hx1000i - what to connect to 4070 ti super

wolfgangam

Hello,

Quick question, there is the Type-4 cable, which doesn't seem to be have the connection for this card

and then there are 2 pcie cables, both with 8 pin connection at the end + pig tails with another 6+2

I understand that it's better to connect 2 separate cables, but my question is, do I connection the full 8 pin which has 7 pin + 1 empty , or do I connect the pig-tails which has 6+2 , with no empty pins . 

thanks

4 minutes ago, wolfgangam said:

but my question is, do I connection to full 8 pin which has 7 pin + 1 empty

that's normal, it's on all 8 pins

it's the green one on the top left 

connector - What are "sense" pins in 8-pin PCI Express power plug ...

5 minutes ago, wolfgangam said:

but my question is, do I connection to full 8 pin which has 7 pin + 1 empty , or do I connect the pig-tails which has 6+2 , with no empty pins . 

shouldn't matter too much. 

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

Hello,

Quick question, there is the Type-4 cable, which doesn't seem to be have the connection for this card

and then there are 2 pcie cables, both with 8 pin connection at the end + pig tails with another 6+2

I understand that it's better to connect 2 separate cables, but my question is, do I connection the full 8 pin which has 7 pin + 1 empty , or do I connect the pig-tails which has 6+2 , with no empty pins . 

thanks

The 6+2 * 2 end goes to the GPU, the single 8 pin side goes to the PSU.

You can use a single cable perfectly fine as well with its 6+2 * 2 end to adapt to 12VHWPR for your 4070ti Super, no need for a second cable. You can also get a 1st party internally adapted cable from Corsair for like $30 or so. Basically the same thing but without the extra bulk and complexity.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

2 minutes ago, Agall said:

The 6+2 * 2 end goes to the GPU, the single 8 pin side goes to the PSU.

You can use a single cable perfectly fine as well with its 6+2 * 2 end to adapt to 12VHWPR for your 4070ti Super, no need for a second cable. You can also get a 1st party internally adapted cable from Corsair for like $30 or so. Basically the same thing but without the extra bulk and complexity.

there is an 8 pin that goes to the power supply and there is another 8 pin at the other side with another 6+2 pig tail attached to it.

from flipo reply, it seems that I can connect the 8 pin that has one empty pin 

1 minute ago, wolfgangam said:

there is an 8 pin that goes to the power supply and there is another 8 pin at the other side with another 6+2 pig tail attached to it.

from flipo reply, it seems that I can connect the 8 pin that has one empty pin 

There's an end that goes into the PSU and one that goes to the GPU. The pigtail side goes to the GPU, the other side goes to the PSU.

Whether its 7 or 8 pins electrically doesn't matter as long as its an included cable with the PSU. The PSU side connectors have no standard to them, so manufacturers do whatever they want and what's internally cheapest/most efficient. Corsair in this case chose to probably leave out a ground and just splice it off another. The component side, in this case a graphics card AUX connector, is standard.

4 minutes ago, Agall said:

There's an end that goes into the PSU and one that goes to the GPU. The pigtail side goes to the GPU, the other side goes to the PSU.

Whether its 7 or 8 pins electrically doesn't matter as long as its an included cable with the PSU. The PSU side connectors have no standard to them, so manufacturers do whatever they want and what's internally cheapest/most efficient. Corsair in this case chose to probably leave out a ground and just splice it off another. The component side, in this case a graphics card AUX connector, is standard.

The end that goes into the PSU has all the pins.

The other end has 8 pin , with one empty and pigtail 6+2

I connected the 8 pin with the empty pin, not the pigtail

The end that goes into the PSU has all the pins.

The other end has 8 pin , with one empty and pigtail 6+2

I connected the 8 pin with the empty pin, not the pigtail

I and probably others don't understand the question then or confusion. Unless something isn't working, how I've described it twice is how its supposed to be connected.

one end of the cable, looks like this 

PCIe-8pin-to-6-2Pin-Power-supply-Cable-G

see the 8 pin? it has 1 empty pin, bottom right, like in flipo image , and the 2+6 has all the pins connected  the 2+6 is "pig-tail" to the 8 pin. i connected the 8 pin which seems to be the main one

8 minutes ago, wolfgangam said:

one end of the cable, looks like this 

see the 8 pin? it has 1 empty pin, bottom right, like in flipo image , and the 2+6 has all the pins connected  the 2+6 is "pig-tail" to the 8 pin. i connected the 8 pin which seems to be the main one

I'd forget looking at the actual pins and focus on the cable. As long as its a PCIe cable it will work. 

If you want to simplify things, Corsair makes a dedicated cable for 12VHPWR GPU's that was linked above.