PC upgrade gone WRONG! (Motherboard issue??)

Go to solution Solved by SpookyCitrus,

Most likely a ram issue, I'd test with a single stick, or separate kit/stick all together. Ram compatibility on AM5 is super hit or miss. 

Hey, I'm trying to upgrade my spouses PC; they were previously on an mildly old Intel CPU. I previously upgraded their GPU to a 4070 (before the TI was out, rip.) The GPU worked perfectly fine in the old build. Now I've upgraded the CPU to a Ryzen 7 7800X3D; due to the switch to Team Red, I've also upgraded their Motherboard to a MSI MPG B650I Edge Wifi and since that board needs DDR5 memory, their RAM is now the Corsair DDR5 5600MHz 16x2 set. So quite a few changes at this point.

Full current setup:

• CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D
  • GPU: Zotac RTX 4070
  • RAM: Corsair DDR5 5600MHz 16x2
  • MotherBoard: MSI MPG B650I Edge Wifi
  • Power Supply: ThermalTake 80plus Smartseries 700W
  • CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X53
  • Case: NZXT H210

The problem:

SOOOO the problem is that it won't POST right now. When powering on the PC, the lights come up, everything seems to turn on, but no output to the monitor. There's also two lights that can be seen on the motherboard; a yellow and red light, solid and non-flashing.

All fans, pump, and lights come on, but no ones home.

Attempted Solutions:

• All HDMI and DP have been tried on both the GPU and the motherboard
  • Reseated the CPU
  • Reseated the GPU
  • Reseated the RAM
  • All connections have been reseated
  • Clearing BIOS with CMOS button
  • Unplugging the CMOS battery for 5 minutes
  • Flashing the BIOS with an updated BIOS on an external USB using the dedicated flash button and USB slot
  • Research has led me to believe all components are compatible at this time
  • Attempted to boot with only PSU and monitor plugged in; no peripherals

No changes from anything. Just those damn little red and yellow lights boring into my brain like Elon Musk suggesting a "great idea" for Vegas traffic.

Ideas would be much appreciated.

photo_2024-03-20_19-45-36.jpg

photo_2024-03-20_19-45-34.jpg

Seems like a regular AM5 and X3D compatibility issue that happens often. What is your RAM latancy? Your solution might just be trying different RAM siting combos, trying with one stick, updating your BIOS, trying the RAMs in another PC, trying other RAMs in this PC. If it can work with a different spare RAM stick but not any of these ones then you might have to buy another kit that could work with your AM5 CPU.

But other than that I think the 7800X3D is needlessly overkill with a 4070, and I would pair a 7800X3D with faster than 5600MTs RAMs as well.

Most likely a ram issue, I'd test with a single stick, or separate kit/stick all together. Ram compatibility on AM5 is super hit or miss. 

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |