Modern coax router?

I live in house from the 1960's in Sweden and we only have old coax into the house. Our ISP (Tele2) gave us this old Sagemcom C2 router that really is a nightmare: every settings is for some reason locked down so you can't change any of the settings, it's running an old outdated software version and you can't update it, it runs really hot for some reason, we pay for 300 Mbit/s but only get ≈100 Mbit/s etc. Our ISP tells us it is supposed to be this way with this router and that everything is fine.

Is anyone aware of a modern router that has a coax input?

image.png.1447f7223ff2721bc2b85543b7887bee.png

The outlet.

image.png.35c9aba10462c0e3e100d47e0f392480.png

The cable.

image.png.bd1b9594bd097902db609357b8004386.png

The router.

Would need to check what other people using your ISP say, in many cases with cable it is outright impossible to use anything other than what they provide.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

I also know I can plug in a modern router to the LAN port on this old router, but I would prefer if I could avoid this router completely.

3 minutes ago, creat0r said:

Is anyone aware of a modern router that has a coax input?

There are plenty, but you'll have to check with your ISP to see what models they support. You need a combination modem and router.

3 minutes ago, creat0r said:

we pay for 300 Mbit/s but only get ≈100 Mbit/s etc. Our ISP tells us it is supposed to be this way with this router and that everything is fine.

The router probably only has 100 meg Fast Ethernet. (So called because it was the sequel to 10 megabit Ethernet.)

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Just now, Kilrah said:

Would need to check what other people using your ISP say, in many cases with cable it is outright impossible to use anything other than what they provide.

You can use other routers. The family who lived here before me had an even worse router that's not from Tele2.

Are you using it for anything aside from Internet? And are you looking for a replacement full combo box with modem, router, and wifi? Or do you want to separate some of those functions?

Ultimately the answer will depend on what your ISP will allow you to do. When I had coax internet, I was able to call up my ISP and have them switch my service over to my own modem which was better in every way. Some ISPs won't allow that. You might get some push back because they don't want to support your modem, I did have to do some convincing when I switched over. 

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

Some discussion here. https://old.reddit.com/r/stockholm/comments/y7baau/where_do_i_buy_a_cable_modem/

Unfortunately Tele2 (previously ComHem) runs a custom version of Euro-DOCSIS 3.1. Third-party modems might work, but are not supported, and Tele2 customer service won't help you with a third-party modem plugged in.

As somebody else said in this thread, you can run the supplied modem-router unit in bridged mode.
In bridged mode it only acts as a modem and you can use your own router. The throughput of the supplied modem-router unit is enough for all the speeds Tele2 offer.

Certainly makes it sound like Tele2 isn't very friendly with bringing your own modem. Bypassing the router functionality of that combo box may be possible though, then you just need a replacement router. 

all you need is a docsis 3.0 modem. the router is separate, buy a good router and the docsis modem separately.
Then you just have to ring your telco and tel them you are providing your own modem and you usually have to give them the mac address of it, then it works.

2 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

check with your ISP to see what models they support

I talked to them today, but their customer support is not very technical because they told me they would email me back and a few hours later they got back to me with: "We don't know for certain but most likely anything with coax should work 🙂.". Not really a confidence inspiring answer...

5 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

There are plenty

Not here in Sweden, that why I'm asking this question. Amazon.se and prisjakt.nu doesn't have anything relevant. I found on Germany's Amazon.de a FRITZ! box but it seemed to also be kind of outdated.

4 minutes ago, OddOod said:

And are you looking for a replacement full combo box with modem, router, and wifi? Or do you want to separate some of those functions?

No, only internet.

1 minute ago, OhYou_ said:

run in bridged

Settings cannot be changed settings on the C2. I can't change them and Tele2 told me even they can't change them.

5 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Tele2 customer service won't help you with a third-party modem plugged in

That's unfortunate... I guess I'll just have to plug in a modern router to the LAN port on the C2 without having the C2 in bridge mode...

Still, if anyone is able to link some good modern routers (preferably available within the EU so amazon.se or amazon.de for example) with coax modem built-in I'm still willing to try. I've just been unable to find routers with coax input at all.

1 minute ago, creat0r said:

That's unfortunate... I guess I'll just have to plug in a modern router to the LAN port on the C2 without having the C2 in bridge mode...

Not going to be the best experience, having two routers in series like that. Referred to as being "double NAT-ed". May not necessarily cause a speed issue but can certainly cause some unforeseen connectivity issues with certain things. Ideally you'd want to disable NAT/DHCP on the provided ISP router/modem combo box to do this effectively so it solely functions as a modem. 

1 minute ago, creat0r said:

unable to find routers with coax input

That would be because most people that want to replace the extremely low grade modem-router-wifi combo box that they get from the ISP want to separate out at least the modem and the router-wifi parts. Thus, combo boxes are rare. 
If you were my friend and in my area, I'd strongly recommend an Arris Surfboard (6183 if you were <200mbps or 8200 if you wanted closer to gigabit), paired with an Archer AX55 wifi router.
But if you absolutely must have a full combobox, the Arris Surfboard SBG8300 seems not terrible

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

3 hours ago, creat0r said:

s anyone aware of a modern router that has a coax input

What you probably have a a Docsis Gateway (modem/Router). There are tons of Docsis modems on the market. The issue is they need to be supported by your ISP.

As an alternative many of these combo boxes can be put in to bridge mode, if the ISP allows and basically it turns the router part off and just makes it in to a modem, then you can just buy a standard router, if all your looking to do is have a better router/WiFi setup.

I have a CM1000v2 as my modem and a Synology RT2600AC as my router.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.