What laptop should I buy

I have looked around  what laptop to buy, but there are too many options. So i was wondering if you could help me.

My use cases are:

• running some docker containers (ex databases, and web applications locally),
  • compiling rust and c++,
  • modeling in FreeCad,
  • content consumption,
  • writing code.

My preferences:

• linux would be appreciated,
  • the price shouldn't be more then 1200usd, don't mind it if its used, 
  • Max 16inche screen(but 14 is preferred)
  • Good enough so i can last about 5 years
  • a fairly good keyboard

I'm willing to go up in price if there is a good reason.

Thanks in advance🐢

14 minutes ago, Koeg said:
  • running some docker containers (ex databases, and web applications locally),
  • compiling rust and c++,
  • modeling in FreeCad,
  • content consumption,
  • writing code.

From what I can tell, you mostly need CPU power, while an iGPU could even be fine for you.

If Linux support is important for you, you could check out system76. Otherwise you can never really go wrong with Lenovo Thinkpads. You usually can also find a lot of them used. Just make sure to at least get 32 GB of RAM or look for models with upgradeable RAM. And I wouldn't go lower than 12th gen Intel or 3rd gen Zen.

20 minutes ago, Koeg said:

Good enough so i can last about 5 years

This highly depends on how your use-case changes and if you are willing to maintain your laptop.

22 minutes ago, Koeg said:

content consumption,

Do you actually want anything specific here? If you always use headphones anyway, I'd just make sure to get a somewhat decent screen. Better speakers can be hit or miss.

In your position I'd first figure out if you want a low power ~25W or high power ~45+W CPU and then go from there. If a low powered chip would be enough for you, the HP dragonfly series is pretty sweet. But you probably want a higher powered chip. That will likely mean a bulkier design and more fan noise.

For a good laptop reviews, I'd check out Notebookcheck.net

18 minutes ago, adm0n said:

From what I can tell, you mostly need CPU power, while an iGPU could even be fine for you.

If Linux support is important for you, you could check out system76. Otherwise you can never really go wrong with Lenovo Thinkpads. You usually can also find a lot of them used. Just make sure to at least get 32 GB of RAM or look for models with upgradeable RAM. And I wouldn't go lower than 12th gen Intel or 3rd gen Zen.

This highly depends on how your use-case changes and if you are willing to maintain your laptop.

Do you actually want anything specific here? If you always use headphones anyway, I'd just make sure to get a somewhat decent screen. Better speakers can be hit or miss.

In your position I'd first figure out if you want a low power ~25W or high power ~45+W CPU and then go from there. If a low powered chip would be enough for you, the HP dragonfly series is pretty sweet. But you probably want a higher powered chip. That will likely mean a bulkier design and more fan noise.

For a good laptop reviews, I'd check out Notebookcheck.net

Yeah, content consumption is like web page browsing and YouTube videos watching, the speakers don't matter that much.

Gonna check out system76, probably a high-power cpu. I was looking at the ThinkPad t14 gen 3. Thanks for the help

19 minutes ago, Koeg said:

Yeah, content consumption is like web page browsing and YouTube videos watching, the speakers don't matter that much.

Gonna check out system76, probably a high-power cpu. I was looking at the ThinkPad t14 gen 3. Thanks for the help

Just to let you know, most (if not all?) 14 inch thinkpads use U (so low power) CPUs. I'd check if that is actually enough performance for you in the long run.

2 hours ago, adm0n said:

Just to let you know, most (if not all?) 14 inch thinkpads use U (so low power) CPUs. I'd check if that is actually enough performance for you in the long run.

The high power ones are to expensive, and i have a desktop, so if i have any compute intensive task i can use that. So i will stay with the t14

5 minutes ago, Koeg said:

The high power ones are to expensive, and i have a desktop, so if i have any compute intensive task i can use that. So i will stay with the t14

That's a good choice then! Enjoy your laptop.

If you get one without an OLED and every want to see what the fuzz is all about, there are very cheap portable monitors. I got this one -> https://innocn.com/products/innocn-15-6-portable-monitor-refurbished-15a1f

It does accept an HDR signal (only via HDMI), but it not that impressive in that regard. But it's awesome for SDR content and you can power and provide a display signal all via one usb-c cable from your laptop.

35 minutes ago, adm0n said:

That's a good choice then! Enjoy your laptop.

If you get one without an OLED and every want to see what the fuzz is all about, there are very cheap portable monitors. I got this one -> https://innocn.com/products/innocn-15-6-portable-monitor-refurbished-15a1f

It does accept an HDR signal (only via HDMI), but it not that impressive in that regard. But it's awesome for SDR content and you can power and provide a display signal all via one usb-c cable from your laptop.

Thanks for the help