Does Textures only affact VRAM or it affects RAM as well

Blazepoint5
Go to solution Solved by SImoHayha,
17 minutes ago, Blazepoint5 said:

Depending on the settings your using i know it affects VRAM usage either low, medium, high or ultra if available. So any of these settings always affects vram usage but does it affects ram as well? Since game files and other thing must go to the random access memory before anything could happen.

If it does how big is it, is it as effective as how it does with vram or just a little bit.

if you run outta VRAM, then some RAM is used.  You can see this in some lower end machines, that RAM is taken up if VRAM is low.

Depending on the settings your using i know it affects VRAM usage either low, medium, high or ultra if available. So any of these settings always affects vram usage but does it affects ram as well? Since game files and other thing must go to the random access memory before anything could happen.

If it does how big is it, is it as effective as how it does with vram or just a little bit.

17 minutes ago, Blazepoint5 said:

if you run outta VRAM, then some RAM is used.  You can see this in some lower end machines, that RAM is taken up if VRAM is low.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

6 minutes ago, SImoHayha said:

Ahh i remember now, and if ram is out then storage is used right.

5 minutes ago, Blazepoint5 said:

Yes, that's what swap is for.

But if you run out of VRAM and stuff spills over into RAM, the latency penalty of that will already make the game unplayable. Once your computer starts to swap, it'll effectively grind to a halt and become all but unusable.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

it depends,  for example in MHW you can double your VRAM usage by going from medium to high volumetric lighting,  which technically isnt even a texture setting. 

Ergo this cannot be answered in a general way. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 3/14/2024 at 6:00 AM, Blazepoint5 said:

this is also why most games "reserve" 16GB RAM on start, mind you "reserve" basically so its ready in case its needed.

that's also why having other applications run while playing a game can have a massive performance impact. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity