Does upgrading my laptop from 16inch to 18inch makes major difference?

Go to solution Solved by voyager_,

it has its benefits, I have a 17in msi and compared to my work laptops 15.6" it's definitely noticeable. It's an older one with either a 1440 or 1080 display (I don't remember at this point) and I find it's easier to use with having the text slightly larger and I prefer it playing games. I have had a 4k laptop from work and honestly hated it to the point I switched. The 4k made the text to hard to read and scaling didn't always help. For my personal laptop I love the larger screen, I just find it much easier to use and it helps most have a larger keyboard layout. The extra size can be a pain when you want to take it places, it wouldn't fit in my old backpack or rolling bag so I did have to get one that would fit the larger laptop. My Msi doesn't weigh any more then my other computers but some can get pretty heavy. I ended up buying a 14in hp probook that can play factorio and other lighter games, play movies, and do minor tasks that I can easily travel with.

As others have suggested you could always get a monitor and plug it in but I find if im going to use my laptop it's on the couch, otherwise I use my desktop with an ultrawide.

TLDR: It's honestly personal choice, I prefer it for home use. Travel can be more difficult since most bags are designed around smaller computers. Weight difference isn't a huge difference but if you travel frequently you'll probably want a smaller and lighter computer. If it's occasional I really like the larger display, that little bit makes a big difference. Best thing I could recommend is find somewhere that has the screen size your wanting and try them side by side. After having a 17in MSI I won't go back, I have a 14in for taking places and my work laptop is a 15.6in and I don't like the screen size, I find it's much harder to work on.聽

Hello guys 馃檪
I'm interested in upgrading my device from 16 inch to 18 inch but that's going to cost me more than 2k$.
So, I was wondering, how much of a difference does it make for gaming / working those extra 2 inches?

Currently working on Lenovo Thinkpad P16 Gen 2, thinking about upgrading to聽ASUS ROG Strix SCAR.
Both are extreme beasts, I know, but that's what I'm working with.

So, has anybody made this kind of a change?
Was it worth it? made a big change or not so much?

Thanks.

Add me on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Evyalectric/

OR add me to your friends list on GTA V - Wiser94

5 minutes ago, Evyatar said:

Lenovo Thinkpad P16 Gen 2

specs? depending on what they are and how this is for you then, no realistically, the extra screen space is not gonna do much聽

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help聽

Current parts list:聽

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

it depends on the resolution of the display, if the resolution of the 18 inch model is the same as the 16 inch one, everything will simply look larger (and you might be able to see individual pixels more clearly). If the 18 inch has a markedly higher resolution, you will be able to fit an extra inch or so of windows.聽

Regardless of dimensions, the amount you can fit on your screen is mostly denoted by the resolution and what you set your scaling to.

If I really needed a bigger display I would just hook up the laptop to a monitor. Honestly if you hook up a keyboard and mouse as well then you can usually use a laptop like a desktop. Also keep in mind that there are portable monitors if you are concerned about portability. Also you can use it in conjunction with your laptop screen to run a 2 monitor solution giving way more space.聽

18" laptops are pretty bulky / heavy. Unless you NEED the extra screen size.

IMO, the bigger the laptop, the less "portable" it becomes.

Also, both laptops are complete opposites of each other, so what is your purpose?

The Lenovo ThinkPad P16 is a mobile workstation with a RTX Ada GPU, while the ASUS is a gaming laptop.

Intel Z390 Rig聽(聽*NEW* Primary聽)

Intel X99聽Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1聽GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ聽DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk聽480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO+聽 500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod聽Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K @聽4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler聽 NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD +聽Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550WEVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in CrossfireSapphire NITRO聽R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<>聽Electrical Engineer , B.Eng<>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence聽<>

it has its benefits, I have a 17in msi and compared to my work laptops 15.6" it's definitely noticeable. It's an older one with either a 1440 or 1080 display (I don't remember at this point) and I find it's easier to use with having the text slightly larger and I prefer it playing games. I have had a 4k laptop from work and honestly hated it to the point I switched. The 4k made the text to hard to read and scaling didn't always help. For my personal laptop I love the larger screen, I just find it much easier to use and it helps most have a larger keyboard layout. The extra size can be a pain when you want to take it places, it wouldn't fit in my old backpack or rolling bag so I did have to get one that would fit the larger laptop. My Msi doesn't weigh any more then my other computers but some can get pretty heavy. I ended up buying a 14in hp probook that can play factorio and other lighter games, play movies, and do minor tasks that I can easily travel with.

As others have suggested you could always get a monitor and plug it in but I find if im going to use my laptop it's on the couch, otherwise I use my desktop with an ultrawide.

TLDR: It's honestly personal choice, I prefer it for home use. Travel can be more difficult since most bags are designed around smaller computers. Weight difference isn't a huge difference but if you travel frequently you'll probably want a smaller and lighter computer. If it's occasional I really like the larger display, that little bit makes a big difference. Best thing I could recommend is find somewhere that has the screen size your wanting and try them side by side. After having a 17in MSI I won't go back, I have a 14in for taking places and my work laptop is a 15.6in and I don't like the screen size, I find it's much harder to work on.聽