PC shutting off under intense load

8 minutes ago, Pud of Mud said:

So I shouldn't be worried if it tops out on ~101 hotspot while doing something incredibly intense? Even though the GPU average temp is ~70?

What are your fans running at on the graphics card? The log is showing fan speeds of over 100%. Do you have another program that can be used to confirm the graphics card's fan speeds, such as MSI Afterburner?

How did you tighten down the cooler? Since you appeared to have spread the paste manually, how did you do it? Was the die evenly covered?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

35 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

What are your fans running at on the graphics card? The log is showing fan speeds of over 100%. Do you have another program that can be used to confirm the graphics card's fan speeds, such as MSI Afterburner?

Using AMD's radeon software it says that on max load its goes 2700 RPM.

10 minutes ago, Pud of Mud said:

Using AMD's radeon software it says that on max load its goes 2700 RPM.

Just so I can confirm, what specific 6600 XT do you have? 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

46 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Just so I can confirm, what specific 6600 XT do you have? 

I have the MSI Radeon RX 6600XT Mech 2x OC edition

9 minutes ago, Pud of Mud said:

I have the MSI Radeon RX 6600XT Mech 2x OC edition

I would say overall, you're fine. 

However, did you tighten down the screws all the way, and tighten them evenly to ensure even pressure?

On 3/11/2024 at 7:47 PM, Godlygamer23 said:

I would say overall, you're fine. 

However, did you tighten down the screws all the way, and tighten them evenly to ensure even pressure?

I did and it applied evenly across the die.

i encountered a situation on a board recently where even though the cooler was applied properly and new heatsink paste applied, it still almost immediately crashed and shut off under any kind of load.

the issue was this particular cooler was attached to a backing plate with an extraordinarily large opening (basically just the 4 corners of the mounting holes of the CPU cooler where all that touched) that was allowing the area of the motherboard around the CPU socket to flex... enough so, that the motherboard itself distorted and actually bubbled down and away from the cooler... if you viewed the motherboard from the side, you could totally see how much lower it has sagged.

it distorted enough to allow the pressure from the cooler being applied to the CPU heatspreader to be less...and less...and less... until eventually it did not press hard enough to make good contact. in fact, barely enough to squeeze excess paste out from under it when i changed it, causing a much thicker than normal layer to be retained under there and acting like an insulator.

i ended up shimming out opening of the mounting plate with a sheet of aluminum with a layer of silicone pad on it to protect all the capacitors and stuff back there, and then re attaching the cooler.

worked perfect after that

backside cooler i guess.

1 hour ago, lilshawn said:

i encountered a situation on a board recently where even though the cooler was applied properly and new heatsink paste applied, it still almost immediately crashed and shut off under any kind of load.

the issue was this particular cooler was attached to a backing plate with an extraordinarily large opening (basically just the 4 corners of the mounting holes of the CPU cooler where all that touched) that was allowing the area of the motherboard around the CPU socket to flex... enough so, that the motherboard itself distorted and actually bubbled down and away from the cooler... if you viewed the motherboard from the side, you could totally see how much lower it has sagged.

it distorted enough to allow the pressure from the cooler being applied to the CPU heatspreader to be less...and less...and less... until eventually it did not press hard enough to make good contact. in fact, barely enough to squeeze excess paste out from under it when i changed it, causing a much thicker than normal layer to be retained under there and acting like an insulator.

i ended up shimming out opening of the mounting plate with a sheet of aluminum with a layer of silicone pad on it to protect all the capacitors and stuff back there, and then re attaching the cooler.

worked perfect after that

backside cooler i guess.

Interesting situation... When I took apart my GPU I didn't notice serious board flex; I did, however, see when I reinserted the GPU some sagging with the board. With that being said and using that logic, than a GPU stand should fix the issue, right?

40 minutes ago, Pud of Mud said:

Interesting situation... When I took apart my GPU I didn't notice serious board flex; I did, however, see when I reinserted the GPU some sagging with the board. With that being said and using that logic, than a GPU stand should fix the issue, right?

If the card is sagging, it's possible it's not making good contact in certain areas...you could try using a makeshift set up before moving to something more permanent, such as Legos.