Weird high GPU process utilization in Firefox.

Recently I encountered a weird issue with Firefox renderer I believe. I know that this should probably need to be addressed by the Firefox community, but I believe this forum is a good start and way more active than Mozillas.

When I start playing a video on youtube it causes GPU spikes at over 60% utilization. If I kill that process, firefox restarts it with way less GPU usage, more in line with normal behaviour, at ~20%.

Chrome allways uses way more GPU so that's why I'm sticking with Firefox. The graphics drivers are updated to the latest version both in Intels driver utility and in ASUS's updater. (it's a ASUS Vivobook notebook with I5 11300H and Nvidia 3050).

I'm leaving here a unlisted youtube video for you to observe the behaviour. Feel free to give me any suggestion on this issue and also repost it or give a headsup to Mozilla if you have any contacts with them.

OBS Screen recording

Is it using the Nvidia GPU or Intel GPU? because your primary GPU is your iGPU. Somehow you never went back to the performance tab once you clicked on play button lol. I also never heard of Firefox Developer Edition, if its some sort of nightly, unless you have to have the bleeding edge why not stick to production releases?

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

I went over it super fast, i admit, but it was there. It set and uses the igpu. Developers edition has a couple of flags that I'm interested in mainly in the scrolling section. It's not a nightly, it's most of a step down beta version. You can see what GPU it uses in the firefox technical section. No need to go back to performace tab in task manager as i have the utilisation part opened in hwinfo where you can actually see the big spikes when using first reload of the tab versus the same page with the process restarted as it has way smaller utilisation spikes.

1 hour ago, TTL.TM said:

When I start playing a video on youtube it causes GPU spikes at over 60% utilization. If I kill that process, firefox restarts it with way less GPU usage, more in line with normal behaviour, at ~20%.

GPU "usage" isn't super straight forward. Without also taking note of clockspeed, its a bit of a meaningless stat. 60% usage at 200-400Mhz is basically nothing at the GPU's full max boost clock like you'd see in a game. 

Point made and taken, but I'm pretty sure that it was full speed ahead cause the fans started to go crazy when those spikes appeared.

Edit: as I thought, it's as it seems, not good :)) First image is original behaviour, aka the issue, the second is with the process restarted. The only small spikes you see in the second image are scrolling events. In the first one, i did absolutely nothing and it still went of the charts with the usage, temps and clocks.

Original behaviour.jpg

Process restarted.jpg