Soldering with lead

ItsKyan
Go to solution Solved by Needfuldoer,

The flux fumes are a more immediate problem than the lead. Melting solder doesn't get hot enough to vaporize lead, only liquify it. 

Just use a fume extractor or set up a small fan to blow the fumes away from your face, and wash your hands after handling leaded solder. It's not that dangerous, and leaded solder flows a lot easier than lead-free.

Hey guys, I am planning to solder some wires together I bought soldering wire with 40% PB and 60% SN. I did some research and found out that lead is a bigger problem with soldering than I first thought. My question is if it's safe to solder with lead in the garage (with the door open ofc) or outside without any extra ventilation.

Put on a fan, you will be fine. Honestly, if you are just soldering together a few wires, I wouldn't worry that much. The amount of lead you will be exposed to is fairly minimal unless you are soldering frequently. 

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

Lead isn't the biggest worry. Avoid the flux fumes. Wash your hands after handling the solder and lead isn't a problem. If you're only doing occasional soldering the impact is not significant.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

37 minutes ago, Skipple said:

Put on a fan, you will be fine. Honestly, if you are just soldering together a few wires, I wouldn't worry that much. The amount of lead you will be exposed to is fairly minimal unless you are soldering frequently. 

Also when im outside or only in the garage?

19 minutes ago, ItsKyan said:

Also when im outside or only in the garage?

Garage with the door open should be good. The random breeze outside could make it harder to avoid the solder/flux fumes. Like when you sit at a fire and the wind decides to keep putting the smoke in your face no matter where you move. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

As long as you have ventilation you're fine.
I use 60/40 solder all the time and it's easier to work with than silver solder, which is why I use it.

The amount of smoke/fumes produced isn't that much and some of that is due to whether or not it has flux made into it (Rosin core). If it was that serious of an issue you'd already been hearing about how plumbers were falling down in the past because that's what was used (and is still used by many) for sweating copper pipe together in some places that's tight/enclosed anyway.

As said here:

1 hour ago, Skipple said:

Even if soldering frequently it's not a real concern, I've known people that did such work with it for years as part of their living but never had any health problems because of it.
However:
At the same time, if possible they did at least have a little ventilation going on while it was being used, so do that and you'll be fine.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

1. If you solder frequently change to lead free solder. The myth that lead free is difficult is from the early days when the industry was still learning how to make good lead free solder (and matching flux).

2. don't breath the fumes

3. Wash your hands

People never go out of business.

8 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

If it was that serious of an issue you'd already been hearing about how plumbers were falling down in the past

My grandfather has Parkinson's and is quite sure it has something to do with the 30 years he spent as a plumber working with all sorts of lead, so not a great metric. It won't straight up kill you but it can make you more likely to just suddenly degenerate into a shell of your former self when you get older. Study here, there's some newer ones as well. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

44 minutes ago, FlyingPotato_is_taken said:

1. If you solder frequently change to lead free solder. The myth that lead free is difficult is from the early days when the industry was still learning how to make good lead free solder (and matching flux).

2. don't breath the fumes

3. Wash your hands

Sorry, I've personally tried both types and silver solder is more difficult to work with so it's no myth.
It's probrably true it's easier to work with than when first introduced but everytime I've ever tried to use it, the work didn't go so well but with 60/40 I had no problems in comparison.

44 minutes ago, Zando_ said:

My grandfather has Parkinson's and is quite sure it has something to do with the 30 years he spent as a plumber working with all sorts of lead, so not a great metric. It won't straight up kill you but it can make you more likely to just suddenly degenerate into a shell of your former self when you get older. Study here, there's some newer ones as well. 

TBH I have heard a few attribute being around lead such as pipe fitters having this (Parkinson's) to happen but these guys were also from the time before sweating pipe was commonly done as a standard practice of how things were done.
Sweating pipe has been done for years now but there was a time threaded pipe (Lead pipe) was used instead of copper and that's from around the time your grandfather was doing his work on back from there.

I've never heard of any plumbers saying it, and to be fair about it on my part plumbers do far more than just sweat pipe as part of their profession... But to be fair the other way about it, doesn't mean it's false either.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

22 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

Sorry, I've personally tried both types and silver solder is more difficult to work with so it's no myth.

A selection of the solder I have laying around (those aren't all of them): Blue spool in the bag is the only leaded solder in this picture.

image.thumb.png.0db99d2eb40ce9bf1629ee4beaab2779.png

The 60/40 versions are also a lot cheaper in my country (€3,40 20G and, with of 0,6mm)

@ItsKyan Get a spool of 0.5mm Felder Sn100Ni+

100g are 15€ (in Germany) and for home use 100g is already a lifetime supply.

On 2/22/2024 at 8:25 PM, FlyingPotato_is_taken said:

@ItsKyan Get a spool of 0.5mm Felder Sn100Ni+

100g are 15€ (in Germany) and for home use 100g is already a lifetime supply.

Do you know a site? (im not from Germany but Gernany is very cheap in general)

@ItsKyan ebay

If you can't get the Sn100Ni+ consider the Armack BF32-3 (Sn95Ag4Cu, 3.5% flux).

The flux fumes are a more immediate problem than the lead. Melting solder doesn't get hot enough to vaporize lead, only liquify it. 

Just use a fume extractor or set up a small fan to blow the fumes away from your face, and wash your hands after handling leaded solder. It's not that dangerous, and leaded solder flows a lot easier than lead-free.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.