fx 8350, r9 290 power consumption?

Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,

Psu calculators for the most part are highly inaccurate.

The website/box recommendations are highly inflated in case you use a crappy psu. This is because they don't want you to complain to them through costly customer support. This is done by both Nvidia and AMD. 

Yes, the rm550 is plenty. 

TERRIBLY SORRY if this is already a topic, AND i know there are wattage calculators out there to verify; but there is reason i am asking i promise!

I UNDERSTAND that they are computer power consumption calculators out there to tell you a ball park range of what wattage power supply to get, but its odd.... different calculators give you different numbers....

I'VE SEEN people get away with i5's and i7's with a 780Ti running no more that 415W from the wall.

I'VE DONE my research on the power consumption on both of these products and came up with a total of 579w real world, and 608w Synthetic (furmark, ect). What part does my power supply's efficiency take in this?

MY PROBLEM! On the box of the GPU it recommends 750W? Then the calculators recommend a 555W? Then people are getting away with i7-780Ti@ 450W? I do understand that AMD requires more power than nvidia and intel... But what gives? Who do i believe, if i knew what part efficency played in this (or how much i can believe of it) i would go off my research.... but what CPU was ran during the GPU power consumption test was not specified, and how much CPU power is required to run Crysis 3 (real World 579w) or FurMark (synthetic 608w) i do not know...

MY QUESTION. Will my Corsair RM series 550w was enough to power a FX-8350 and a R9 290(non-x) by sapphire (tri-x OC)?

6 Fans (1 Noctua Fan, 2 Swiftech Fans, 3 Fractal Design case fans), and 1 SSD (willing to remove some fans... i planned on it anyways)

Any additional information on the above topic would be greatly appreciated, but a simple yes or no answer will also be greatly appreciated. THANKS A BUNCH!!!!

It'll be fine. It will pull like 500watts MAX from the wall which is about ~425/550watts that your PSU can deliver assuming it's 80+ bronze

Psu calculators for the most part are highly inaccurate.

The website/box recommendations are highly inflated in case you use a crappy psu. This is because they don't want you to complain to them through costly customer support. This is done by both Nvidia and AMD. 

Yes, the rm550 is plenty. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Thank you so much! im sure you get tired of answering these noob questions. but i tried to take matters into my own hands and.. well.. more questions than answers....

and the RM series is an 80+gold! boom! lol

Thank you so much! im sure you get tired of answering these noob questions. but i tried to take matters into my own hands and.. well.. more questions than answers....

and the RM series is an 80+gold! boom! lol

Actually, I love the noob questions. They're easier to answer :D