"PING" ADVICE NEEDED

image.png.34275d75d70b859d4efe4dd627738d46.png
Is this a stable ping? Or should I do some changes to make it better. My games feel a bit jittery.

5 minutes ago, u55ama said:

image.png.34275d75d70b859d4efe4dd627738d46.png
Is this a stable ping? Or should I do some changes to make it better. My games feel a bit jittery.

its phenomenally low ping in everything but download, which is very strangely high, so if its online games youre playing thatd possibly be a contributing factor if not the cause

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

1 minute ago, TatamiMatt said:

its phenomenally low in everything but download, which is very strangely high, so if its online games youre playing thatd possibly be a contributing factor if not a cause

How do I lower it to a normal ping. I'm was not playing any game at the time of this speedtest but I do play games and the experience sometimes is not enjoyable.

1 minute ago, u55ama said:

How do I lower it to a normal ping. I'm was not playing any game at the time of this speedtest but I do play games and the experience sometimes is not enjoyable.

Are they online games?

System specs:

That's a stable ping, that's just 2ms. Your dowwnload is lower than your upload. If I have to guess, that means, there are other devices actively using it. However, if you are talking about your game. That would still depends on which server you are playing at. If the game's server is located in a far away country than where you are from, then that might be the cause why it's not stable.

Just now, TatamiMatt said:

Are they online games?

Yes, RUST & Warzone. also adding that I'm on a cable connection not a wireless one.

1 minute ago, kitnoman said:

That's a stable ping, that's just 2ms. Your dowwnload is lower than your upload. If I have to guess, that means, there are other devices actively using it. However, if you are talking about your game. That would still depends on which server you are playing at. If the game's server is located in a far away country than where you are from, then that might be the cause why it's not stable.

Download latency here is very high no?

System specs:

1 minute ago, kitnoman said:

RUST servers show 92-102 ping for EU servers meanwhile i'm in Pakistan(Southeast Asia). When I join the server, ping goes upto 250-298

Just now, u55ama said:

RUST servers show 92-102 ping for EU servers meanwhile i'm in Pakistan(Southeast Asia). When I join the server, ping goes upto 250-298

There are several reason why you are experiencing laggy or jittery game. First is the latency with the server. It could be that you are really just too far from their EU server.  This is something that you might not have control  over. However, there might be another one that's causing the issue. It is the network priority on your model/router. What you can do to test is to turn off your modem/router's wifi and just make sure that the pc is the only one connected. If the ping and latency improves on the game. That means that other device connected to the internet are getting higher priority and/or your modem/router can't adequately handle all of them.

5 hours ago, u55ama said:

You can't blindly look at Speedtest results for networking issues. Ping, for example, is time it takes a package to go from your PC to server. For Rust, what you are seeing in browser is from you to server one way. But it might be that what you see in game is from you to server and back to you. Which is doubt the actual number, so 150ms max for you. Its still high-ish. But if game has good netcode, it doesn't matter.

For Speedtest, it picks closest server to you since purpose is to test your speeds, not ping. For ping testing, you should manually pick server that is geographically more in line with servers you play on. So EU servers usually Netherlands or Germany.

As example, closest Speedtest server for me is 200km away. Ping 25ms. From me to Mumbai, India, which is about same as from Pakistan to Netherlands, I get 180ms ping. And then there is routing. If you get bad routing through different countries servers, that will cause more instability to your connection. And you really can't do much about it.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

16 hours ago, TatamiMatt said:

Download latency here is very high no?

honestly,  dl latency isnt even a thing, at this point ookla became entirely useless.

16 hours ago, u55ama said:

routing issue most likely. 

i generally get the least issues playing on Chinese or Japanese servers (while korea is bad?), and im in EU. yet Germany and Switzerland which are the closest countries to me are generally literally unplayable due to the lag. yes ill get a lower ping but that doesn't help me with completely unstable connection and ghosting and teleporting all over the place. a good middle ground for me is USA, east cost honestly,  its not amazing,  but playable! 

ps: your speed test is irrelevant, it basically only shows you that yes, you have an internet connection.  i also highly doubt that "2ms" are even close to being accurate.  

17 hours ago, u55ama said:

Is this a stable ping?

can a single number be stable? how are we supposed to tell?

if you want to know your actual,  relevant ping open command prompt 

type: ping Google.com

hit enter

that'll show you ping to closest google server, it wont show you ping to any specific game servers though,  you'd need to measure that separately. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

honestly,  dl latency isnt even a thing, at this point ookla became entirely useless.

Good to know, not the most knowledgeable on networking myself, every days a learning day!

System specs: