What power supply would I need?

zabs420

I currently have a pc I got scammed for but I'm going to slowly upgrade it but currently it has 16gb DDR3 ram, i7-3960x CPU, I'm getting an rtx 3060 and the case has usb 3.0 and 2.0 and it has LED's I currently have a 850 watt would that be enough for that?

But I'm going to be getting a new motherboard CPU and ram probably be a Ryzen 5 7600x and ddr5 ram would I need a higher PSU for all that?

Yes, an 850w would be great for that build, with the new components too. Also gives an upgrade path for later.

22 minutes ago, zabs420 said:

I currently have a 850 watt would that be enough for that?

which brand and model? it could be a great or horrible unit

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

Make and model of the psu?

If you got scammed on this pc(in what way) I'd be carefull and provide us with this info asap.

8 minutes ago, filpo said:

^^^

also watch out for particularly old units (12yo+) even if theyre decent, i mean you can just run em into the ground but its still reccomended to replace if its that old especially when used psus exist

33 minutes ago, zabs420 said:

I'm getting an rtx 3060

and dont buy this new cause new last gen is a really dumb buy most of the time

get a used 6700xt or 3070, or at the very least buy the 3060 used if you really need that 12gb of vram and an nvidia card

On 3/13/2024 at 10:40 AM, jaslion said:

Make and model of the psu?

If you got scammed on this pc(in what way) I'd be carefull and provide us with this info asap.

It's an ocz zx 850 and it's my own fault should have looked at specs better but I just saw an i7 and a decent GPU with 16gb ram but the i7 was a different model for the LGA2011 socket not like the 4400k and that and the GPU had a problem but I've gotten it sorted now I believe so I'm just going to use it to upgrade it as I can but just saw it on Facebook and yeah didn't look at the specs properly 

On 3/13/2024 at 10:50 AM, Somerandomtechyboi said:

^^^

also watch out for particularly old units (12yo+) even if theyre decent, i mean you can just run em into the ground but its still reccomended to replace if its that old especially when used psus exist

and dont buy this new cause new last gen is a really dumb buy most of the time

get a used 6700xt or 3070, or at the very least buy the 3060 used if you really need that 12gb of vram and an nvidia card

Okay I'll have a look see what prices I can get either of those cards for cheers for the advice 

On 3/13/2024 at 10:38 AM, filpo said:

It's an OCZ ZX 850

On 3/13/2024 at 10:38 AM, filpo said:

It's an OCZ ZX 850

43 minutes ago, zabs420 said:

It's an OCZ ZX 850

reviews i found are dated 2011 so about as old as my dazumba 450w (13yo)

yeah id reccomend replacing it considering used psus arent even that expensive and im pretty sure some idiot would still buy that ancient unit for cheap =p

50$ should get you 750/850w rm(x) or equivalent psus used though depends on your local used market cause it could be good or bad, here in indo i can buy andyson px 1200w psus for 56$ used so looks like i got a good used psu market

38 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

reviews i found are dated 2011 so about as old as my dazumba 450w (13yo)

yeah id reccomend replacing it considering used psus arent even that expensive and im pretty sure some idiot would still buy that ancient unit for cheap =p

50$ should get you 750/850w rm(x) or equivalent psus used though depends on your local used market cause it could be good or bad, here in indo i can buy andyson px 1200w psus for 56$ used so looks like i got a good used psu market

Yeah same as the whole pc very old parts should have looked it up better before buying but too late now so gotta just get on with it eh and get newer parts and oh right sound I'll have a look then main problem is I live on an island near UK so don't really have a used pc parts place only new ones so gotta look online for stuff so hopefully I can find for around the same price 

11 minutes ago, zabs420 said:

Yeah same as the whole pc very old parts should have looked it up better before buying but too late now so gotta just get on with it eh and get newer parts and oh right sound I'll have a look then main problem is I live on an island near UK so don't really have a used pc parts place only new ones so gotta look online for stuff so hopefully I can find for around the same price 

is it Isle of Man or Isle of Wight? Shipping should be the same for newer parts and you should be able to get this 

Deepcool PK750D 750 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (R-PK750D-FA0B-US) - PCPartPicker

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

1 hour ago, zabs420 said:

It's an ocz zx 850 and it's my own fault should have looked at specs better but I just saw an i7 and a decent GPU with 16gb ram but the i7 was a different model for the LGA2011 socket not like the 4400k and that and the GPU had a problem but I've gotten it sorted now I believe so I'm just going to use it to upgrade it as I can but just saw it on Facebook and yeah didn't look at the specs properly 

Yeah that is really old would defo replace that.

Check for a rx5700xt used they are around 100pounds and a great card. That way you can save up to replace the other parts quicker.

6 minutes ago, filpo said:

is it Isle of Man or Isle of Wight? Shipping should be the same for newer parts and you should be able to get this 

Deepcool PK750D 750 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (R-PK750D-FA0B-US) - PCPartPicker

Nah it's Guernsey but shipping is still usually about the same as UK so I'll have a look cheers

6 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Yeah that is really old would defo replace that.

Check for a rx5700xt used they are around 100pounds and a great card. That way you can save up to replace the other parts quicker.

Yeah that's what I thought and oh right sound cheers I'll have a look around for one see if I can find one for a decent price 

17 minutes ago, zabs420 said:

Nah it's Guernsey but shipping is still usually about the same as UK so I'll have a look cheers

It's an ok psu but I'd opt for something else better tho