Jump to content

240 Direct Die Water Cooling Solutions

SUPR3M3 OM3G4
Go to solution Solved by Agall,
3 hours ago, SUPR3M3 OM3G4 said:

No no, I'm not聽馃檪
I had that case back when I didn't travel and was working from home at a single location.

It's just the old case I had before this one.
Just wanted to share for clarity.聽

I'm currently traveling with and have my PC built into a Lian Li A4-H20.

Yes, my work does require a GPU聽馃檪

Sticking to a AIO is probably best since I wouldn't doubt if you happen to run into a TSA agent at some point who questions what fluid is inside of a custom loop. The factory nature of an AIO might give protection from that. Unless you can guarantee the loop is <3.4oz since that appears to be the limit. If you're never flying to-from the US, then that might not be a problem.

There's also the potential for damage if you're direct die mounting, since there's no longer the material buffer between the die and mass of a waterblock. If you haven't installed a contact frame yet I'd just do that and stick to the 240mm you're using currently.

If you're needing more performance, consider getting crazier fans for the AIO and/or ensure they're ducted through the radiator (taping off the gaps between the fan+radiator) then having a 'jet engine' mode for the fans.

I need some advice on potential cooling solutions for my 14900k please.聽馃榿

I'm currently using a Lian Li A4-H20 case, which means my current cooling solution needs to be a 240 AIO.聽
(Like many, I've opted for the EK-Nucleus AIO CR240)

However, I'm looking for a Direct Die Cooling solution.
However, the only AIO I've found that offers this is the聽EK-Nucleus AIO CR360 Direct Die, which naturally, won't fit in my case.

So I'm looking to potentially create custom loop, however, this will present a few challenges.
The first being that I don't really have much room if any for a standalone pump + reservoir.聽
This means I would most likely need either a CPU block that offers direct die cooling with a built in pump, or a radiator that has a built in pump.
However, the only radiators I've found that have built in pumps are on sites like AliExpress, which does not inspire confidence.聽馃槄

I'm curious if anyone here has a potential work around or knows of a reliable 240 Direct Die AIO?

It seems like there should be a market for these with the 13th gen and 14th gen i9 CPUs running so hot, but I'm rather surprised at how challenging it's been to find a solution to this.
I would love to hear any suggestions for cooling with my specific case that could help improve my thermals a bit more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, SUPR3M3 OM3G4 said:

I need some advice on potential cooling solutions for my 14900k please.聽馃榿

I'm currently using a Lian Li A4-H20 case, which means my current cooling solution needs to be a 240 AIO.聽
(Like many, I've opted for the EK-Nucleus AIO CR240)

However, I'm looking for a Direct Die Cooling solution.
However, the only AIO I've found that offers this is the聽EK-Nucleus AIO CR360 Direct Die, which naturally, won't fit in my case.

So I'm looking to potentially create custom loop, however, this will present a few challenges.
The first being that I don't really have much room if any for a standalone pump + reservoir.聽
This means I would most likely need either a CPU block that offers direct die cooling with a built in pump, or a radiator that has a built in pump.
However, the only radiators I've found that have built in pumps are on sites like AliExpress, which does not inspire confidence.聽馃槄

I'm curious if anyone here has a potential work around or knows of a reliable 240 Direct Die AIO?

It seems like there should be a market for these with the 13th gen and 14th gen i9 CPUs running so hot, but I'm rather surprised at how challenging it's been to find a solution to this.
I would love to hear any suggestions for cooling with my specific case that could help improve my thermals a bit more.

Sounds like you need a new case

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012聽 //聽 Professional since 2017

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Grab a LL-O11, it's fantastic for custom loops and will fit that AIO

5950X/3080Ti primary rig聽 |聽 1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers聽 |聽 200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Agall said:

Sounds like you need a new case

15 minutes ago, OddOod said:

Grab a LL-O11, it's fantastic for custom loops and will fit that AIO

Sadly a larger case is not an option聽馃檪
(I used to have a COUGAR CONQUER, and LOVED it!)

However, I now travel a lot, and long story short, I also tried using a gaming laptop (a top of the line ROG Zephyrus), but it didn't meet my performance needs and actually broke down within a year. So a gaming laptop isn't an option for me either.
My workload typically makes laptops run really hot.

So instead my goal here was to build a small form factor PC that's as small as possible with as much power as possible. In other words, squeeze as much power into the smallest box possible.
The Lian-Li A4-H20 seems to be the best in terms of "size to performance potential" here.聽

I won't be able to go any larger, because I need to fit my PC in a travel case that I can check in on planes as "carry on luggage".
(Because Serbian Customs are weird and if I have it as carry on, I don't need to pay customs, but if it's being checked in, then I do need to pay customs ... I don't know why and they speak a total of 3 English words in circles, so I don't know why, but simply need to work around this problem)

Hence, I'm on a mission to cool my system as effectively as possible, or to at least see if there are any alternative options on the market for cooling SFF systems for effectively.聽
My only limitation is, it needs to be small enough to fit into a Pelican Carry Case that could be checked in as carry on luggage on planes.聽

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, SUPR3M3 OM3G4 said:

(I used to have a COUGAR CONQUER, and LOVED it!)

However, I now travel a lot,
So instead my goal here was to build a small form factor PC that's as small as possible with as much power as possible. In other words, squeeze as much power into the smallest box possible.

I won't be able to go any larger, because I need to fit my PC in a travel case that I can check in on planes as "carry on luggage".

Okay, now I'm really confused, you're using a full sized glass case for travel including carry-on flying?

Does your workload require a dGPU?

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012聽 //聽 Professional since 2017

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Eeek, For a SFF I really would have recommended staying away from intel. IIRC AMD wins hands down in performance per watt

5950X/3080Ti primary rig聽 |聽 1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers聽 |聽 200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Agall said:

Okay, now I'm really confused, you're using a full sized glass case for travel including carry-on flying?

Does your workload require a dGPU?

No no, I'm not聽馃檪
I had that case back when I didn't travel and was working from home at a single location.

It's just the old case I had before this one.
Just wanted to share for clarity.聽

I'm currently traveling with and have my PC built into a Lian Li A4-H20.

Yes, my work does require a GPU聽馃檪

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, OddOod said:

Eeek, For a SFF I really would have recommended staying away from intel. IIRC AMD wins hands down in performance per watt

I was considering it, but my last two builds were both AMD聽(first having a 1600 CPU and second having a 3800X CPU at the time) and I got tired of the stability issues I encountered with both. It got better with age, but it was really annoying to deal with at the time聽馃槗
I noticed even "JaysTwoCents" had a similar issues with his Skunkworks build where he switched from AMD to Intel due to stability issues.

So I wanted to rather play it safe and run a little warmer than run cooler and face stability headaches again聽馃槄

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, SUPR3M3 OM3G4 said:

No no, I'm not聽馃檪
I had that case back when I didn't travel and was working from home at a single location.

It's just the old case I had before this one.
Just wanted to share for clarity.聽

I'm currently traveling with and have my PC built into a Lian Li A4-H20.

Yes, my work does require a GPU聽馃檪

Sticking to a AIO is probably best since I wouldn't doubt if you happen to run into a TSA agent at some point who questions what fluid is inside of a custom loop. The factory nature of an AIO might give protection from that. Unless you can guarantee the loop is <3.4oz since that appears to be the limit. If you're never flying to-from the US, then that might not be a problem.

There's also the potential for damage if you're direct die mounting, since there's no longer the material buffer between the die and mass of a waterblock. If you haven't installed a contact frame yet I'd just do that and stick to the 240mm you're using currently.

If you're needing more performance, consider getting crazier fans for the AIO and/or ensure they're ducted through the radiator (taping off the gaps between the fan+radiator) then having a 'jet engine' mode for the fans.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012聽 //聽 Professional since 2017

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, SUPR3M3 OM3G4 said:

I was considering it, but my last two builds were both AMD聽(first having a 1600 CPU and second having a 3800X CPU at the time) and I got tired of the stability issues I encountered with both. It got better with age, but it was really annoying to deal with at the time聽馃槗
I noticed even "JaysTwoCents" had a similar issues with his Skunkworks build where he switched from AMD to Intel due to stability issues.

So I wanted to rather play it safe and run a little warmer than run cooler and face stability headaches again聽馃槄

7950x at 105W TDP limit barely loses any performance compared to the full 250W TDP. I have a server at work I did that to simply to ensure it never runs into an issue. Intel on the other hand loses more even locked at 150W.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012聽 //聽 Professional since 2017

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Agall said:

Sticking to a AIO is probably best since I wouldn't doubt if you happen to run into a TSA agent at some point who questions what fluid is inside of a custom loop. The factory nature of an AIO might give protection from that. Unless you can guarantee the loop is <3.4oz since that appears to be the limit. If you're never flying to-from the US, then that might not be a problem.

There's also the potential for damage if you're direct die mounting, since there's no longer the material buffer between the die and mass of a waterblock. If you haven't installed a contact frame yet, sticking to the 240mm you're using currently is probably best.聽

If you're needing more performance, consider getting crazier fans for the AIO and/or ensure they're ducted through the radiator (taping off the gaps between the fan+radiator) then having a 'jet engine' mode for the fans.

Damn ... you make a good point.
I didn't even consider the fact that vibrations from the travel could result in the Die being damaged if I did direct to die cooling聽馃槄

But fair enough, I personally don't like Serbian customs because of how irrational they are and now that you've mentioned it, the risk of them having an issue with the liquid in a custom loop is quite high.

I think you got the solution here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now