Did I broke my new MoBo with the Ryzen heat sink?

PolloTech

Hey there, lask week i bought a new setup, it's been ~8 years since my last build and i wanted this build to last as much as posible, this is my configuration

NZXT H7 Flow

Corsair Vengeance DDR5, 5600MHz, 32GB (2 x 16GB) (CMK32GX5M2B5600C36)

ASUS ATX TUF GAMING B650-PLUS WIFI, S-AM5, ATX
AMD Ryzen 5 8500G 
NZXT C650 Gold 80 Plus 650W

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 GAMING X

While building it last night I screw all the 4 screws of the heatsink all the way in not using excesive force but making sure it was completly in
I shorted the two pins to power the pc and Alas, nothing happened, no power no fans no lights, and spent almost all nigth looking for the problem, i've decided I was gonna return to waranty the CPU and MoBo based out of nothing, ( tested the PSU and it was working just fine )
mid way the dissasemble of the MoBo I was curious because I saw a video where someone turn on a MoBo just like mine without the CPU, removed the heatsink and forgot to remove CPU, shorted the pins and... it was working!

After testing I've discover that if I screw the heatsink it stoped working, and test the limit of the pressure, necesary to not overheat (~80° stable in cpu diode in full load) and to turn on run AIDA 64 and Furmark and everything seems fine

Im gonna return the MoBo to warranty but my question is did i brake it? I've never had an lga type socket before, it's normal?  my previous build was with a Ryzen 3 3000x and didn't have the same problem

Thank you guys for the response, my apologies if something is bad written, english is not my first language

Seems like a silly obvious question, but is your CPU fan plugged in? Many modern motherboards refuse to boot if the CPU_FAN header isn't populated.

What exactly do you mean by this:

After testing I've discover that if I screw the heatsink it stoped working, and test the limit of the pressure, necesary to not overheat (~80° stable in cpu diode in full load) and to turn on run AIDA 64 and Furmark and everything seems fine

Are you putting the heatsink on the CPU but not tightening it down? Are you tightening it down just enough to not hit the line before it stops booting?

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Seems like a silly obvious question, but is your CPU fan plugged in? Many modern motherboards refuse to boot if the CPU_FAN header isn't populated.

What exactly do you mean by this:

Are you putting the heatsink on the CPU but not tightening it down? Are you tightening it down just enough to not hit the line before it stops booting?

@Crunchy Dragon

Yes, the CPU_FAN header is plugged in 

Are you putting the heatsink on the CPU but not tightening it down? 
 - Yes, not tightening it too much 
Are you tightening it down just enough to not hit the line before it stops booting?
 - YES, it dont turn on, let alone booting

Edited by PolloTech

1 minute ago, PolloTech said:

Are you tightening it down just enough to not hit the line before it stops booting?

Also seems like a silly question but is anything bent? Maybe the heatsink contacts so that when you try to tighten it down it bends the cpu / mobo?

I edit my messages more than not –

Probably some dude on the internet

1 minute ago, Hellowpplz said:

Also seems like a silly question but is anything bent? Maybe the heatsink contacts so that when you try to tighten it down it bends the cpu / mobo?

@Hellowpplz

I know "brand new" does not justify, but really does not seems like it, is there a way where I can test this?

2 minutes ago, PolloTech said:

@Crunchy Dragon

Are you tightening it down properly? It's similar to putting a wheel on a car; you have to tighten all the screws by hand until they don't turn anymore, then pick one and torque it down, then do the one in the corner opposite that one, in an X pattern.

Tightening the cooler down to spec shouldn't cause your PC to stop booting, is there anything bent or out of place, either in your CPU socket or otherwise?

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

8 minutes ago, PolloTech said:

@Hellowpplz

I know "brand new" does not justify, but really does not seems like it, is there a way where I can test this?

Also check any cpu / mobo pins and make sure they aren't bent. If putting virtually any pressure on it at all makes it stop a pin could be bent (or multiple)

7 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Are you tightening it down properly? It's similar to putting a wheel on a car; you have to tighten all the screws by hand until they don't turn anymore, then pick one and torque it down, then do the one in the corner opposite that one, in an X pattern.

Tightening the cooler down to spec shouldn't cause your PC to stop booting, is there anything bent or out of place, either in your CPU socket or otherwise?

@Crunchy Dragon

Yes I've did the x pattern

Now that you mentioned it, it looked like one pf the pins was flat, and tried to lift it but did not made a change

5 minutes ago, PolloTech said:

@Crunchy Dragon

Yes I've did the x pattern

Now that you mentioned it, it looked like one pf the pins was flat, and tried to lift it but did not made a change

"tried" also don't try if you don't know what your doing, you could just damage it even more. Even linus needs a microscope and super steady hand to do it without breaking it. I remember seeing it in a 5000$ intel extreme tech upgrade.

5 minutes ago, Hellowpplz said:

Also check any cpu / mobo pins and make sure they aren't bent. If putting virtually any pressure on it at all makes it stop a pin could be bent (or multiple)

@Hellowpplz one of them looked kinda flat

I've lift it but didn't made a change

3 minutes ago, PolloTech said:

@Hellowpplz one of them looked kinda flat

I've lift it but didn't made a change

Can you take a clearish picture with your phone or anything else? of the pins? Just zoom in on general area that you think is flat and make sure it's focused enough to see them each clearly. Then also get one of the whole cpu

"tried" also don't try if you don't know what your doing, you could just damage it even more. Even linus needs a microscope and super steady hand to do it without breaking it. I remember seeing it in a 5000$ intel extreme tech upgrade.

@Hellowpplz

I m a surgeon, but it returns to the previous state, kinda flat

2 minutes ago, Hellowpplz said:

Can you take a clearish picture with your phone or anything else? of the pins? Just zoom in on the one you think is flat and make sure it's focused enough to see them each clearly.

Of course, as soon as I get home, thank you guys

Just now, PolloTech said:

Of course, as soon as I get home, thank you guys

Ill give you 3-5 business days to reply

8 hours ago, PolloTech said:

@Hellowpplz

Done!

20240314_213531.jpg

PXL_20240315_033132822.jpg

@Crunchy Dragon@podkall@da na This aint my place to check it, gonna let someone more skilled do it. Just looking at these images it seems fine though.

34 minutes ago, Hellowpplz said:

@Crunchy Dragon@podkall@da na This aint my place to check it, gonna let someone more skilled do it. Just looking at these images it seems fine though.

The pin in the very bottom right corner stands out, it looks ever so slightly flatter than the rest. Doesn't look like it should be a problem though, based on what I can make out.

I would say it's up to OP if you want to try fixing it or not, or just return the board under warranty.

6 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

The pin in the very bottom right corner stands out, it looks ever so slightly flatter than the rest. Doesn't look like it should be a problem though, based on what I can make out.

I would say it's up to OP if you want to try fixing it or not, or just return the board under warranty.

yeah warranty's a good shot,

by the way I cannot see anything bent really, even if I look at the bottom right,

oh now I see it, it's so subtle it might not even be an issue, but you never know

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

1 hour ago, podkall said:

yeah warranty's a good shot,

by the way I cannot see anything bent really, even if I look at the bottom right,

oh now I see it, it's so subtle it might not even be an issue, but you never know

Yea I feel like that's why the heatsink being tightened virtually at all does it, maybe because it puts enough pressure to bend that pin past a certain point where it stops working, 

Yea I feel like that's why the heatsink being tightened virtually at all does it, maybe because it puts enough pressure to bend that pin past a certain point where it stops working, 

over-tightening overall is bad, but since it's on the edge it probably gets hit first

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

@Hellowpplz @podkall @Crunchy Dragon

Thanks for the time!, Yeah last night i was testing and i can screw in all the other 3 heatsink screws all the way except for the one that is in the same side at the sligthly bend one, I alerady call for warranty so I will have to wait (3 to 4 weeks aprox), in the meanwhile im usign the computer as is, temps are en 40~39 on idle so i figure it will be fine

Thanks again for the coments and help

1 hour ago, PolloTech said:

@Hellowpplz @podkall @Crunchy Dragon

Thanks for the time!, Yeah last night i was testing and i can screw in all the other 3 heatsink screws all the way except for the one that is in the same side at the sligthly bend one, I alerady call for warranty so I will have to wait (3 to 4 weeks aprox), in the meanwhile im usign the computer as is, temps are en 40~39 on idle so i figure it will be fine

Thanks again for the coments and help

Yea so that would mean it's that pin... but you prob figured that out on your own.