SD card as reliable secondary storage?

itzflame002

hello all, long time lurker here
my laptop is a lenovo thinkpad flex 5 (FLEX 5-15ARE05) that is great for what i use it for (web browsing and school) because of the touch screen and lightweight but it has one major flaw, the SSD is only 120 GBs of storage. failing to find any good resources for disassembly i won't be taking the time to replace the SSD (plus the hassle of a fresh windows install).

it has a regular (not micro) SD card slot, if i get a go out and purchase a reputable brand name one that has fast-ish W/R speeds. will it be acceptable or laggy? 
i dont want to boot off of it just for storage of pdf files and likes.
thanks in advance. 

Not reliable for OS.

It will be slow and possibly not gonna work.

It only works best for SD card if its installed near CPU with steam deck does.

Sd card is only useful for transfer files

On laptops.

You can certainly try install games on it.

Load times will be long or it will crash

You can buy external SSD and if you have usb 3 (blue usb) then yes with external SSD can work.

I'm jank tinkerer if it works then it works.

Regardless of compatibility 🐧🖖

I consider SD cards to be disposable storage devices, like USB flash drives. They're okay, but less trustworthy than "real" SSDs or hard drives.

It's going to be slower than your boot SSD, so I wouldn't run software off of it, but it's perfectly adequate as file storage.

No matter where you store your data, always follow the 3-2-1 backup rule for stuff you care about: have three copies, on two different kinds of media, one of which is off-site. (Cloud storage like Dropbox or Google Drive counts as off-site.)

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

11 minutes ago, itzflame002 said:

my laptop is a lenovo thinkpad flex 5 (FLEX 5-15ARE05) that is great for what i use it for (web browsing and school) because of the touch screen and lightweight but it has one major flow, the SSD is only 120 GBs of storage. failing to find any good resources for disassembly i won't be taking the time to replace the SSD (plus the hassle of a fresh windows install).

it has a regular (not micro) SD card slot, if i get a go out and purchase a reputable brand name one that has fast-ish W/R speeds. will it be acceptable or laggy? 
thanks in advance. 

May I note as said by Linus in This Video. Hard drives and ssds usually give you errors months of weeks before they fail, You won't have that luxury with an sd card.

While it should be fine, be careful using it as a primary storage device.

33 minutes ago, itzflame002 said:

my laptop is a lenovo thinkpad flex 5 (FLEX 5-15ARE05) that is great for what i use it for (web browsing and school) because of the touch screen and lightweight but it has one major flow, the SSD is only 120 GBs of storage. failing to find any good resources for disassembly i won't be taking the time to replace the SSD (plus the hassle of a fresh windows install).

thanks in advance. 

Since you said its for storing pdf then thats good but they are not reliable, then can get lost easily, some easily get corrupted and thus would make you loss your stuff.

It is recommended to get a portable ssd since they are not small as sd cards and gets easily lost plus they are faster and has less rist of corruption.

You can get a flash drive too its better than sd card or regular 2.5" portable hdd if you cant get the ssd.

2 hours ago, BoomerDutch said:

Not reliable for OS.

It will be slow and possibly not gonna work.

OP said they are not using it as OS:

2 hours ago, itzflame002 said:

That's fine for reading docs especially if you back them up elsewhere or you don't mind losing the files eventually, because they're not as reliable as external drives. SD reliability is measured in hours (connected or actually in use? Who knows), not TBW or drive writes per day like drives.

I haven't had a SD card fail on me in spite of using the same one in a phone for years, but they dont have diagnostic warnings & tools (e.g. SMART tests & stats) like external drives do. Some USB storage sticks might support these, but I haven't seen evidence that they're more reliable than SD cards.

You can get an SD card with at least a Class 10/U1 speed, and if the SD card doesn't even have it on the card I won't even think of buying it because the random & small file read/write speeds would likely be much worse.

As for my personal experience with SD card for my PC: I bought an Sandisk U1 400 GB micro SD and decided to try to use it for storing 100+ smaller ❤️ GB games. No loading/performance complaints. So it works well for games but when I kept it plugged in often, Steam would seem to regularly revalidate or update a handful of games after each startup, which indicates to me an occasional corruption issue or maybe a bug with Steam library handling SD cards. So I only plug it in when there's a small game I want to play.

SD card are not reliable storage solution, it’s one of the reasons phone manufacturers stopped including them as hybrid sim slots.
They are usually on crappy nand, and have no build in protection for wear leveling, or error correction, and they also do not refresh data. 

I only buy hi end fast reputable SD cards, and I had failures, as well, as data retention problems ( I had corrupted old photos on the SD card , not all, just random old ones, what’s worse, I rewritten my backup with the corrupted ones ).

use it as pendrive, only to move a copy odpad the data somewhere, it’s not a good secondary storage media.

Spoiler
CPU : Intel 14gen i7-14700K
COOLER :  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 White + thermaltake toughfan 12 white + Thermal Grizzly - CPU Contact Frame Intel 13./14. +  Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra
GPU : MSI RTX 2070 Armor @GPU 2050MHz Mem 8200MHz -> USB C 10Gb/s cable 2m -> Unitek 4x USB HUB 10 Gb/s (Y-HB08003)
MOBO : MSI MEG Z690 UNIFY
RAM :  Corsair VENGEANCE DDR5 RAM 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) 6400 MHz CL32 (CMK64GX5M2B6400C32)
SSD : Intel Optane 905P 960GB U.2 (OS) + 2 x WD SN850X 4TB + 2 x PNY CS3140 2TB + ASM2824 PCIe switch -> 4 x Plextor M8PeG 1TB + flexiDOCK MB014SP-B -> Crucial MX500 2TB + GoodRam Iridium PRO 960GB + Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
HDD : WD White 18TB WD180EDFZ + SATA port multiplier adp6st0-j05 (JMB575) ->  WD Gold 8TB WD8002FRYZ + WD Gold 4TB WD4002FYYZ + WD Red PRO 4TB WD4001FFSX + WD Green 2TB WD20EARS
EXTERNAL
HDD/SSD : 
XT-XINTE LM906 (JMS583) -> Plextor M8PeG 1TB + WD My Passport slim 1TB + LaCie Porsche Design Mobile Drive 1TB USB-C + Zalman ZM-VE350 -> Goodram IRDM PRO 240GB
PSU :  Super Flower leadex platinum 750 W biały -> Bitfenix alchemy extensions białe/białe + AsiaHorse 16AWG White 
UPS :  CyberPower CP1500EPFCLCD -> Brennenstuhl primera-line 8 -> Brennenstuhl primera-line 10
LCD :  LG 32UD59-B + LG flatron IPS236 -> Silverstone SST-ARM11BC
CASE :  Fractal R5 Biały + Lian Li BZ-H06A srebrny + 6 x Thermaltake toughfan 14 white + Thermalright TL-B8W
SPEAKERS :  Aune S6 Pro -> Topping PA3-B -> Polk S20e black -> Monoprice stand 16250
HEADPHONES :  TOSLINK 2m -> Aune S6 Pro -> 2 x Monoprice Premier 1.8m 16AWG 3-pin XLR -> Monoprice Monolith THX AAA 887 -> 4-pin XLR na 2 x 3.5mm 16 cores OCC 2m Cable -> HiFiMAN Edition XS -> sheepskin pads + 4-pin XLR na 2 x 2.5mm ABLET silver 2m  Cable -> Monoprice Monolith M1060 + Brainwavz HM100 -> Brainwavz sheepskin oval pads + Wooden double Ɪ Stand + Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7BK -> sheepskin pads + Multibrackets MB1893 + Sennheiser Momentum 3 +  Philips Fidelio X2HR/00 + JBL J88 White
MIC :  Tonor TC30 -> Mozos SB38
KEYBOARD : Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Silent (EU) + Glorious PC Gaming Race Stealth Slim - Full Size Black + PQI MyLockey
MOUSE :  Logitech MX ERGO + 2 x Logitech MX Performance + Logitech G Pro wireless + Logitech G Pro Gaming -> Hotline Games 2.0 Plus + Corsair MM500 3xl + Corsair MM300 Extended + Razer goliathus control
CONTROLLERS :  Microsoft xbox series x controller pc (1VA-00002) -> brainwavz audio Controller Holder UGC2 + Microsoft xbox 360 wireless black + Ravcore Javelin
NET :  Intel x520-DA2 -> 2 x FTLX8571D3BCV-IT + 2 x ASUS ZenWiFi Pro XT12
NAS :  Qnap TS-932X-2G -> Noctua NF-P14s redux 1200 PWM -> Kingston 16GB 2400Mhz CL14 (HX424S14IB/16) -> 9 x Crucial MX500 2TB ->  2 x FTLX8571D3BCV-IT -> 2 x Digitus (DK-HD2533-05/3)