Best linux distro for RAW GAMING performance

Go to solution Solved by Eigenvektor,
18 minutes ago, Vecna said:

I was seriously considering it. Do you think games run better on it compared to Debian?

Debian is geared towards stability and server use. The software that is included out of the box is old (for that very reason). I've used Debian on my servers for years, but I have no experience using it for gaming.

You're likely better of with something that includes up-to-date software and drivers. Personally, I'm on Manjaro which is fairly cutting edge (not quite bleeding edge like Arch would). It works great for gaming and receives new features pretty early.

1 minute ago, BoomerDutch said:

Let us know which one came out best for you.

I'm interested to hear about it.

I will surely let you know. I will get to it in a week or so

47 minutes ago, BoomerDutch said:

Please do, and remember to write your thoughts on each distro as you use it, it'll just become a blur of "things I didn't like, but can't remember why" if you don't 🙂

32 minutes ago, Ralphred said:
1 hour ago, BoomerDutch said:

Please do, and remember to write your thoughts on each distro as you use it, it'll just become a blur of "things I didn't like, but can't remember why" if you don't 🙂

Yes of course! I intend to make a detailed post about my findings to help out anyone else who is interested. Here is what I'm gonna do:
Use Ventoy on USB1 and have all the ISOs im gonna test
USB2 will have a MULTIMC LAUNCHER (Minecraft) with shaders and without (to find out both cpu and gpu performance)
i5 7200U 8gb ram Intel HD 620 machine with a 512gb HDD machine
I will run the same version of the game on all distros without making any modifications to the de settings. I will run KDE on all distros that ship with it (if given the choice)

To ensure a fair test, A new world will be created each time with seed: linusDROPtips
I will share my personal experience as well.

8 hours ago, wasab said:

if your games run like crap, no OS or distros are gonna save you.

You can get performance boosts on certain hardware while running games on proton. It just works better!

And btw, you can try to use Ubuntu based distros without Canonical shenanigans like Mint or Pop!_OS (which i use).

I don't recommend Manjaro because of how they manage their packages and how that interferes with AUR.

1 hour ago, Ralphred said:

Do you have any requests of things I should test on each distro? I posted what I wanted to test above. I will be happy to try and do what you want

9 hours ago, Vecna said:

Do you have any requests of things I should test on each distro?

Not really requests, you just seem to be taking a sensible approach with the intention of learning something - your experiences will be able to help others here if well documented.