Motherboard compatibility

Hey there!

Before I start, I literally just created this account on the forum, so if I got the place wrong, please tell me where I should put it.

Anyway, I am pretty sure this is a stupid question, but, does anyone know what type is the motherboard in HP EliteDesk 705 G3 SFF?

I think it's a Mini-ATX, but I am not 100% sure. I currently have an AMD PRO A10-8770 installed on it. I want to upgrade the motherboard so I can install newer parts on it.

Also, what about the PSU? I'm thinking about adding more power to make sure it runs smoothly.

Thank you!

Moved to laptops and pre-builts. Welcome to the LTT forums. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

5 minutes ago, VoidableMethod said:

I think it's a Mini-ATX, but I am not 100% sure.

Yeah, in my quick googling it does seem to be a Micro ATX motherboard. 

5 minutes ago, VoidableMethod said:

Also, what about the PSU?

This will need to be upgraded. HP (at least during the era where this system was built, they've gotten better recently) is known for using proprietary power supply formats, so the PSU in this case won't connect to anything but an HP motherboard. The problem is getting an upgraded PSU that will fit in that system is likely to be next to impossible, since that is also likely an obscure format. It's likely to be closest to Flex ATX in size, though personally I'd just go on FB Marketplace or similar and try to get a cheap full size ATX case to do the system rather than trying to preserve using this small form factor case from HP, you can get them for very cheap if you look around a bit (I've given away a lot of cases since I just want them out of my basement). 

13 minutes ago, VoidableMethod said:

what type is the motherboard in HP EliteDesk 705 G3 SFF?

I think it's a Mini-ATX, but I am not 100% sure

Micro-ATX with a proprietary 6-pin power connector instead of the standard 24 pin on most boards. 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Matx full of proprietary bs.

Also keep in mind that case is small and the psu, front panel, usb front panel, cooler mounting,... are all NON STANDARD.

So you are far better off buying a different pc instead of upgrading this one as you'll end up with a disfunctional mess that doesnt fit in the case and a bunch of worthless hardware. Whereas you can sell this pc as a complete, get some funds back and move to a better system.

37 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Micro-ATX with a proprietary 6-pin power connector instead of the standard 24 pin on most boards. 

29 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Matx full of proprietary bs.

Also keep in mind that case is small and the psu, front panel, usb front panel, cooler mounting,... are all NON STANDARD.

So you are far better off buying a different pc instead of upgrading this one as you'll end up with a disfunctional mess that doesnt fit in the case and a bunch of worthless hardware. Whereas you can sell this pc as a complete, get some funds back and move to a better system.

41 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Yeah, in my quick googling it does seem to be a Micro ATX motherboard. 

This will need to be upgraded. HP (at least during the era where this system was built, they've gotten better recently) is known for using proprietary power supply formats, so the PSU in this case won't connect to anything but an HP motherboard. The problem is getting an upgraded PSU that will fit in that system is likely to be next to impossible, since that is also likely an obscure format. It's likely to be closest to Flex ATX in size, though personally I'd just go on FB Marketplace or similar and try to get a cheap full size ATX case to do the system rather than trying to preserve using this small form factor case from HP, you can get them for very cheap if you look around a bit (I've given away a lot of cases since I just want them out of my basement). 

Thank you all, I don't really need the front panel stuff, I am using that PC as my home server. That's why I'm looking to upgrade it. So, I have to find a new motherboard, PSU, and most likely case... sounds like, pretty much, a brand new PC. 🙂

26 minutes ago, VoidableMethod said:

Thank you all, I don't really need the front panel stuff, I am using that PC as my home server. That's why I'm looking to upgrade it. So, I have to find a new motherboard, PSU, and most likely case... sounds like, pretty much, a brand new PC. 🙂

Pretty much hence why I recommend you just replace this and sell the hp as a complete to get some money back.

Not hard to get something better that a10 has the power of an i3 2120 from 2011

4 hours ago, VoidableMethod said:

sounds like, pretty much, a brand new PC.

I personally recommend it. And, it's not terribly hard to get something with a nice compact size if that is still an important feature. Mini-ITX form factor cases are not too hard to come by and some are very beginner-friendly, like the Silverstone Sugo SG13

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad