Yuzu and Citra Taken Down by Nintendo

Summary

Tropic Haze, the creators of the popular Nintendo Switch and 3DS emulators, Yuzu and Citra, has agreed to pay the $2,400,000 to Nintendo over the lawsuit that Nintendo issued a little over a week ago against Yuzu. Tropic Haze has agreed to shut down the production of Yuzu and Citra along with all social media accounts and websites that promote the Yuzu and Citra emulators. The yuzu-emu.org will be handed over to Nintendo as well. All the source code for Yuzu and Citra has been pulled down from Github.

Quotes

"Hello yuz-ers and Citra fans: We write today to inform you that yuzu and yuzu’s support of Citra are being discontinued, effective immediately.

yuzu and its team have always been against piracy. We started the projects in good faith, out of passion for Nintendo and its consoles and games, and were not intending to cause harm. But we see now that because our projects can circumvent Nintendo’s technological protection measures and allow users to play games outside of authorized hardware, they have led to extensive piracy. In particular, we have been deeply disappointed when users have used our software to leak game content prior to its release and ruin the experience for legitimate purchasers and fans.

We have come to the decision that we cannot continue to allow this to occur. Piracy was never our intention, and we believe that piracy of video games and on video game consoles should end. Effective today, we will be pulling our code repositories offline, discontinuing our Patreon accounts and Discord servers, and, soon, shutting down our websites. We hope our actions will be a small step toward ending piracy of all creators’ works. Thank you for your years of support and for understanding our decision." - Yuzu and Citra Developer, bunnei, on the Yuzu Discord 

"yuzu and its team have always been against piracy. We started the projects in good faith, out of passion for Nintendo and its consoles and games, and were not intending to cause harm. But we see now that because our projects can circumvent Nintendo’s technological protection measures and allow users to play games outside of authorized hardware, they have led to extensive piracy. In particular, we have been deeply disappointed when users have used our software to leak game content prior to its release and ruin the experience for legitimate purchasers and fans." - Yuzu website.

My thoughts

This is really terrible. It's one thing to face a lawsuit over your users using your program to do things that they shouldn't (I mean, can you imagine if this sort of thing happened with all programs?), but it's a whole different thing to make the company in question take down all the source code and references to it online. Nintendo, you done goofed.

Sources

The Verge

Yuzu Website

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

Well, I didn't realize this was already another topic. Whoops.

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

You gotta expect coming into a story this big 24 hours later that someone beat you to it. 

9 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

You gotta expect coming into a story this big 24 hours later that someone beat you to it. 

yeah, in hindsight that was really stupid lol

I love making PCPartPicker lists.

If I answer your question (or someone else), please mark it as the answer. 

Please refresh before replying, I like to edit my posts.

PC SPECS: Intel i5-12600K, RX 6700 XT, 32GB DDR4 RAM

Favorite cheap but great tech: AMD RX 6700 XT, Yunzii YZ75 Keyboard, Acer Nitro XV272U Vbmiiprx

59 minutes ago, PowerPCFan said:

Yes, I know.

26 minutes ago, GoStormPlays said:

Yes, I know.

I know that you know, I was just linking it for others that couldn't find it 🙂 

I love making PCPartPicker lists.

If I answer your question (or someone else), please mark it as the answer. 

Please refresh before replying, I like to edit my posts.

PC SPECS: Intel i5-12600K, RX 6700 XT, 32GB DDR4 RAM

Favorite cheap but great tech: AMD RX 6700 XT, Yunzii YZ75 Keyboard, Acer Nitro XV272U Vbmiiprx