Can a power outtage break my monitor and nintendo switch?

Eireagon
Can a power outtage break my monitor and nintendo switch?
So I had everything off, pc, xbox etc... powered off, but my monitor was in standby mode with the orange light and same with my Nintendo switch. I plugged everything out. So nothing surges when the power comes back. Think my Nintendo switch /monitor got damaged?

Power surges, outages can do weird things. I mean realistically most of us leave our stuff plugged in all the time through storms and outages year round and nothing happens.  That being said my PC is on a UPS because stuff can happen. 

I honestly wouldn't worry about it odds are high your monitor and switch are fine. Modern electronics will tolerate a fair amount. 

35 minutes ago, Eireagon said:

Think my Nintendo switch /monitor got damaged?

If they still work, then obviously not.

Generally, when the power just cuts out (black out) the risk of damage isn't super high.
Brown outs are more complex, because there the power doesn't cut out, but the voltage gets lower, which some devices don't like.
Generally, the most dangerous part is when the power comes back or the grid tries to restabilise itself, as far as I know.

Modern electronics can usually take whatever the grid throws at them, but a rest risk always remains.

English is not my first language, so please excuse any confusion or misunderstandings on my end.

I like to edit my posts a lot.

F@H-Stats

The Folding rig:

CPU: Core i7 4790K

RAM: 16 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600

GPU 1: RTX 2070 Super

GPU 2: GTX 1060 3GB

PSU: Gigabyte P450B EVGA 600BR EVGA 750BR

Linux let me down.

.- -- --- --. ..- ...         

Hello!

13 minutes ago, Average Nerd said:

Generally, when the power just cuts out (black out) the risk of damage isn't super high.

Generally, the most dangerous part is when the power comes back or the grid tries to restabilise itself, as far as I know.

Power outages really aren't not that black and white. In my experience it's very common for there to be harmful voltage fluctuations when the power "cuts" out: we just had a straight loss of service caused by a tree snapping a line last month, which caused a fairly significant voltage spike, and that in turn managed to cause an HDMI port on my TV to become highly flaky.

As for the second part of what I've quoted, I don't think that's inherently the biggest issue. In my experience with my provider, when they get things back up it's not unlike flipping a power switch in the sense that we just go from no power to normal power (which is how it should be). The most harmful parts of power loss originate from issues like what I just experienced; whether it be a tree falling on a line, some dumbass deciding their car looks better parked where the power line used to be, or a transformer deciding it wants to transform into a firework.

While I'm sure the power flicking on and off rapidly isn't exactly great for anything, it's realistically the super out of whack voltage spikes during power loss which cause things to let out the magic smoke.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

1 hour ago, flibberdipper said:

Power outages really aren't not that black and white. In my experience it's very common for there to be harmful voltage fluctuations when the power "cuts" out: we just had a straight loss of service caused by a tree snapping a line last month, which caused a fairly significant voltage spike, and that in turn managed to cause an HDMI port on my TV to become highly flaky.

As for the second part of what I've quoted, I don't think that's inherently the biggest issue. In my experience with my provider, when they get things back up it's not unlike flipping a power switch in the sense that we just go from no power to normal power (which is how it should be). The most harmful parts of power loss originate from issues like what I just experienced; whether it be a tree falling on a line, some dumbass deciding their car looks better parked where the power line used to be, or a transformer deciding it wants to transform into a firework.

While I'm sure the power flicking on and off rapidly isn't exactly great for anything, it's realistically the super out of whack voltage spikes during power loss which cause things to let out the magic smoke.

Ya power was only gone 15mins, supposedly they  had to turn it off over an acident. I plugged everything out once the power went, and plugged it back in after. Everything seems fine, and have everything in plugged into surge protectors. Only weird thing is monitor powered straight on without needing to press the power button, maybe that was becuase the power went when it was in standby mood. Switch was docked but in standby mode as well. Everything was off except for those two things being in standby mood. How will i know if anything got damaged?

2 hours ago, Average Nerd said:

If they still work, then obviously not.

Brown outs are more complex, because there the power doesn't cut out, but the voltage gets lower, which some devices don't like.

Modern electronics can usually take whatever the grid throws at them, but a rest risk always remains.

Ya power was only gone 15mins, supposedly they  had to turn it off over an acident. I plugged everything out once the power went, and plugged it back in after. Everything seems fine, and have everything in plugged into surge protectors. Only weird thing is monitor powered straight on without needing to press the power button, maybe that was becuase the power went when it was in standby mood. Switch was docked but in standby mode as well. Everything was off except for those two things being in standby mood. How will i know if anything got damaged?

2 hours ago, Eireagon said:

Monitors and TVs usually just "resume" where they left off so that's normal behavior.

Also, if things behave normally then you're fine. There isn't just some magical "yo bro u ok" button that gives you a clear-cut answer on if things got damaged or not. But realistically if your provider cut it, it was probably a pretty clean power cut so the chance for damage is rather unlikely.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

So recently my friend had lightning strike his house and it caused a power surge in all of his electronics. I was set on task to recover/fix everything I could, and here’s the general diagnosis of everything I fixed:

The PC GPU was fried. I didn’t have the right hardware to test the cpu. I assume the psu was fried, although I can’t be sure because the psu used proprietary Dell connectors. The M.2 SSD had a corrupted Windows installation, but I was able to plug the drive into one of my computers and recover the files from it.

As for the Monitor he had, the monitor itself was fine but the power cord was broken.

His Nintendo Switch itself was fine, but the dock was fried.

Obviously your results are going to vary, but I do know that most modern electronics have some amount of surge protection to help salvage some of the parts or electronics you may have.

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.