Retro Gaming Advice ?

Hello .. 

I could use some advice .. I really want to get back into NES and SEGA games .. but don't really have the room to store everything so we looking into those devices that have the hundreds of games installed on them .. but I remember a video Linus did where most of those were bad .... 

So wanted some advice on if there is a unit I could buy that was good ... Hope that makes sense .. 

Thanks for the help .. 

Why not just use a PC (I have one hooked to my TV in the living room)?  Pretty much all those devices or emulation is definitely not legal, especially if you don't even own the games. 

That aside, I'll say I use emulation a fair amount as it's easier (and I have a large physical collection of games and consoles). That being said you'll still come across games that still work better on the original hardware. The example I typically give people is PunchOut on the NES. It's just not frame perfect on emulation, and it makes a difference. 

For emulation I use USB controllers (not all I have but many of them):

controllers.jpg

However there are some games that have specialty controllers where they are just better with those controllers, which makes it better on original hardware. (Games that use Atari paddle controllers for example). 

Just a thought, as the PC might be more useful than a bunch of individual retro consoles that are just emulation boxes anyways. 

Honestly, given that rPis are no long unobtainium, I'd just buy/build a retroPie

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

emulator or snes/sega mini. thow there are fakes out there...

i whent down the rabit hole of getting the console to work.... not worth it imo

i guess you could like mod a wii to emulate as well probly the cheapest way.

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

• 3 weeks later...

Easy and free  -> use the pc that you already have, or repurpose an old one. Unless you are doing 3D era consoles - you can run it on anything. Nice interface (frontend) would be Emulation Station.

Dedicated -> Raspberry Pi + RetroPie

Need more juice -> used desktop/laptop or the cheapest Steam Deck