Chimney style case

wunagy

Hi everybody! It was suggested I use this sub forum for further help.

I'm designing a new home office room and building a PC. The space has very limited space.

I've been thinking of using a Corsair 7000D with the front of the case pointing at the blue desk. That would mean that the exhaust would be blowing at the PC/3D printer which is a no-no. I'm looking for a PC case, preferably chimney style that pulls air from the bottom and exhausts it at the top that would fit on the red cabinet. I've looked at the SS Alta F2 which is great but is stupid expensive - over 1k euro. Thermaltake tower 500/900 are great but are too big to fit on the cabinet. My budget for the case is about 500 euro. I'll have an i9-14900k with an AIO and an RTX 4080 super in it so the airflow would have to be good. Is there anything at all that would work with the space I have?

My other solution is to use a regular case like the 7000D but figure out a way to use only the top and side fans for exhaust as that would not blow air at other electronics or me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

JonsPlus i400 (ATX) or JonsPlus i100 (ITX)

JonsPlus BO102

other options:

NZXT H1

Phanteks evolve shift (air)

People never go out of business.

1 minute ago, FlyingPotato_is_taken said:

NZXT H1

you mean the V2 right? 

14 minutes ago, wunagy said:

I'll have an i9-14900k with an AIO and an RTX 4080 super in it so the airflow would have to be good. Is there anything at all that would work with the space I have?

if you use three fans as intake from the front of the case and then use the AIO mounted at the top of the case and then use an intake at the back of the case so no air is going out of the back. Use something like the 903 MAX (which has amazing thermals for the price and can fit a 360 rad up top) or a lian li lancool III RGB (bigger than the 903 max but smaller than the 7000d by quite a bit and can fit a 420 rad in the front and top iirc

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

7 minutes ago, filpo said:

you mean the V2 right? 

if you use three fans as intake from the front of the case and then use the AIO mounted at the top of the case and then use an intake at the back of the case so no air is going out of the back. Use something like the 903 MAX (which has amazing thermals for the price and can fit a 360 rad up top) or a lian li lancool III RGB (bigger than the 903 max but smaller than the 7000d by quite a bit and can fit a 420 rad in the front and top iirc

Something similar was my initial thought but nobody has been able to confirm if it makes any sense and I'm not proficient enough to make a final decision.

Arctic Liquid Freezer III 420 on top in a push pull configuration with the NF-A14 (industrial, if need be) and have all other fan slots - 1 rear, 4 side and 4 front be on intake (120mm, 9 in total)? If that's too much intake I can put some of the ones on the side as exhaust although I'm not sure if they'd clash with the ones on the front that would be intake (as they're right next to each other)

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fm.media-amazon.com%2Fimages%2FI%2F71yQXcpAqPL.jpg

3 minutes ago, wunagy said:

industrial, if need be

you can get the quieter NFA if you want. Industrial shouldn't be needed 

3 minutes ago, wunagy said:

1 rear, 4 side and 4 front be on intake (120mm, 9 in total)?

side ones aren't really needed, you'll get enough from the front, unless you want it for looks, in which case that's a different story

4 minutes ago, wunagy said:

I'm not sure if they'd clash with the ones on the front that would be intake (as they're right next to each other)

ye if you make them exhaust they'd just do what you said here

Current parts list

3 minutes ago, filpo said:

you can get the quieter NFA if you want. Industrial shouldn't be needed 

side ones aren't really needed, you'll get enough from the front, unless you want it for looks, in which case that's a different story

ye if you make them exhaust they'd just do what you said here

So you think this would be enough?

- 1x140mm intake rear

- 4x120mm intake front

and only exhaust be the 420mm AIO on the top? No need for push/pull or industrial fans? Wouldn't the rad limit the amount of air that can be exhausted?

1 minute ago, wunagy said:

and only exhaust be the 420mm AIO on the top?

yes, P12's are quiet fans but the NFA's are better for CFM and Noise. 

8 minutes ago, wunagy said:

So you think this would be enough?

- 1x140mm intake rear

- 4x120mm intake front

yes, then use the 420mil rad as exhaust up top. Have you considered the Lian li lancool III rgb? it's quite a good case for airflow and it seems to support a 420 rad up top, however there is a max thickness so make sure your arctic AIO plus 25mm isn't more than 75mm as it might intrude with the motherboard and RAM

image.thumb.png.6a0fc4673848f039670478fecb4cff63.png

Current parts list

I'm not sure if it's still made, but if you can find it the Coolermaster SL600M is exactly what you're looking for. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

11 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

I'm not sure if it's still made, but if you can find it the Coolermaster SL600M is exactly hat you're looking for. 

That IS exactly what I'm looking for, thank you!

I can find it in silver. The whole room is black but I guess I can make it work.

Problem is I don't know if the 2x140mm on the bottom & 280/360 rad on top would be enough to cool the i9-14900k & rtx 4080 super.

SS has other chimney case or so I'm told. You could also look at the InWin ModFree, which is a bit more than half your budget, is modular and can be oriented how you want it. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

On 3/14/2024 at 3:34 AM, wunagy said:

Problem is I don't know if the 2x140mm on the bottom & 280/360 rad on top would be enough to cool the i9-14900k & rtx 4080 super.

The GPU cooling on this case is great. The CPU cooler, not as much, however the main testing was done with a CPU tower instead of an AIO. 

The 4080 would almost certainly be fine (my 4080 in the Fractal torrent does fantastic) 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

On 3/12/2024 at 2:31 PM, wunagy said:

Hi everybody! This topic is continuation of this this one. It was suggested I use this sub forum for further help.

I'm designing a new home office room and building a PC. The space I can use is pretty limited:

image.png.01bf5f2505e1497505bdeae399584e45.png

Green - sort of a workbench/table, about 38in  height
Red - a cabinet, 31.5in length, 13.8in depth, 29.5in height
Blue - desk, 29in height
Brown - chair

The PC would be sitting on the red rectangle. The green workbench would have another PC and a 3D printer. The blue would be my desk.

I've been thinking of using a Corsair 7000D with the front of the case pointing at the blue desk. That would mean that the exhaust would be blowing at the PC/3D printer which is a no-no. I'm looking for a PC case, preferably chimney style that pulls air from the bottom and exhausts it at the top that would fit on the red cabinet. I've looked at the SS Alta F2 which is great but is stupid expensive - over 1k euro. Thermaltake tower 500/900 are great but are too big to fit on the cabinet. My budget for the case is about 500 euro. I'll have an i9-14900k with an AIO and an RTX 4080 super in it so the airflow would have to be good. Is there anything at all that would work with the space I have?

My other solution is to use a regular case like the 7000D but figure out a way to use only the top and side fans for exhaust as that would not blow air at other electronics or me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

NR200P Max with its included 280mm AIO and 850W PSU would work nicely. It might be out of your budget, but that's only because it comes with the aio and PSU.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017