Is there any reason to go Win 11?

Lith7ium
Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,
3 minutes ago, Lith7ium said:

So are there any under the hood reasons why I should use Win 11 on my new machine? As far as I know, Win 10 still has the latest updates for drivers, DirectX, Vulkan and all the other things you need for gaming. Am I wrong? Is there something I'm missing?

There's three main differences between the two: the scheduler, HDR support, and the UI. If you have a heterogeneous CPU like 12/13/14th gen Intel, Windows 11 is just better as you run into less weird scheduling issues of software only running on the E cores. If you have an HDR display, Windows 11 has much better support for it with the calibration utility and things like Auto HDR. Other than that, it's just UI differences, and while you can make it look more like Windows 10 with tools like Explorer Patcher, if you don't need those other two I'd just stick to Windows 10. 

Hey guys,

After using my trusty i7-3770k for almost twelve years I finally caved and got myself a new system. The parts should arrive tomorrow.

The big question right now is: Which OS should I use? On my current rig I use Win 10, since 11 is not supported. I recently got to try out Win 11 on my laptop for work and must say that I'm not impressed at all. Everything seems to be design over function. There are a billion pop-ups everytime you open a program, which is annoying as hell. I've been using outlook for twenty years now, I don't need to be reminded that there is a search function, thanks Windows. I just hate the UI, it is confusing and is obviously only designed to look stylish, not be good at being used.

So are there any under the hood reasons why I should use Win 11 on my new machine? As far as I know, Win 10 still has the latest updates for drivers, DirectX, Vulkan and all the other things you need for gaming. Am I wrong? Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks for helping me out here.

win11 has better support for intels big cores and little cores cpu

Sudo make me a sandwich 

1 minute ago, wasab said:

Thanks for the answer, I should have given more context.

I'll be running a Ryzen 7800X3D, a 7900XTX, a B650 Mainboard and DDR5-6000 RAM.

Just now, Lith7ium said:

Thanks for the answer, I should have given more context.

I'll be running a Ryzen 7800X3D, a 7900XTX, a B650 Mainboard and DDR5-6000 RAM.

You won't see any performance improvements between win 10 or 11 for gaming with your setup.

I use an AM5 system and I am staying with Win 10 🙂

3 minutes ago, Lith7ium said:

There's three main differences between the two: the scheduler, HDR support, and the UI. If you have a heterogeneous CPU like 12/13/14th gen Intel, Windows 11 is just better as you run into less weird scheduling issues of software only running on the E cores. If you have an HDR display, Windows 11 has much better support for it with the calibration utility and things like Auto HDR. Other than that, it's just UI differences, and while you can make it look more like Windows 10 with tools like Explorer Patcher, if you don't need those other two I'd just stick to Windows 10. 

3 minutes ago, wasab said:

yeah I think it only benefits from like 13th gen and up Intel, and maybe AMD, but the only AMD chip that would benefit noticeably from Win 11 is probably the 7950x3D because of it's unique 3D cache layout

right @Hinjima?

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

1 minute ago, podkall said:

yeah I think it only benefits from like 13th gen and up Intel, and maybe AMD, but the only AMD chip that would benefit noticeably from Win 11 is probably the 7950x3D because of it's unique 3D cache layout

right @Hinjima?

7950x3D shouldn't care for win11 or not, though I haven't tried mine on win10. No one should be using the driver anyways and just using CPPC preferred core settings in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I believe it was intended for DirectStorage to be a Win11 specific feature.

Rounded corners OP

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

Just now, Agall said:

I believe it was intended for DirectStorage to be a Win11 specific feature.

Yeah, but Microsoft has come out and said that DirectStorage will be supported on Windows 10. Besides, there's only a handful of games that have any support for it, so it's not likely to make that much of a difference anyway. 

Okay, seems like I'm sticking with Win 10 until Win 13 comes out. Thanks to everyone!

Auto HDR is rad, also personally with startallback installed I find it even better than stock w10 across the board at this point

32 minutes ago, Agall said:

7950x3D shouldn't care for win11 or not, though I haven't tried mine on win10. No one should be using the driver anyways and just using CPPC preferred core settings in my opinion.

so Win11 isn't better with as it is assigning P vs E cores, with AMD assigning cores connected to 3D cache rather than those that aren't on the half3D cpu?

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

PCs I used before:

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

27 minutes ago, podkall said:

so Win11 isn't better with as it is assigning P vs E cores, with AMD assigning cores connected to 3D cache rather than those that aren't on the half3D cpu?

Its not done at the scheduler level unless you're using custom CPPC settings like I do. Otherwise, the default is 'auto' which is 'driver', the other options being 'cache' and 'frequency'. The 3D v-cache Optimizer driver that's apart of the chipset driver package then dictates which cores receive what tasks. In my experience, it flip flops it way too often and/or has a noticeable frame time issue, so I just don't use it. Its installed, but not functional unless that CPPC setting is in 'auto' or 'driver'.

P core vs E core has a hardware based scheduler but also windows optimizations with its scheduler. I imagine it works fine on Win10, but I'd personally prefer Win11 since its supposed to be better, though I wouldn't doubt if its the same at this point with Win11's poor adoption.

The hybrid architecture of R9 7000x3D isn't comparable to Intel's big-little. I wouldn't doubt if future R9 3D v-cache CPUs end up using P-3D CCD0 and E-core CCD1, since I don't honestly think the cache vs frequency differentiation is necessary. I'd rather have an E core design to CCD1 for practical reasons than how the 7950x3D is currently configured, but it gets the job done either way.

23 minutes ago, Agall said:

Its not done at the scheduler level unless you're using custom CPPC settings like I do. Otherwise, the default is 'auto' which is 'driver', the other options being 'cache' and 'frequency'. The 3D v-cache Optimizer driver that's apart of the chipset driver package then dictates which cores receive what tasks. In my experience, it flip flops it way too often and/or has a noticeable frame time issue, so I just don't use it. Its installed, but not functional unless that CPPC setting is in 'auto' or 'driver'.

P core vs E core has a hardware based scheduler but also windows optimizations with its scheduler. I imagine it works fine on Win10, but I'd personally prefer Win11 since its supposed to be better, though I wouldn't doubt if its the same at this point with Win11's poor adoption.

The hybrid architecture of R9 7000x3D isn't comparable to Intel's big-little. I wouldn't doubt if future R9 3D v-cache CPUs end up using P-3D CCD0 and E-core CCD1, since I don't honestly think the cache vs frequency differentiation is necessary. I'd rather have an E core design to CCD1 for practical reasons than how the 7950x3D is currently configured, but it gets the job done either way.

I thought AMD had similar like further optimization with scheduler or whatever, at least that's something that sounds like they should have considering how big difference it is when game uses the Cores with access to 3D cache vs Cores that don't use them, but I guess the only reason to go Win 11 now is either if you have 13th gen and later or if the Win10 support drops, which it might but I doubt it will be in short time, considering there's noticeable amount of people myself included that prefer Windows 10

PC:

PCs I used before:

17 hours ago, podkall said:

I thought AMD had similar like further optimization with scheduler or whatever, at least that's something that sounds like they should have considering how big difference it is when game uses the Cores with access to 3D cache vs Cores that don't use them, but I guess the only reason to go Win 11 now is either if you have 13th gen and later or if the Win10 support drops, which it might but I doubt it will be in short time, considering there's noticeable amount of people myself included that prefer Windows 10

I use both OS's, but my main systems have been win11 since release. There's some annoyances, mostly things that used to default to the Control Panel that force you to the Settings menu, but outside of that, I think its all so insignificant.

If you configure an R9 7950x3D properly, games almost never use CCD1. The driver need not be used since its configurable in the UEFI.

• 3 weeks later...

cpu performance-windoze 10

gpu performance-windoze 11

Windows 11 supports wifi 7/6e windows 10 does not, also theirs co-pilot ai chat pretty useful for jokes and coding. say if you want to make a performance .bat file

windows 10 has a better interface but all in all the differences are minor and each have strengths and weaknesses. my vote for windows 11 with startisback 11-- windows 7 shell

Why not create a bootable Windows 2 Go USB and test drive it yourself?

Nothing beats having a firsthand impression, preferences are subjective.

Personally, I prefer a stripped down Windows 11 with custom start menu.

Runs fairly well on an old Intel Atom tablet w/ 4GB of ram.