Why did the compression restart?

cns00

I am using WinRar 6.24 to make .rar files. I have a folder which has a 40gb .iso file and 2 small sized .rar files. I added that folder to a .rar file. It said it needs 30min to complete. It created a .rar file which is 0kb while it started compressing. 

The compression reached 100 % but it didn't finish and it restarted the compression again. The size of the .rar file is now 1kb. It reached 23% but it said 4 hours remaining. I cancelled the compression and again I added that folder to a .rar file.

The same thing happened again and the compression restarted again when it reached 100% and the remaining time initially was 23 hours but the compression speed was a bit faster and the remaining time dropped quickly. This time the compression finished when it reached 100% the second time and the total time for the 2 pass compression was 50 min.

Why did it do a 2 pass compression? It looks like the first pass was just a test compression and the second pass was the real compression. That didn't happen when I compressed a 2gb .mp4 file and the real compression started first.

It could be to do with you nesting .rar files with the .iso that you're then trying to compress. You shouldn't really nest compressed files/folders, it usually results in a larger file, and can cause other issues. Most notably, if you nest too many times, you'll flag some A/Vs for creating a RAR/TAR/ZIP bomb, aka, one compressed file that expands out to something massive and eats your CPU as you do it.

Side note, what in the hell is this ISO that's 40GB? That's a chonky boi.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

Are you sure it shows overall progress and not just progress per file? Meaning when it "restarts" it actually just starts compressing the next file in your folder.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Can you send a screenshot of this, and why tf is the iso 40GB?!

2 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

Are you sure it shows overall progress and not just progress per file? Meaning when it "restarts" it actually just starts compressing the next file in your folder.

The folder has A which is an .iso file, B and C which are other stuff. I did right click on the folder and I clicked on create .rar archive. First it said adding A to archive and when it reached 100% it again added A to the archive and it repeated what it did. When it reached 100% for the second time it added B and C and it finished and the overall progress became 100%. Why did it redo adding A?

1 hour ago, goatedpenguin said:

Can you send a screenshot of this, and why tf is the iso 40GB?!

It's an .iso file for a game.

5 hours ago, cns00 said:

It's an .iso file for a game.

An .iso file are made to fit on a 700MB CD or 8GB DVD.... anything above makes no sense.. 

altho.. i've had one with tools that was 20GB designed for a larger USB stick.  with several .iso's inside.. Hirens image or something like that.