Connecting argb fans to an msi B450 - A Pro Max??

Hikusai

I want to get 6 fans with ARGB for my B450 - A Pro Max, but I have 2 problems.

The JRGB1 header (see attached image) is 4 pin instead of 3 pin, so it does not support ARGB.

And I don't have enough fan headers on my board.

I think I'll need to get either a control hub for fans/RGB, and or fan splitters.
So I have 4 questions:
(Feel free to only answer whichever you may know an answer to.)

1.) Is it possible for a control hub for ARGB (and/or for fans) to connect to my motherboard so that I can control the ARGB through software, and not have to change the lights through the control hub itself or its remote control? Even though I have a 4 pin JRGB1 connector?

2.) If so, what do I need to look out for, to make sure it has an ARGB connector that's compatible with my board?

3.) If I decide to get some fan splitters to control the fan speed through my motherboard, is it possible to connect the ARGB cables from those fans into the control hub mentioned above, to have the hub solely for the purpose of controlling the ARGB of the fans, which are connected into my motherboard through the fan splitter?

4.) Are there control hubs that would let me control both the fan speed and the ARGB through software, by connecting to my motherboard? (I'm sure it can let me control the fan speed, but considering the JRGB1 header I have, I'm unsure if its possible for the ARGB.)
If so, do you know of any example?

Link to manual - B450-A PRO MAX | Motherboard | MSI Global

Board3.jpg

all rgb systems are mostly proprietary and were never intended to be user friendly or compatible on purpose.

buy the correct controller for the specific fans you get and use that.

8 hours ago, Hikusai said:

I want to get 6 fans with ARGB for my B450 - A Pro Max, but I have 2 problems.

The JRGB1 header (see attached image) is 4 pin instead of 3 pin, so it does not support ARGB.

And I don't have enough fan headers on my board.

I think I'll need to get either a control hub for fans/RGB, and or fan splitters.
So I have 4 questions:
(Feel free to only answer whichever you may know an answer to.)

1.) Is it possible for a control hub for ARGB (and/or for fans) to connect to my motherboard so that I can control the ARGB through software, and not have to change the lights through the control hub itself or its remote control? Even though I have a 4 pin JRGB1 connector?

2.) If so, what do I need to look out for, to make sure it has an ARGB connector that's compatible with my board?

3.) If I decide to get some fan splitters to control the fan speed through my motherboard, is it possible to connect the ARGB cables from those fans into the control hub mentioned above, to have the hub solely for the purpose of controlling the ARGB of the fans, which are connected into my motherboard through the fan splitter?

4.) Are there control hubs that would let me control both the fan speed and the ARGB through software, by connecting to my motherboard? (I'm sure it can let me control the fan speed, but considering the JRGB1 header I have, I'm unsure if its possible for the ARGB.)
If so, do you know of any example?

Link to manual - B450-A PRO MAX | Motherboard | MSI Global

Board3.jpg

You have 4 sys fan headers,  plus the CPU fan header. Why isn't that enough?

1. Yes. 
  2. If you get a hub with a USB cable, or similar, you should be able to. 
  3. If you buy an ARGB hub, yes. 
  4. Yes.  Barrow has some. Micro Connections, sold at Micro Center at least, also has them. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

5 hours ago, RevGAM said:

You have 4 sys fan headers,  plus the CPU fan header. Why isn't that enough?

1. Yes. 
  2. If you get a hub with a USB cable, or similar, you should be able to. 
  3. If you buy an ARGB hub, yes. 
  4. Yes.  Barrow has some. Micro Connections, sold at Micro Center at least, also has them. 

Thank you for the advice!
I'll look into those right away.

And I figured I could only plug in 1 fan per SYS_FAN header? (Without using a fan splitter)
So my CPU fan into the CPU_FAN, and then 4 fans into the 4 SYS_FAN headers, leaves one extra fan that I'm unable to plug in?

50 minutes ago, Hikusai said:

Thank you for the advice!
I'll look into those right away.

And I figured I could only plug in 1 fan per SYS_FAN header? (Without using a fan splitter)
So my CPU fan into the CPU_FAN, and then 4 fans into the 4 SYS_FAN headers, leaves one extra fan that I'm unable to plug in?

How many fans depends on how many amps each fan draws. If you have a .1A (safety draw) fan, you can safely plug in 10 fans to most headers, as they generally support 1A total. Some pump fans support more than 1A.

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2024 at 2:40 PM, RevGAM said:

1. If you get a hub with a USB cable, or similar, you should be able to. 
  2. If you buy an ARGB hub, yes. 

So to clarify about this, you're saying the way for the hub to connect to my motherboard should be through a USB connector?
Because I can't seem to find one that has a 4 pin RGB connector, but rather they all seem to have the 3 pin ARGB connector, like this one in the image below:

And I read this comment elsewhere that seems to suggest there's no way to control the ARGB through software in my situation?

"Yes, that will work, but not as you expect. The fundamental issue is that you can NOT power and control a 3-pin ARGB lighting system from a 4-pin plain RGB lighting header and there is NO simple adapter. One option is to buy a special type of ARGB lighting HUB that can accept the plain RGB lighting header control signals and "translate" all that into "ARGB language" (if you will) so that the lights do work under mobo control with the proper power supply. BUT that only gets you the simpler types of displays a plain RGB system can do. The other system is closer to what you suggest - buy a separate ARGB Controller that does the job properly, as that item does, giving you all of the diplay capability of ARGB. BUT you can NOT connect that item to your mobo plain RGB header, either, so you can NOT control the lights from the mobo header and its software tool. You MUST use the manual remote control box that comes in that set to make all your ARGB lighting changes."

If this is true, and I change my approach to just controlling the ARGB through a remote control, would that hub even need to connect to my motherboard at all?

(My only issue with relying on remote control is that my current propriatary hub will remember the last color/pattern/mode I chose, except if I turn it off. When I boot up the PC next, the ARGB will by default turn on, using the last color/setting I had. Which is annoying if I want it to be off, since I have to turn it off every time. I hope not all hub/controllers are like this...)

pinpin3.jpg

Nothing wrong with the quote, but my answer is still valid to my knowledge. You need to get an ARGB hub that connects to the mobo in some way other than the RGB header (e.g. USB, PCIe). I never said to look for an RGB hub,  lol, so no wonder you are confused. Sorry that wasn't clear. 

Some hubs only offer the option of an RC, while others only connect to your mobo (and most use your PSU), but some use the PSU for power, have an RC and another connector other than fan connectors. That's what you need to look for. I hope that's clear now?

HUB: takes  a RGB or ARGB signal(from ur MB) and sends it out like a Y splitter (with power)

Controller: conects to a motherboard with usb or IR remote,  these can control ur stuff if ur motherboard has nothing 

1 hour ago, NorKris said:

HUB: takes  a RGB or ARGB signal(from ur MB) and sends it out like a Y splitter (with power)

Controller: conects to a motherboard with usb or IR remote,  these can control ur stuff if ur motherboard has nothing 

You'd better tell the manufacturers that, since I've seen plenty that don't follow those rules. 😉

6 hours ago, RevGAM said:

Nothing wrong with the quote, but my answer is still valid to my knowledge. You need to get an ARGB hub that connects to the mobo in some way other than the RGB header (e.g. USB, PCIe). I never said to look for an RGB hub,  lol, so no wonder you are confused. Sorry that wasn't clear. 

Some hubs only offer the option of an RC, while others only connect to your mobo (and most use your PSU), but some use the PSU for power, have an RC and another connector other than fan connectors. That's what you need to look for. I hope that's clear now?

Oh it's not your fault. I missed the part where you mentioned USB the first time.

I managed to find one that connects via USB.
zalman | PSU, Cases, CPU Coolers
But I can only find it being sold along with a bunch of their own fans, and it's quite expensive ($85 USD) so I'll keep looking.

I'm mainly looking at places like Amazon and Aliexpress since I live in Europe and don't have access to the Microcenter you mentioned.

In case I'm unable to find one that connects via USB, if I instead get one that is powered by the PSU through SATA, and connects via the 5V 3-pin header (that I don't have) and simply don't plug it into the motherboard, should I still be able to control the ARGB through a remote controll at least?

2 hours ago, Hikusai said:

Oh it's not your fault. I missed the part where you mentioned USB the first time.

I managed to find one that connects via USB.
zalman | PSU, Cases, CPU Coolers
But I can only find it being sold along with a bunch of their own fans, and it's quite expensive ($85 USD) so I'll keep looking.

I'm mainly looking at places like Amazon and Aliexpress since I live in Europe and don't have access to the Microcenter you mentioned.

In case I'm unable to find one that connects via USB, if I instead get one that is powered by the PSU through SATA, and connects via the 5V 3-pin header (that I don't have) and simply don't plug it into the motherboard, should I still be able to control the ARGB through a remote controll at least?

Yes, the RC can be your proxy for the mobo control.

Be careful on Aliexpress - and be careful to protect your data.