TrueNAS restore drives after server power outage

Hi,

I am running a true nas VM on my proxmox server, after the system powered off during a power outage.

Both drives were removed from the storage pools they were assigned to and I am having trouble adding the drives back to the pools without wiping the drives 

Currently at work but can update with more information, when I get home

On 3/14/2024 at 10:37 PM, TomShaw said:

Hi,

I am running a true nas VM on my proxmox server, after the system powered off during a power outage.

Both drives were removed from the storage pools they were assigned to and I am having trouble adding the drives back to the pools without wiping the drives 

Currently at work but can update with more information, when I get home

Going to need to know more information. 

Can proxmox see the drives but not truenas? 

Can truenas see them? 

How did you assign the disks to begin with? 

17 hours ago, m9x3mos said:

Going to need to know more information. 

Can proxmox see the drives but not truenas? 

Can truenas see them? 

How did you assign the disks to begin with? 

Maybe the disk id (Ex. SDA SDB) has changed since the system restarted and ProxMox does not have the drives assigned to the TrueNAS VM. Just guessing.

18 minutes ago, DaMelloOne said:

Maybe the disk id (Ex. SDA SDB) has changed since the system restarted and ProxMox does not have the drives assigned to the TrueNAS VM. Just guessing.

I think that is a safe guess. 

I have seen that happen a few times depending on how drives get initialized. 

TrueNAS can see the drives in the main menu,

I assigned the drives through prox mox and added the drives in the console through adding the serial numbers

I have added some images I hope they help

image.png.8c2b4a065ca610b3d45be8657ecaa442.png

image.thumb.png.703aef600ec556ab64f0e73571f2574c.png

image.png.a7471b85bc3ef0b2011424400cf12fcb.png

1 hour ago, TomShaw said:

TrueNAS can see the drives in the main menu,

I assigned the drives through prox mox and added the drives in the console through adding the serial numbers

I have added some images I hope they help

image.png.8c2b4a065ca610b3d45be8657ecaa442.png

image.thumb.png.703aef600ec556ab64f0e73571f2574c.png

image.png.a7471b85bc3ef0b2011424400cf12fcb.png

If you go into the pool status on truenas what does it say about the disks there? 

That first screen is for adding new disks to an existing pool. 

Since you got truenas to see the drive again,I would try rebooting again to see if it picks it up again on it's own before doing anything else. 

Normally with bare metal it would just pick it up again. 

When I replicated this in hyper v that is exactly what it did. 

Importing the other pool/drive Prox media gives me this error:

[EZFS_IO] Failed to import 'ProxMedia' pool: cannot import 'ProxMedia' as 'ProxMedia': I/O error
remove_circle_outline

Error: concurrent.futures.process._RemoteTraceback: """ Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/zfs_/pool_actions.py", line 227, in import_pool zfs.import_pool(found, pool_name, properties, missing_log=missing_log, any_host=any_host) File "libzfs.pyx", line 1369, in libzfs.ZFS.import_pool File "libzfs.pyx", line 1397, in libzfs.ZFS.__import_pool libzfs.ZFSException: cannot import 'ProxMedia' as 'ProxMedia': I/O error During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred: Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/lib/python3.11/concurrent/futures/process.py", line 256, in _process_worker r = call_item.fn(*call_item.args, **call_item.kwargs) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 112, in main_worker res = MIDDLEWARE._run(*call_args) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 46, in _run return self._call(name, serviceobj, methodobj, args, job=job) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 34, in _call with Client(f'ws+unix://{MIDDLEWARE_RUN_DIR}/middlewared-internal.sock', py_exceptions=True) as c: File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 40, in _call return methodobj(*params) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/schema/processor.py", line 181, in nf return func(*args, **kwargs) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/zfs_/pool_actions.py", line 207, in import_pool with libzfs.ZFS() as zfs: File "libzfs.pyx", line 529, in libzfs.ZFS.__exit__ File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/zfs_/pool_actions.py", line 231, in import_pool raise CallError(f'Failed to import {pool_name!r} pool: {e}', e.code) middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EZFS_IO] Failed to import 'ProxMedia' pool: cannot import 'ProxMedia' as 'ProxMedia': I/O error """ The above exception was the direct cause of the following exception: Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 427, in run await self.future File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 465, in __run_body rv = await self.method(*([self] + args)) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/schema/processor.py", line 177, in nf return await func(*args, **kwargs) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/schema/processor.py", line 44, in nf res = await f(*args, **kwargs) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/pool_/import_pool.py", line 113, in import_pool await self.middleware.call('zfs.pool.import_pool', guid, opts, any_host, use_cachefile, new_name) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1399, in call return await self._call( ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1350, in _call return await self._call_worker(name, *prepared_call.args) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1356, in _call_worker return await self.run_in_proc(main_worker, name, args, job) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1267, in run_in_proc return await self.run_in_executor(self.__procpool, method, *args, **kwargs) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1251, in run_in_executor return await loop.run_in_executor(pool, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs)) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EZFS_IO] Failed to import 'ProxMedia' pool: cannot import 'ProxMedia' as 'ProxMedia': I/O error