Plex transcoding needs better less efficient hardware

57 minutes ago, Master tenth said:

need it to have no risk of losing data (raid 1)

Oh and RAID IS NOT A BACKUP EVER AT ALL WHAT SO EVER!!!!

Raid 1 can lose data. It is NOT A BACKUP. For data security you want a separate storage somewhere that will contain your data on its own.

11 hours ago, jaslion said:

Oh and RAID IS NOT A BACKUP EVER AT ALL WHAT SO EVER!!!!

This, this, this. RAID is uptime insurance, not a backup. For a real backup, get a couple external drives, copy your files to them, and keep them in separate places.

Ideally you'd want to use a filesystem like ZFS that has snapshot capabilities, so if you accidentally delete to corrupt a file you can restore a previous version without restoring from backup. 

I sold my soul for ProSupport.