Do I need to upgrade my motherboard for gaming, or am I fine?

I'm currently using an ASRock 970 Extreme3 AM3+ Mobo with an AMD FX-4100 and a Geforce GTX 260. If I plan on Upgrading, let's say my GPU, and I want to get a GTX 680 or a 7970. Would I be fine with my current motherboard, or should I consider upgrading that as well? I consider myself fairly educated when it comes to PCs, but I'm not sure at this point. :p

Yes, it would be perfectly fine with the motherboard but not with the CPU as that 4100 will bottleneck a 680 or 7970.

motherboard is fine, you think about upgrading the FX4100 CPU to a FX 83XX CPU or something for some extra performance...

CPU: AMD FX 8120 @4.5Ghz - CPU cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 240M Watercooling - Mobo: Asus M5A97Pro - GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X Vapor-X @ 1200Mhz - Memory: Kingston Hyper X 16GBs DDR3 - Storage: Kingston SSD & Seagate Baracude HDD - PSU: Cooler Master V850W PSU- Case: Cooler Master Cosmost II

-- Build Log old PC (HAF XB): 'the Cube': http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/36288-the-cube-cooler-master-haf-xb/ --

I figured that much. I wasn't really planning on actually getting a 680/7970 anyways. :p

I was just using them as examples. But thank you very much for the help!

Also, I've been hearing people say that the Phenom II's still beat the FX line in gaming benchmarks. Do you see that to be true?

Also, I've been hearing people say that the Phenom II's still beat the FX line in gaming benchmarks. Do you see that to be true?
The Piledriver architecture is better than Phenom II. Buy 83XX and not 81XX.

Alright, thank you!

Bulldozer wasnt that much faster then Phenom.... The new Piledriver 83xx is the next step and performance is better...

CPU: AMD FX 8120 @4.5Ghz - CPU cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 240M Watercooling - Mobo: Asus M5A97Pro - GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X Vapor-X @ 1200Mhz - Memory: Kingston Hyper X 16GBs DDR3 - Storage: Kingston SSD & Seagate Baracude HDD - PSU: Cooler Master V850W PSU- Case: Cooler Master Cosmost II

-- Build Log old PC (HAF XB): 'the Cube': http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/36288-the-cube-cooler-master-haf-xb/ --

if you plan on going to piledriver you might as well just get a 2500k or 3570k and it owns them in gaming benches

no point of buying piledriver cards

If I had one wish, I would ask for a big enough ass for the whole world to kiss

if you plan on going to piledriver you might as well just get a 2500k or 3570k and it owns them in gaming benches no point of buying piledriver cards

yeah but going intel would mean he has to buy a new motherboard AND cpu... a FX CPU he will be able to pop in his motherboard he already owns .... ;)

if you plan on going to piledriver you might as well just get a 2500k or 3570k and it owns them in gaming benches no point of buying piledriver cards

He already has a board that supports the 8350 and you have to consider the possibility that he has the OEM version of Windows. If he does have the OEM version then he'll have to buy a new copy if he gets a new board.

If the OP is planning on upgrading to 8350 make sure you are on BIOS version is P1.50

go intel just do it save yourself the hassle

What hassle?

Stay with AMD and save yourself the hassle of changing your motherboard, redoing your cable management, and re-installing your OS.

I agree with most on this. Your board is fine just upgrade that cpu.

Let's not try to start an AMD - Intel flame war.

OP: Your current board is fine, if you feel like you are getting bottlenecked in games, upgrade to a Piledriver cpu (43xx or 63xx or 83xx)

i think a piledriver CPU will be a better choice because of its single and dual core performance.

I would change the CPU first to be perfectly honest. Maybe something like an FX 8320? Because the FX 4100 would bottle neck your system hard if you got a GTX680/HD 7970. And I think you GTX260 may run slightly if not a fair few frames higher if you upgrade the CPU. Plus you can multitask better if you got the 8320. And in my opinion... your motherboard does not need a change. It is fine as it is =). I hope you find what's good for your system!

AMD is not bad. He just needs to get something like an FX6300 or 8320. And going Intel would mean changing the mobo AND the CPU which would result in higher cost and unnecessary expenditure.

You do know that the 8350 performs VERY close to the 3570k and beats it in ALL multi-threaded programs. Both CPUs are good, but getting the 8350 means he wouldn't need to waste money on a new MoBo

You do know that the 8350 performs VERY close to the 3570k and beats it in ALL multi-threaded programs. Both CPUs are good' date=' but getting the 8350 means he wouldn't need to waste money on a new MoBo[/quote']

Please, can we not make this into an AMD - Intel flame war.

AMD is not bad. He just needs to get something like an FX6300 or 8320. And going Intel would mean changing the mobo AND the CPU which would result in higher cost and unnecessary expenditure.

Actually going to a 1100T would me better.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

You do know that the 8350 performs VERY close to the 3570k and beats it in ALL multi-threaded programs. Both CPUs are good' date=' but getting the 8350 means he wouldn't need to waste money on a new MoBo[/quote']

I have a 1100T and its all I've ever needed. Does he need to upgrade to Intel to use a card like that? No. Would he get better performance in gaming if he got a 3570k? Yes.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.