Should I keep my DDR5 ram on 6400 or 6000 ?

3 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Well, they are receiving the advertised speed, but it's getting worse performance than if they dropped down to 6000MT/s. Higher number does not equal faster with RAM, contrary to popular belief. 

As for everyhting else in that post, the entire RAM EXPO/XMP scene is complicated with all sorts of things that make no sense (8400MT/s rated kits, for instance basically never work). 

More or less, yeah. Run the stability tests more than anything if you want to keep 6400MT/s, and the first sign of instability just drop it down to 6200 or even 6000. 

Oh

If I change it to 6200 or 6000, the CAS will be what the kit came with for the 6400 unless I manually change it?

6 minutes ago, g335 said:

If I change it to 6200 or 6000, the CAS will be what the kit came with for the 6400 unless I manually change it?

If XMP/DOCP/EXPO is enabled, yes, the 6400 timings will still be in place unless you change them. If the kit is rated at 32-39-39-102, for instance, and you lower the speed to 6000MT/s, it'll still run at 32-39-39-102. 

Just now, RONOTHAN## said:

If XMP/DOCP/EXPO is enabled, yes, the 6400 timings will still be in place unless you change them. If the kit is rated at 32-39-39-102, for instance, and you lower the speed to 6000MT/s, it'll still run at 32-39-39-102. 

Ok, if I wanted to mess with the CAS are there any settings that might be good, and also if change to 6000 do I still enable DOCP1/EXPO1? And do I still change the UCLK from auto?

14 minutes ago, g335 said:

Ok, if I wanted to mess with the CAS are there any settings that might be good

This is very specific to the individual kit. Some can go down to CL28, some need to stick to CL32. Personally, unless you're lowering the speed to 6000, I'd leave the timings as is, and even if you were lowering the frequency down that far, I'd still likely leave the timings as is, though there's a decent chance I'd drop them to 30-38-38. 

15 minutes ago, g335 said:

also if change to 6000 do I still enable DOCP1/EXPO1?

It wouldn't hurt, it would save you the effort from manually editing the timings. It's up to you as it doesn't really matter a whole lot if you enter the primary timings manually. 

16 minutes ago, g335 said:

And do I still change the UCLK from auto?

If you're at 6000MT/s, the UCLK should be in 1:1 mode and therefore you don't need to change it. Again, it wouldn't hurt to force it into 1:1 mode, but it shouldn't be necessary to do either. 

3 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

This is very specific to the individual kit. Some can go down to CL28, some need to stick to CL32. Personally, unless you're lowering the speed to 6000, I'd leave the timings as is, and even if you were lowering the frequency down that far, I'd still likely leave the timings as is, though there's a decent chance I'd drop them to 30-38-38. 

It wouldn't hurt, it would save you the effort from manually editing the timings. It's up to you as it doesn't really matter a whole lot if you enter the primary timings manually. 

If you're at 6000MT/s, the UCLK should be in 1:1 mode and therefore you don't need to change it. Again, it wouldn't hurt to force it into 1:1 mode, but it shouldn't be necessary to do either. 

Thanks, oh what about the TRAS number in the CAS? Its 102, if I change the timings what should I change that too?

4 minutes ago, g335 said:

Thanks, oh what about the TRAS number in the CAS? Its 102, if I change the timings what should I change that too?

I honestly wouldn't touch tRAS, it just doesn't affect performance and it's too late for me to be doing math to figure out what the equivalent value would be. It's probably something like 96, but I don't feel like checking, and 6 ticks on that is going to do exactly nothing for your measurable performance. 

If you ever notice me listing the first three timings, that's why, tRAS just doesn't matter. 

5 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I honestly wouldn't touch tRAS, it just doesn't affect performance and it's too late for me to be doing math to figure out what the equivalent value would be. It's probably something like 96, but I don't feel like checking, and 6 ticks on that is going to do exactly nothing for your measurable performance. 

If you ever notice me listing the first three timings, that's why, tRAS just doesn't matter. 

Thanks !!!

2 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Uhhh i think youll wanna update your bios cause it shouldnt be going over 1.3v and thats because of the burning ryzen 7000 shenanigans a few months ago due to >1.3v vsoc

This is set by uclk div1 mode setting located in the ai tweaker menu which you wanna set to uclk = memclk which is running the uclk at the same freq as memclk which in this case is 3200 since the rams are at a real freq of 3200 (advertised at 6400 since they effectively run at 6400 due to ddr double data rate)

Located in the dram timing control submenu in the ai tweaker menu

Cant find any screenshots highlightning the subs for now so id just stick with 650 or 700trfc

^^^

Unless the system is for whatever reason left unused for a few days

Probably just update bios first and foremost, div1 set to uclk = memclk, trfc set to 700, and be done with it

Thanks!!!

2 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Me that just sets it to whatevers the highest primary timing (ex ddr2 1520 7-9-6-9 or ddr3 2000 9-11-10-11)

It does seem to gobble up voltage if you tighten it like i do so probably just leave it be if it doesnt do shit for performance, only reason i ever tighten primaries is just because i can and i have the voltage headroom to do it otherwise ill just leave them loose alongside tcwl and dump all the voltage into trfc (if it scales) then tighten trrd twr trc etc. 

Spoiler

IMG_20240116_052404.thumb.jpg.804713fe899a868b4375f48ac42f7da3.jpg

Basically this but gdie doesnt seem to like it if i try manually setting trc and twl also cant find a reference as to what those should be set to at 3150+ cause noones fucking around with 3000+ ddr3 on x58 due to most ppl using asus boards rather than giga boards

2 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

^^^

Just that you probs dont wanna leave them at auto depending on the board and the ram ics

I can run my pscs at 3100+ even with literally everything auto but the gdies im using for 3150+ cause my pscs are trash will refuse to do those speeds unless i manually set both primaries and subtimings (referenced from hwbot gdie thread) to the point that i struggled to get them past 3000 when i initially got them only to find out i had to manually set the subtimings aswell with the exception of trc and twl

Since were only dealing with 6000/6400 id reccomend looking around for a hynix 24gbit m die oc profile if you can find one and plugging all the (sub)timings from that since itll most likely be plug and play cause we arent dealing with high freq

The higher the freq and/or the more inconsistent the ram ic the more likely you cant plug and play an oc profile you find off the internet, since were dealing with neither you should be good but you still need to stresstest to make sure its actually stable especially since this is 2x48

22 hours ago, TatamiMatt said:

so DOCP should have profiles and you might be able to set a 6000CL30 profile thats automatically loaded as that in bios, if it is EXPO theyll have to be set manually, if you dont want to tinker with timings to set 6000CL30 manually and 6400 is running smoothly then id say stick with that

3 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

45 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Me that just sets it to whatevers the highest primary timing (ex ddr2 1520 7-9-6-9 or ddr3 2000 9-11-10-11)

It does seem to gobble up voltage if you tighten it like i do so probably just leave it be if it doesnt do shit for performance, only reason i ever tighten primaries is just because i can and i have the voltage headroom to do it otherwise ill just leave them loose alongside tcwl and dump all the voltage into trfc (if it scales) then tighten trrd twr trc etc. 

Reveal hidden contents

IMG_20240116_052404.thumb.jpg.804713fe899a868b4375f48ac42f7da3.jpg

Basically this but gdie doesnt seem to like it if i try manually setting trc and twl also cant find a reference as to what those should be set to at 3150+ cause noones fucking around with 3000+ ddr3 on x58 due to most ppl using asus boards rather than giga boards

^^^

Just that you probs dont wanna leave them at auto depending on the board and the ram ics

I can run my pscs at 3100+ even with literally everything auto but the gdies im using for 3150+ cause my pscs are trash will refuse to do those speeds unless i manually set both primaries and subtimings (referenced from hwbot gdie thread) to the point that i struggled to get them past 3000 when i initially got them only to find out i had to manually set the subtimings aswell with the exception of trc and twl

Since were only dealing with 6000/6400 id reccomend looking around for a hynix 24gbit m die oc profile if you can find one and plugging all the (sub)timings from that since itll most likely be plug and play cause we arent dealing with high freq

The higher the freq and/or the more inconsistent the ram ic the more likely you cant plug and play an oc profile you find off the internet, since were dealing with neither you should be good but you still need to stresstest to make sure its actually stable especially since this is 2x48

This is what happened.  Before I changed anything, except for changing it to DOCP1/EXPO1 and I had 3200 and 1600.  Aida 64 showed latency of 86.  When I did Passmark Performance test, it had a lantency of 56 and the graph said I was in the top 80% of memory in their database. 

After I changed the UCLK to 3200 and changed the FCLK to 2133 (UMLK/1.5) the system booted but Aida64 struggled to work and than gave me a latency score of 241 and the ram numbers for speed were crazy.  Passmark Performance test showed latency at 76 percent and the ram was now in the 56% are in their data base.   I tried to run the stress test in Aida 64 but it kept causing the pc to crash.  Then just turning on the pc it would crash.

So I updated to the latest bios.  Set the UMLK and UCLK to 3200 each, didnt mess with the FCLK this time.

Tried the Aida64 for performance test again and still high latency 76, but did not try its stress test this time. I think something is wrong with Aida64, not working well with my system.

I did the Passmark Performance test again and now the latency is 49 and the ram is in the top 96% in their database.

I tried using Y-Cruncher but it would not launch.  I used Burn in Test by Passmark and it went for 57 cycles 4mins and no errors.  I will do longer tests later.

3 hours ago, g335 said:

I think something is wrong with Aida64, not working well with my system.

Unless it crashes at stock, I doubt that. 

3 hours ago, g335 said:

I tried using Y-Cruncher but it would not launch.

That's odd. Which version did you download?