Cheap 3-5tb ssd needed

Go to solution Solved by metadaddy,
On 3/12/2024 at 2:27 AM, Indian pc builder said:

so just don't do ssds ?

so instead of 1 ssd and a backblaze backup, i do 2 hard drives and a backblaze backup?

[Full disclosure - I'm Pat Patterson, Chief Technical Evangelist at Backblaze].

A good starting point when thinking about backups is the 3-2-1 rule - three copies of the data on two different media with one copy stored off-site, so 2 HDDs and Backblaze would be better than 1 SSD and Backblaze.

A local backup makes it fast and easy to retrieve your data in the event of a drive failure, accidental deletion etc. The remote backup allows you to recover from a catastrophe such as your building burning down. It's going to be slower to retrieve the data, but that's the tradeoff for storing it in a different location.

BTW - If you're using Backblaze B2, rather than Backblaze Computer Backup, you can even get fancy and protect the data stored at Backblaze against accidental or malicious deletion with object lock.

Metadaddy has it.

On my office desktop I have C: and D: for OS programs and data. I have another SSD for backup of those, and then a HHD to back all up (this used to be a much bigger deal up until about 2 years ago and I stopped having to have much of my work on my drives). I used to have weekly backups before Covid, went to daily when I went WFH, but once I no longer needed to host the data on my PC, I am monthly. 

I have cloud storage for my offsite, now that I no longer go to an office.

As Metadaddy said, the cloud would be by far the slowest, but also the safest from an accident such as fire or earthquake, and my local backups on my pc are really fast for immediate need.

Does 1 ssd, one hard drive and a cloud backup count? The hdd will be my

local

backup in case my ssd fails, though more likely that the ssd will be the backup for when the hdd fails and backblaze backblaze 

@metadaddy what’s the cheapest way I can get a backblaze backup going? Im Willing to pay the subscription, but is there a way to get a cheaper one for only like 5tb or smth?

btw chief technical evangelist? lol. Ur like a linus angel ?

Imagine everything i have written in a Linus Voice/ linus tone (Spock live long and prosper gif here ,idk why tho, i guess i just want to say that i like star trek and am waiting for new seasons of the ongoing shows), But seriously, a lot of what i type only makes sense when said in a Linus tone from an older ltt video (circa 2017-2019 & now 2024-onwards) basically before he got a beard and a lot of it should make sense even in a Linus with a beard face.

also note as per the latest typing test on my laptop, my accuracy is 69%

I'm not weird/creepy, I'm just observant I have ADHD and am not on any meds for it.