Noctua NH-D15 vs Lian Li Galahad 360 AIO

MikeGold
Go to solution Solved by DoctorNick,

@MikeGoldThis is much easier to compare than the video and far more updated CPU wise. AM5 and Intel 1700 (13700k):

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/arctic-liquid-freezer-iii-240-black-aio-liquid-cpu-cooler/7.html

temp-intel-45-dba-250.png

So I've built my PC recently with 14900K and Noctua NH-D15. 
My temps are 35 idle, 60-65 gaming, 88 encoding video (thermal throttling at some times) on stock settings.

I've decided that maybe I should get AIO to get better performance and after a discussion in here ordered Lian Li from Amazon.

Now I'm having my doubts (while waiting for delivery of Lian Li). Will AIO really give me better cooling performance and more importantly less thermal throttling?
I'm not planning to overclock my CPU. Will it be much louder?

How should I direct intake and exhaust of fans if I'll decide to install that AIO on the side wall? Currently I have bottom and side "in" and top and back "out".

Lastly any advice for the guy that never used water cooling in the past and wants to avoid newbie mistakes?
Thanks in advance :).

PC.jpg

12 minutes ago, MikeGold said:

My temps are 35 idle, 60-65 gaming, 88 encoding video (thermal throttling at some times) on stock settings.

I've decided that maybe I should get AIO to get better performance and after a discussion in here ordered Lian Li from Amazon.

Now I'm having my doubts (while waiting for delivery of Lian Li). Will AIO really give me better cooling performance and more importantly less thermal throttling?

How should I direct intake and exhaust of fans if I'll decide to install that AIO on the side wall? Currently I have bottom and side "in" and top and back "out".

Lastly any advice for the guy that never used water cooling in the past and wants to avoid newbie mistakes?

That's actually pretty good temps for 14900k on a NH-D15. But yes you can get better temps. You can check out gamers nexus' review on the new liquid freezer III which also includes the trinity. Temperature difference from NH-D15 to top AIO will be bigger on 14900k, because of the higher TDP. Liquid freezere III comes with a contact frame. You could add a contact frame to your current setup. Idk how much difference it would make IRL: 

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

@MikeGoldThis is much easier to compare than the video and far more updated CPU wise. AM5 and Intel 1700 (13700k):

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/arctic-liquid-freezer-iii-240-black-aio-liquid-cpu-cooler/7.html

temp-intel-45-dba-250.png

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

32 minutes ago, MikeGold said:

PC.jpg

Having your chip 5C cooler won't give any more performance unless it was 100C (throttling) previously...

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

34 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Having your chip 5C cooler won't give any more performance unless it was 100C (throttling) previously...

It's more about efficiency. I don't need more processing power as it is an overkill of a setup as it is for me. It's more about limiting throttling a bit. The more videos I see on the subject the more confused I get. In the past I was building on air cooling only and Noctua was always the way.

1 minute ago, MikeGold said:

It's more about efficiency. I don't need more processing power as it is an overkill of a setup as it is for me. It's more about limiting throttling a bit. The more videos I see on the subject the more confused I get. In the past I was building on air cooling only and Noctua was always the way.

If your chip is below throttling temp (100C) it works at its max "power" (as setup in BIOS, voltage, clocks...)

Increasing cooling in this case will give 0 performance, unless you oveclock the chip to make use of the new thermal headroom

Also an AIO make the case inside cooler overall (cause hot air is pushed out), usually resulting in better VRM and GPU temps, but again this has usually no direct performance impact unless other components were at max "operating" temp

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

6 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

If your chip is below throttling temp (100C) it works at its max "power" (as setup in BIOS, voltage, clocks...)

Increasing cooling in this case will give 0 performance, unless you oveclock the chip to make use of the new thermal headroom

Also an AIO make the case inside cooler overall (cause hot air is pushed out), usually resulting in better VRM and GPU temps, but again this has usually no direct performance impact unless other components were at max "operating" temp

So while you mentioned the case temperature to be lower, could you please tell me how to point the fans when I install the AIO? 
Currently I have bottom and side intake, top and back exhaust. I will be installing AIO on the side. I guess it should be on exhaust as well then? Won't I have a negative pressure then? (I've attached picutre of my setup in my original post)

4 minutes ago, MikeGold said:

So while you mentioned the case temperature to be lower, could you please tell me how to point the fans when I install the AIO? 
Currently I have bottom and side intake, top and back exhaust. I will be installing AIO on the side. I guess it should be on exhaust as well then? Won't I have a negative pressure then? (I've attached picutre of my setup in my original post)

I'd rather put the rad on top, fans on exhaust 

If it's on the side I'd let the fans on intake, it won't have too much of a negative effect if airflow is good, while having only 3 intakes vs 7 exhaust gives bad airflow and negative pressure increases dust buildup

aios generally aren't better, may have slightly better cooling on the chip, overall airflow gets worse and vrm cooling might be limited,  tldr: they're actually worse. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

36 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

aios generally aren't better, may have slightly better cooling on the chip, overall airflow gets worse and vrm cooling might be limited,  tldr: they're actually worse. 

misinformation

52 minutes ago, MikeGold said:

I will be installing AIO on the side. I guess it should be on exhaust as well then? 

Radiators should be intake

6 minutes ago, NorKris said:

Thanks! Actually makes sense.

11 minutes ago, NorKris said:

Matters little in my experience. I do what makes sense for the case. 

6 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Matters little in my experience. I do what makes sense for the case. 

people have different cases and stuff, but in no test have i seen exhaust win, so the recomendation is solid. 

and the CPU is harder to cool than any other part 

6 minutes ago, NorKris said:

people have different cases and stuff, but in no test have i seen exhaust win, so the recomendation is solid. 

and the CPU is harder to cool than any other part 

My 4090 barely ever breaks a sweat and sits at 50-60C even under load with the Noctua sitting on it's back :).

My last system had a 3090 pumping out 400W steady in gaming loads with a 360 set as exhaust above it, 5800x had no issues keeping cool under maximum boost. As long as the water temp is where it should be its not an issue. Really just depends on the case and what works. 

14 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

My last system had a 3090 pumping out 400W steady in gaming loads with a 360 set as exhaust above it, 5800x had no issues keeping cool under maximum boost. As long as the water temp is where it should be its not an issue. Really just depends on the case and what works. 

I'm running NZXT H9 Elite. 2 reasons why I want it on the side and not on the top are: 
1. It looks really bad on top because radiator is going down quite a bit while on the side there is a special compartment for radiator.
2. H9 Elite has glass on top so the airflow is very limited.

Just now, MikeGold said:

H9 Elite has glass on top

Yeah, that was a purchasing mistake when the much better non-Elite exists.

3 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Yeah, that was a purchasing mistake when the much better non-Elite exists.

I can't disagree. They should have added both options of top cover with the Elite that is way more expensive than flow.

• 2 weeks later...

So in the end my Lian Li Galahad 360 performance arrived today. I found out that this AIO won't fit in any possible configuration in NZXT H9 Elite case as the radiator is a few mm too wide for both side and top mounting. After a wasted evening I've decided that I'm staying with Noctua and Lian Li goes back to Amazon. Pity...

On 2/22/2024 at 9:57 AM, MikeGold said:

I'm running NZXT H9 Elite. 2 reasons why I want it on the side and not on the top are: 
1. It looks really bad on top because radiator is going down quite a bit while on the side there is a special compartment for radiator.
2. H9 Elite has glass on top so the airflow is very limited.

Front, top or side, the most important thing is cool air. Generally, unless you use A/C, you'll get lower temps with the rad intaking air on the front or side.

On 2/22/2024 at 10:02 AM, MikeGold said:

I can't disagree. They should have added both options of top cover with the Elite that is way more expensive than flow.

You could ask them if you can buy a better top. 

On 3/1/2024 at 7:08 PM, MikeGold said:

So in the end my Lian Li Galahad 360 performance arrived today. I found out that this AIO won't fit in any possible configuration in NZXT H9 Elite case as the radiator is a few mm too wide for both side and top mounting. After a wasted evening I've decided that I'm staying with Noctua and Lian Li goes back to Amazon. Pity...

You could mount the rad externally...

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂