Brother inkjet printer: 1 year of printing black-only documents. my color levels are almost as low as my black levels. why??

kofman13

I have a brother mfc-J805DW and the only thing i print is sheet music and legal documents. only black and white. i always specifically click "black&white" when printing from my computer. On the printer screen black is shows as maybe 10% of the cartridge left. Actually its been more than a year, not bad i guess. What baffles me is in that 1+ year i have probably printed only 2-3 pages of color this ENTIRE TIME. and each was maybe a small banner of one color. never printed any photos. Yet my CMY levels on the screen show like 20 % or almost as low as my black. if i dont print color, why are my color levels so low?

CPU: Intel 5820K OC 4GHZ | RAM: 16GB Corsair | GPU: ASUS STRIX 1070 8GB OC | Samsung EVO 980 500GB

Inkjet printers use ink to clean out the nozzles before each print. They do that to all nozzles, not matter the color you print.

Not before each print, but usually at time and page intervals. E.g. if you don't use the printer for a month it'll purge some ink on the next powerup to avoid it drying in the nozzles which if it happens ruins the print head and the printer is essentially trash at that point.聽

Laser's usually a better choice unless you need to print photos, especially if printing rarely.

F@H
Desktop:聽i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0,聽Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO,聽Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro聽RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan),聽Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

4 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Not before each print, but usually at time and page intervals. E.g. if you don't use the printer for a month it'll purge some ink on the next powerup to avoid it drying in the nozzles which if it happens ruins the print head and the printer is essentially trash at that point.聽

Laser's usually a better choice if you rarely print, unless you need to print photos.

Thanks that makes sense! yes i kind of rarely print like twice a month

CPU: Intel 5820K OC 4GHZ | RAM: 16GB Corsair | GPU: ASUS STRIX 1070 8GB OC | Samsung EVO 980 500GB

As hinted at... laser is the way to go. A black only laser set up isn't THAT pricey. Whether or not there's a break even for you is another story.

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

41 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Laser's usually a better choice unless you need to print photos, especially if printing rarely.

Depends on your printer, and how it prints. Not all inkjet printers use the same style cartridges.聽

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" -聽Edward I. Koch