Arctic Liquid Freezer III 420 with push-pull configuration as only exhaust

wunagy

Hi everybody! I'll start building my new PC next month and I'm still figuring things out. Please understand that I'm still a newbie when it comes to building modern PCs and consider this thread more of a thought experiment.

The PC case would be positioned in a place where, ideally, the exhaust will only blow upwards as I'll have my 3D printer along with an another machine behind it and my desk in front of it. I've decided on a Corsair 7000D Airflow full tower case. 

Amazon.com: CORSAIR 7000D AIRFLOW Full-Tower ATX PC Case, Black :  Electronics

If I wanted the case to exhaust upwards only, have positive air pressure and not bottleneck my system would it make any sense to position the Arctic Liquid Freezer III 420 on top in a push pull configuration with the NF-A14 (industrial, if need be) and have all other fan slots - 1 rear, 4 side and 4 front be on intake (120mm, 9 in total)?

The brand of fans is irrelevant, I'll try to get what's best for this scenario, if at all possible. I don't have access to many of the brands where I'm located but I guess I can order internationally. My main question is if that setup - 9, 120mm intake fans with 1, 420mm AIO in a push pull config (6 fans total) makes any sense.

Maybe I can figure out other ways to redirect the airflow so it doesn't blow either behind or infront of me but the space I'm working with is very limited and I'd very much prefer it if I could pull off something like this.

CPU: i9-14900k

GPU: RTX 4080 Super

38 minutes ago, wunagy said:

Hi everybody! I'll start building my new PC next month and I'm still figuring things out. Please understand that I'm still a newbie when it comes to building modern PCs and consider this thread more of a thought experiment.

The PC case would be positioned in a place where, ideally, the exhaust will only blow upwards as I'll have my 3D printer along with an another machine behind it and my desk in front of it. I've decided on a Corsair 7000D Airflow full tower case. 

Amazon.com: CORSAIR 7000D AIRFLOW Full-Tower ATX PC Case, Black :  Electronics

If I wanted the case to exhaust upwards only, have positive air pressure and not bottleneck my system would it make any sense to position the Arctic Liquid Freezer III 420 on top in a push pull configuration with the NF-A14 (industrial, if need be) and have all other fan slots - 1 rear, 4 side and 4 front be on intake (120mm, 9 in total)?

The brand of fans is irrelevant, I'll try to get what's best for this scenario, if at all possible. I don't have access to many of the brands where I'm located but I guess I can order internationally. My main question is if that setup - 9, 120mm intake fans with 1, 420mm AIO in a push pull config (6 fans total) makes any sense.

Maybe I can figure out other ways to redirect the airflow so it doesn't blow either behind or infront of me but the space I'm working with is very limited and I'd very much prefer it if I could pull off something like this.

CPU: i9-14900k

GPU: RTX 2080 Super

Aren't there any chimney airflow cases that fit your space where you live? SilverStone has some. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

19 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

Aren't there any chimney airflow cases that fit your space where you live? SilverStone has some. 

Interesting - I've never heard of chimney airflow cases.

Sadly, I can't find any where I'm located.

2 minutes ago, wunagy said:

Interesting - I've never heard of chimney airflow cases.

Sadly, I can't find any where I'm located.

They pull in air from the bottom and air goes out the top. Some are even oriented so that the mobo is turned 90, like the very expensive SS Alta F2.

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

23 hours ago, RevGAM said:

They pull in air from the bottom and air goes out the top. Some are even oriented so that the mobo is turned 90, like the very expensive SS Alta F2.

This one I can find, actually. Though, It costs twice as much as the current case I've chosen along with the AIO and like 9 additional fans.

Any input on my supposed solution? Or am I way off on what I want to do with that?

23 minutes ago, wunagy said:

This one I can find, actually. Though, It costs twice as much as the current case I've chosen along with the AIO and like 9 additional fans.

Any input on my supposed solution? Or am I way off on what I want to do with that?

I did say it's very expensive. It's just an example. If you look at SS's website, you'll see that they have others like that without the insane price. I'm sure other companies have them, too.

It would help to see the space you are confined to and where the PC will sit and how much space it'll use. Still, if you're not going to be there for long... how much space would be behind the case?

On 3/11/2024 at 2:25 PM, RevGAM said:

I did say it's very expensive. It's just an example. If you look at SS's website, you'll see that they have others like that without the insane price. I'm sure other companies have them, too.

It would help to see the space you are confined to and where the PC will sit and how much space it'll use. Still, if you're not going to be there for long... how much space would be behind the case?

I'll be using the green rectangle for a 3D printer and another computer that'll be running some stuff 24/7. The blue rectangle would be my desk. I'll be sitting right next to the PC, which will be pointed at my desk, so the rear would be facing the workbench. Technically there's space behind the PC but it wouldn't be great if it blew hot air at another machine and/or a 3d printer.

EDIT: correct height of the desk/cabinet

1 minute ago, wunagy said:

image.png.01bf5f2505e1497505bdeae399584e45.png
Green - sort of a workbench/table, about 35 inches in height
Red - a cabinet, about 30 inches in length, 23 in height
Blue - desk, 29 inches in height
Brown - chair

I'll be using the green rectangle for a 3D printer and another computer that'll be running some stuff 24/7. The blue rectangle would be my desk. I'll be sitting right next to the PC, which will be pointed at my desk, so the rear would be facing the workbench. Technically there's space behind the PC but it wouldn't be great if it blew hot air at another machine and/or a 3d printer.

Sorry, we are talking about the PC next to the printer on the workbench, right?

Just now, RevGAM said:

Sorry, we are talking about the PC next to the printer on the workbench, right?

No, the PC that's supposed to be on the red rectangle. Between the workbench and the desk.

Ah, ok. An alternative is to build it like normal and devise a duct to shunt the hot air upwards and away.

Have you looked at other chimney cases?

16 hours ago, RevGAM said:

Ah, ok. An alternative is to build it like normal and devise a duct to shunt the hot air upwards and away.

Have you looked at other chimney cases?

There's really not many options. I found Thermaltake Tower in stock but being a "chimney" case it's really wide so it wouldn't fit on my cabinet. Even the smaller one, Tower 500 is over 15 inches in width and I've got a little less than 14 to work with.

12 minutes ago, wunagy said:

There's really not many options. I found Thermaltake Tower in stock but being a "chimney" case it's really wide so it wouldn't fit on my cabinet. Even the smaller one, Tower 500 is over 15 inches in width and I've got a little less than 14 to work with.

I suggest asking for options in the cases sub-forum.

15 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

I suggest asking for options in the cases sub-forum.

Thanks, I'll try that.

Is there nothing that can be done with that particular case? Having the AIO rad on the side as exhaust, the top as exhaust and front and back as intakes?

52 minutes ago, wunagy said:

Thanks, I'll try that.

Is there nothing that can be done with that particular case? Having the AIO rad on the side as exhaust, the top as exhaust and front and back as intakes?

radiators as exhaust is  higher temps for no good reason 

56 minutes ago, wunagy said:

Thanks, I'll try that.

The general expectation is that, because you are using case air that has been heated, you are recycling the heat if you have the fans on the rad exhausting air. The difference may not be that great in a cold room but it'll get worse as the temperature increases. 

7 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

The general expectation is that, because you are using case air that has been heated, you are recycling the heat if you have the fans on the rad exhausting air. The difference may not be that great in a cold room but it'll get worse as the temperature increases. 

I see.. is there any setup with that particular case where I can use the front and back as intake and top and side as exhaust?

image.thumb.jpeg.41022857ccbe859e8f463a43bb8c47ef.jpeg

If the rad is on the front pulling air, the back has a 140mm also pulling air and top and side are exhausting would that work?

1 minute ago, wunagy said:

I see.. is there any setup with that particular case where I can use the front and back as intake and top and side as exhaust?

image.thumb.jpeg.41022857ccbe859e8f463a43bb8c47ef.jpeg

If the rad is on the front pulling air, the back has a 140mm also pulling air and top and side are exhausting would that work?

Well, I'm not done with my AIO positional testing, but what I'm seeing seems to suggest that mounting the AIO on the side MIGHT net you a slightly lower temp than the front, but not a big difference but, yeah, that should work as long as the net result isn't causing dead spots or recirculation. 

1 hour ago, wunagy said:

1 hour ago, RevGAM said:

Well, I'm not done with my AIO positional testing, but what I'm seeing seems to suggest that mounting the AIO on the side MIGHT net you a slightly lower temp than the front, but not a big difference but, yeah, that should work as long as the net result isn't causing dead spots or recirculation. 

Side intake btw

With an AIO your always compromising something, either intake, providing GPU with warmer air, or exhaust, providing cpu with warmer air

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

1 hour ago, TatamiMatt said:

Side intake btw, netted the best temps, albeit only by 1 or 2C

numbers from ur testing? 🙂

1 hour ago, TatamiMatt said:

With an AIO your always compromising something, 

thats the case with any cooler? 

6 minutes ago, NorKris said:

thats the case with any cooler? 

I mean moreso the 2 options, intake or exhaust, whichever of the 2 options you choose, you compromise something more than the other

6 minutes ago, NorKris said:

numbers from ur testing? 🙂

@RevGAM's testing (id rather ask first than go ahead with it as its your testing, am i able to post graphed results?)

System specs:

6 minutes ago, TatamiMatt said:

I mean moreso the 2 options, intake or exhaust, whichever of the 2 options you choose, you compromise something more than the other

@RevGAM's testing (id rather ask first than go ahead with it as its your testing, am i able to post graphed results?)

@NorKrisI'm not yet done, and I have to fix that problem I mentioned yesterday before I can finish and release the first set of results in my YT channel. These tests have my GC in a slanted vertical mount sitting on my PSU shroud so I can mount the AIO with tubes down, too. I should've had this done months ago, but between anxiety, mistakes, improvements, life, and more anxiety, and now the problem, I'm not done. 

The second phase will be with the GC in the mobo slot. I'll have to move everything to a smaller case if I want to have any chance at all of having the tubes down without the GC in the way, but I don't know yet if the other cases I have will allow for that. The 2 SFF definitely not, but maybe one of my 2 ATX cases. Otherwise, I have to forego tubes down or buy another case that will allow for it. Sorry, you'll have to wait.

Thankfully, Matt is helping me by doing the graphs. 

@TatamiMattI don't mind if you give vague answers like above, but please keep them vague for now.  Thanks! 😀

Just now, RevGAM said:

@TatamiMattI don't mind if you give vague answers like above, but please keep them vague for now.  Thanks! 😀

Apologies! Lips sealed from now on and edited to be even more vague 🤐

System specs:

Just now, TatamiMatt said:

Apologies! Lips sealed from now on and edited to be even more vague 🤐

Why are you apologizing? You're fine. 😀

3 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

@NorKrisI'm not yet done, and I have to fix that problem I mentioned yesterday before I can finish and release the first set of results in my YT channel.

ofc ur not! thats the best part 😛 

55 minutes ago, NorKris said:

ofc ur not! thats the best part 😛 

Not being done is stressful for me.  😞