What is the best TV streaming device?

Hi all,

I have Fire TV Stick 4K Max and I do not like it much. First it has too much build in amazon ads, and secondly I have  a problem that I cannot install Plexamp for music on it. Today I bought NVIDIA Shield Pro, and I thought that I solved my problem, but heck, it does not support AV1 decoding (and my whole plex library is in AV1). What a bammer.

So what is the best solution for home entertainment/streaming device right now? I was thinking of getting new Amazon Fire Cube, but I guess I will not like the ads there as well. Any other suggestions?

Edit: PS: I am not in apple acosystem and I like having option to sideload apps.

Unfortunately, those boxes have long since evolved from "tech toy for those in the know to watch content on" to "marketing tool to push the masses onto streaming platforms".

I've been using Roku for quite some time, and in general they've been decent. You'll still get ads and suggested content, but anecdotally it seems like it's been getting worse over the last couple years.

If you don't want to go full "roll your own" with a Pi or regular HTPC, you could try an Android TV box. Don't buy the sketchy no-name ones off Amazon; the Onn one from Walmart is surprisingly capable for its price. (Plus it's far less likely to include spyware.)

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

4 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

Unfortunately, those boxes have long since evolved from "tech toy for those in the know to watch content on" to "marketing tool to push the masses onto streaming platforms".

I've been using Roku for quite some time, and in general they've been decent. You'll still get ads and suggested content, but anecdotally it seems like it's been getting worse over the last couple years.

If you don't want to go full "roll your own" with a Pi or regular HTPC, you could try an Android TV box. Don't buy the sketchy no-name ones off Amazon; the Onn one from Walmart is surprisingly capable for its price. (Plus it's far less likely to include spyware.)

Watched entire video and I do not like any of those options. I can budget more then 100$ if I find something which can do everything I need, I just need to find something that have everything.

And everything is playing AV1 (this is the must, my entire Plex library is in AV1), support for 4K, HDR10, HDR10+, DolbyVision. Also posibility to install plexamp app, or some good alternative to play music from local network. I would preffer wired connection to router and not having ads.

It looks like onn does not tick all the boxes (Also I am not in USA). Today I tried shiled pro and this one is not ticking all the boxes too (AV1 support). Prev get Fire Stick 4K v1 max have ads and I cannot make plex amp to work, and no wired connection, but I am still using it.

I have PC connected to same tv, but I want convince of remote and specialized device. Is RPi strong enough?

On 3/19/2024 at 5:46 PM, Vasoli said:

Watched entire video and I do not like any of those options. I can budget more then 100$ if I find something which can do everything I need, I just need to find something that have everything.

And everything is playing AV1 (this is the must, my entire Plex library is in AV1), support for 4K, HDR10, HDR10+, DolbyVision. Also posibility to install plexamp app, or some good alternative to play music from local network. I would preffer wired connection to router and not having ads.

It looks like onn does not tick all the boxes (Also I am not in USA). Today I tried shiled pro and this one is not ticking all the boxes too (AV1 support). Prev get Fire Stick 4K v1 max have ads and I cannot make plex amp to work, and no wired connection, but I am still using it.

I have PC connected to same tv, but I want convince of remote and specialized device. Is RPi strong enough?

Probably not, and there’s no DV support on Linux.