How environmentally friendly is the LTT merch?

kasdashd

Was just wondering how much LTT cares about the environmental impact of their merch, from everything like the partners they work with, the production and transportation of the materials, the shipping of the merch, and so on.

Are you doing it the most substainable way possible, can you do it better, and do you have "green" goals you're trying to reach in your merch department?

There a limit on sustainable  when you post world wide. so lot of carbon is used in shipping. however LTT products are make well and high quality meaning item will have a long and well used life out them.

look at the mining LTT backpack it lasted a few years in the most extreme and hard work place and held up so normal every day use the backpack would probably last decades.

There thing thing where a 20 year old beater car  are more environmental friendly then a 2 year old Tesla as impacted of building a telsa is more than a ICE car build 20 years ago. 

Polygons? textures?  samples? You want it? It's yours, my friend, as long as you have enough Vram.
Hey heads up I  have writing disorder I try my best but still make errors. 

52 minutes ago, kasdashd said:

Was just wondering how much LTT cares about the environmental impact of their merch, from everything like the partners they work with, the production and transportation of the materials, the shipping of the merch, and so on.

Are you doing it the most substainable way possible, can you do it better, and do you have "green" goals you're trying to reach in your merch department?

Have you purchased products from LTT store to see how they are packaged and shipped?  What products are you considering purchasing?

Do you ask all companies you purchase from these questions, and which companies are the best ones from your point of view?

What are you personally doing for the planet?  Would you pay more for environmentally friendly shipping options?  How much more?  

Have you done any research into this topic, I believe it has been discussed on WAN show.  I think Linus is particularly proud of creating quality merch than isn't immediately bound for the landfill.  Products like the LTT Store water bottle reduce plastic water bottle consumption, which has a great environmental impact and helps keep things cleaner!

32 minutes ago, ToboRobot said:

Have you purchased products from LTT store to see how they are packaged and shipped?  What products are you considering purchasing?

Do you ask all companies you purchase from these questions, and which companies are the best ones from your point of view?

What are you personally doing for the planet?  Would you pay more for environmentally friendly shipping options?  How much more?  

Have you done any research into this topic, I believe it has been discussed on WAN show.  I think Linus is particularly proud of creating quality merch than isn't immediately bound for the landfill.  Products like the LTT Store water bottle reduce plastic water bottle consumption, which has a great environmental impact and helps keep things cleaner!

To answer your 7 questions: No, None, No, None, a lot, no, irrelevant. 

4 minutes ago, kasdashd said:

If you are not considering purchasing any products from LTT Store or any store in particular, why would you care about their environmental policy? 

Why are you posing this question to LTT but not other stores?  Don't you care if your grocery store is environmentally friendly as well? 

Why wouldn't you pay more for environmentally friendly products, if you care so much about it?

who even cares. the biggest impact is buying new and consuming anyway, regardless of how its made. if you want to be environmentally friendly, then buy a used backpack or similar from a thrift store or only buy new stuff that will last you your life. reduce and reuse are far more important.

24 minutes ago, OhYou_ said:

who even cares. the biggest impact is buying new and consuming anyway, regardless of how its made. if you want to be environmentally friendly, then buy a used backpack or similar from a thrift store or only buy new stuff that will last you your life. reduce and reuse are far more important.

Indeed. But even more importantly, the illusion, marketing, and philosophy that stuff/things makes you happy. People having like a shopping addiction, or whatever it's called, that's even worse. But that's cause they're bombarded with the opposite, non minimalistic marketing, and it's the "normal" thing to consume mindlessly, which is what people then do, instead of considering alternatives.

6 hours ago, ToboRobot said:

If you are not considering purchasing any products from LTT Store or any store in particular, why would you care about their environmental policy? 

Why are you posing this question to LTT but not other stores?  Don't you care if your grocery store is environmentally friendly as well? 

Why wouldn't you pay more for environmentally friendly products, if you care so much about it?

I don't have time to answer all your questions in depth. I write dozens of mails every single day to many different places, stores, developers, officials, and so on, and cost benefit wise, spending time on answering your questions doesn't make sense. My original post was simply cause I was curious, and cause it's something relevant, that probably hasn't been asked before, or at least not very often.

4 minutes ago, kasdashd said:

I don't have time to answer all your questions in depth. I write dozens of mails every single day to many different places, stores, developers, officials, and so on, and cost benefit wise, spending time on answering your questions doesn't make sense.

I am too busy to give you the answers you seek.  Always surprising when busy people have time to ask questions online, instead of being busy...

4 hours ago, ToboRobot said:

I am too busy to give you the answers you seek.  Always surprising when busy people have time to ask questions online, instead of being busy...

That's exactly what I'm busy doing, asking uncommon and atypical questions online, that makes people think in new ways, and of new things they didn't think about before, as well as sharing links to useful stuff online, that people also might not know. That's why I can be so productive, cause I'm not wasting time on winning argument, but just explaining my actions with logical, objective truths, and doing selfless things, cause the better the world is, the easier your own life gets.

10 minutes ago, kasdashd said:

That's exactly what I'm busy doing, asking uncommon and atypical questions online, that makes people think in new ways, and of new things they didn't think about before, as well as sharing links to useful stuff online, that people also might not know. That's why I can be so productive, cause I'm not wasting time on winning argument, but just explaining my actions with logical, objective truths, and doing selfless things, cause the better the world is, the easier your own life gets.

I am unsure you are the first to question the environmental practices of a company.

Do you find it productive to ask about products you aren't looking to purchase?   If you are interested in saving the planet, why not spend the time you've spent on this conversation doing something like picking up garbage or planting trees? 

I feel this is very circular and non-productive, not to mention contradictory & hypocritical.

1 hour ago, kasdashd said:

In other words, you're truly non-productive, unwilling to follow through and wasting of others' time. gotcha. 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

3 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

I feel this is very circular and non-productive, not to mention contradictory.

In other words, you're truly non-productive, unwilling to follow through and wasting of others' time. gotcha. 

I'll add placing the burden of just being "Green" on others but from the looks of it, not doing a damn thing about it themselves which is hypocritical if so.
And from the questions as asked and answered, to me it's like they are targeting LTT in particular to that end because:

16 hours ago, ToboRobot said:

15 hours ago, kasdashd said:

And on top of that:

9 hours ago, kasdashd said:

I don't have time to answer all your questions in depth. I write dozens of mails every single day to many different places, stores, developers, officials, and so on, and cost benefit wise, spending time on answering your questions doesn't make sense. My original post was simply cause I was curious, and cause it's something relevant, that probably hasn't been asked before, or at least not very often.

So - It's only fair to say in turn, it's a waste of our time to entertain questions from you.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

12 hours ago, ToboRobot said:

I am unsure you are the first to question the environmental practices of a company.

Do you find it productive to ask about products you aren't looking to purchase?   If you are interested in saving the planet, why not spend the time you've spent on this conversation doing something like picking up garbage or planting trees? 

Other buy those products, so me helping to make those products "greener" is better for others. And I just wrote to my county about waste out in nature that they hadn't cleaned up and didn't know about, and they said they'd clean it up soon. Again, I'm doing dozens of small things each day, many types of things, to help make the world better, and you just ask about my involvement, instead of focusing on your own.

11 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

I feel this is very circular and non-productive, not to mention contradictory & hypocritical.

Yeah, but only takes a few seconds to answer each time, cause I'm a very fast typer, so it's no time wasted basically for me.

10 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

I'll add placing the burden of just being "Green" on others but from the looks of it, not doing a damn thing about it themselves which is hypocritical if so.
And from the questions as asked and answered, to me it's like they are targeting LTT in particular to that end because:

And on top of that:

So - It's only fair to say in turn, it's a waste of our time to entertain questions from you.

They don't waste your time if you don't want to, nobody's forcing you to do that, you can just leave this conversation if you want, totally fair.

3 hours ago, kasdashd said:

They don't waste your time if you don't want to, nobody's forcing you to do that,

They don't?
Really?
BTW just who are "They"?

3 hours ago, kasdashd said:

You can just leave this conversation if you want, totally fair.

As for leaving:
Since you're too busy pushing an Eco-Agenda here onto folks and businesses to answer questions asked of you, guess I'll hang around to watch the trainwreck when it happens.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana

8 minutes ago, kasdashd said:

Other buy those products, so me helping to make those products "greener" is better for others. And I just wrote to my county about waste out in nature that they hadn't cleaned up and didn't know about, and they said they'd clean it up soon. Again, I'm doing dozens of small things each day, many types of things, to help make the world better, and you just ask about my involvement, instead of focusing on your own.

When are you going to volunteer your time to help clean up the nature?

Why did you pick the LTT forum to try to save the planet?  Why not a car or truck forum, you can convince them to buy Teslas!

Or an aviation or travel forum, you can convince people not to fly and travel, and stay at home!

Or what about a forum for maritime shipping, you can convince those people that cargo ships are evil (bunker fuel etc) and we can end globalized container shipping and everyone can go back to shopping local!

What device are you using to connect to the internet and discuss this?  Is it full of conflict minerals?  Is the power it's using 100% renewable and no CO2 (concrete) or mined minerals were used for the construction of the power infrastructure you rely upon?  Because you wouldn't want to contribute to the problems you seek to rectify right?

Products that are manufactured on one continent, shipped across an ocean to another continent, then distributed worldwide can only be so "green" even if they're 100% recycled and recyclable. 

Most of their packaging is paper and cardboard, but they still use some disposable plastic bags and shrink wrap like most online retailers do.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

35 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Products that are manufactured on one continent, shipped across an ocean to another continent, then distributed worldwide can only be so "green" even if they're 100% recycled and recyclable. 

Most of their packaging is paper and cardboard, but they still use some disposable plastic bags and shrink wrap like most online retailers do.

Maybe LTT Store can start using sailboats for global shipping to be more environmentally friendly!  

That will surely satisfy the people on the forum who aren't interested in buying anything from LTT Store but totally have the time in their busy lives to encourage Linus to do better for the planet!

14 hours ago, kasdashd said:

What do you do to minimize YOUR impact?

How many electronic devices do you have? I work in gold mining. We could have fun conversations about what your purchases fund and what that makes YOUR footprint. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

3 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

They don't?
Really?
BTW just who are "They"?

As for leaving:
Since you're too busy pushing an Eco-Agenda here onto folks and businesses to answer questions asked of you, guess I'll hang around to watch the trainwreck when it happens.

I was just polite and curious, not pushing anything 🙂

3 hours ago, ToboRobot said:

When are you going to volunteer your time to help clean up the nature?

Why did you pick the LTT forum to try to save the planet?  Why not a car or truck forum, you can convince them to buy Teslas!

Or an aviation or travel forum, you can convince people not to fly and travel, and stay at home!

Or what about a forum for maritime shipping, you can convince those people that cargo ships are evil (bunker fuel etc) and we can end globalized container shipping and everyone can go back to shopping local!

What device are you using to connect to the internet and discuss this?  Is it full of conflict minerals?  Is the power it's using 100% renewable and no CO2 (concrete) or mined minerals were used for the construction of the power infrastructure you rely upon?  Because you wouldn't want to contribute to the problems you seek to rectify right?

You're talking about a perfect world, I live in a realistic world and mindset, where you have to lose a battle to win a war sometimes...

2 minutes ago, kasdashd said:

I was just polite and curious, not pushing anything 🙂

That's cool - No prob with it.

Just bear in mind if asking questions, expect some to come your way as well.

1 hour ago, IkeaGnome said:

What do you do to minimize YOUR impact?

How many electronic devices do you have? I work in gold mining. We could have fun conversations about what your purchases fund and what that makes YOUR footprint. 

I test dozens of mobile apps and games daily, to make sure they work well, so mobile devices with efficient ARM become more attractive than power hungry x86 chips and big GPU's.

I've also written 100's of mails of feedback to our public transit companies, and quite a few things have been changed thanks to my suggestions.

I could mention much more, but don't have the time to, and don't care about co2 emissions, only air and noise pollution, cause with 1200 metric tons of co2 being emitted every second, all countries combined, we'll necer fix climate change.