Is buying used monitors a good idea?

I'm looking for a monitor that's at least 1080p 120hz or preferably 1440p 120hz to replace the "monitor" that's really just a tv that's 1080p 60hz. Is it a good idea to buy used? 

ya why not they should be cheap thow a few years ago people wanted too much for em for w/e reason... 🤷‍♂️

if they can provied a pic of it working why not. monitors last a long time mostly you get bord of it and want to repalce it before it dies. i had one die on me in the 20ish years ive been in to pcs...

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

9 minutes ago, Fat Cat11997 said:

Is it a good idea to buy used? 

Yeah, it's a fairly decent idea. You can get some pretty good monitors used for cheap. I'd just make sure to test it if you can (having the guy display an image of your choosing and take a photo is usually fine if you can't test at their house), and personally I would avoid shipping just because every monitor I've had shipped has arrived damaged. 

I'd be a bit more hesitant if it were an OLED monitor just out of concerns of burn in, but those are rare enough that it wouldn't really worry about it. 

3 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

i had one die on me in the 20ish years ive been in to pcs...

Same here (though closer to 10 years than 20), and the one I had "die" on me in reality just ended up getting a vertical line on it out of nowhere, and I still use it from time to time for test benches.