Screen goes black if i do something specific

Alexsheff93
Go to solution Solved by Alexsheff93,

Ive come to the conclusion it's thermal throttling n closing down when i rech 85c my screen goes black, i reduced power down to 50% and now im able to inspect weapons in game, inspecting weapons cause my temps spike, i need some smaller screw drivers to access the GPU headsink n apply fresh thermal paste and no black screens think youd service the card before selling it on ebay wouldnt you... least i got to bottom of it gpu temps go ne higher that 65 now ive reduced 50% of gpu power

Aldso running the stress test from yesterday the 3d standard would instantly black screen me, since lowering its power im able to run the test no problem

Hey, so ive had my build since saturday build it over tine the whole thing is brand new apart from the GPU ive not had a issues so far apart from my screen randomly going black ive stress tested the CPU and GPU both were fine i can play games fine but lets say for example i open my inventory on CS2 and inspect a weapon about 45 sec later screen goes black

my set up: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Alwxsheff93/saved/y9LcMp

Edit:so I've just ran a few games of Cs was absolutely fine went to inventory inspected a weapon and the black screen occurred again

#Murica(butinternational)parrotgang

1 hour ago, Alexsheff93 said:

Hey, so ive had my build since saturday build it over tine the whole thing is brand new apart from the GPU ive not had a issues so far apart from my screen randomly going black ive stress tested the CPU and GPU both were fine i can play games fine but lets say for example i open my inventory on CS2 and inspect a weapon about 45 sec later screen goes black

my set up: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Alwxsheff93/saved/y9LcMp

Edit:so I've just ran a few games of Cs was absolutely fine went to inventory inspected a weapon and the black screen occurred again

verify your game files

44 minutes ago, ki8aras said:

verify your game files

i did that yesterday as steam wouldnt let me launch cs said i opened it outside steam so had to verify the file integrity

26 minutes ago, Alexsheff93 said:

i did that yesterday as steam wouldnt let me launch cs said i opened it outside steam so had to verify the file integrity

this is clearly a game issue not related to your hardware, given that it only occurs after a weapon inspect in the inventory
does it happen with a particular weapon or skin or is it universal?

35 minutes ago, ki8aras said:

this is clearly a game issue not related to your hardware, given that it only occurs after a weapon inspect in the inventory
does it happen with a particular weapon or skin or is it universal?

Its happening across all with all weapons can play fine but inspecting weapons black screens me

ive noticed that the fans spin really loud, this also happens in game however i dont black screen in game i guess its just under load

19 minutes ago, Alexsheff93 said:

Its happening across all with all weapons can play fine but inspecting weapons black screens me

ive noticed that the fans spin really loud, this also happens in game however i dont black screen in game i guess its just under load

i noticed from your parts list, you only have single channel ram?

use OCCT and run all the tests provided, im assuming you're not running any overclocks?

8 minutes ago, ki8aras said:

i noticed from your parts list, you only have single channel ram?

use OCCT and run all the tests provided, im assuming you're not running any overclocks?

yeah im planning on buying another ram stick to make it dual channel and ive not applied any overclocks apart from XMP but this issue was happening before enabling XMP the bios is pretty much default apart from ram MHZ set at 3200, im im installing OOCT now and going to do some tests

1 minute ago, Alexsheff93 said:

yeah im planning on buying another ram stick to make it dual channel and ive not applied any overclocks apart from XMP but this issue was happening before enabling XMP the bios is pretty much default apart from ram MHZ set at 3200, im im installing OOCT now and going to do some tests

keep us updated

6 minutes ago, ki8aras said:

keep us updated

Just black screened 5 min Into stress test but system is still runnkng

Just now, Alexsheff93 said:

Just black screened 5 min Into stress test but system is still runnkng

which test were you running at the time?

26 minutes ago, ki8aras said:

which test were you running at the time?

3d standard with shader complexity at 3 but doesn't show any errors for the 3d standard test. in the crash report

image.thumb.png.f4f02b6f0fc2705f749109579f3cfabd.png

Im currently running a 100% test on VRAM and having no issues so far image.thumb.png.3093a30e64bad812f30dd6ef41d8ddfa.png

I did some checking in the error logs and looked at the "source" of the error and it seems this is whats causing the black screen "nvlddmkm"

3 minutes ago, Alexsheff93 said:

I did some checking in the error logs and looked at the "source" of the error and it seems this is whats causing the black screen "nvlddmkm"

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fixed-nvlddmkm-gamingvideo-crash-error-bad-ram/d81304c3-78ef-45a9-ba67-93cf12df0cd3

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

18 minutes ago, TatamiMatt said:

Yeah i feel safe to assume that this is the issue as i ran the VRAM test at 100% for past hour no black screens, on dinner break im goign to change ram slots see if that worksimage.thumb.png.c1a39cd2f4191d32360c02a6d14f2ac3.png

i tried changing ram slots didnt make a difference, im reinstalling windows formatting the SSD and restarting again if its still an issue i blame the GPU as its 2nd hand

Just now, Alexsheff93 said:

i tried changing ram slots didnt make a difference, im reinstalling windows formatting the SSD and restarting again if its still an issue i blame the GPU as its 2nd hand

Try using 1 ram stick, its not about the slots but a possible faulty stick

System specs:

Just now, TatamiMatt said:

Try using 1 ram stick, its not about the slots but a possible faulty stick

its 16GB stick i wanted to get 4 16s over time for 64gb

1 minute ago, Alexsheff93 said:

its 16GB stick i wanted to get 4 16s over time for 64gb

Oh i see, do you have any other RAM sticks, even from a donor friend or someone who can lend you one temporarily to check against your own?

System specs:

1 minute ago, TatamiMatt said:

Oh i see, do you have any other RAM sticks, even from a donor friend or someone who can lend you one temporarily to check against your own?

its only the one i have unfortunatly

i ran memtest64 and i got 4 passes 0 errors so nothing wrong with ram, any other suggestions

Ive come to the conclusion it's thermal throttling n closing down when i rech 85c my screen goes black, i reduced power down to 50% and now im able to inspect weapons in game, inspecting weapons cause my temps spike, i need some smaller screw drivers to access the GPU headsink n apply fresh thermal paste and no black screens think youd service the card before selling it on ebay wouldnt you... least i got to bottom of it gpu temps go ne higher that 65 now ive reduced 50% of gpu power

Aldso running the stress test from yesterday the 3d standard would instantly black screen me, since lowering its power im able to run the test no problem

2 minutes ago, Alexsheff93 said:

Try undervolting and increasing fan speed? You should get less impact on performance that way and still have similar temps

System specs:

14 minutes ago, TatamiMatt said:

Try undervolting and increasing fan speed? You should get less impact on performance that way and still have similar temps

i have absolutly no idea how to undervolt  ive heard people do this but i think i might break my card from inexperience

4 minutes ago, Alexsheff93 said:

i have absolutly no idea how to undervolt  ive heard people do this but i think i might break my card from inexperience

Nah, will never break your card, system might crash but its designed to do this so nothing happens, fire me a DM and i can coach you through it if you want, im at work currently and have DND later but can find some time in between maybe

System specs:

36 minutes ago, TatamiMatt said:

Nah, will never break your card, system might crash but its designed to do this so nothing happens, fire me a DM and i can coach you through it if you want, im at work currently and have DND later but can find some time in between maybe

Thank you your a star, ill drop you a dm n we can talk when we can im working from home too but i do telesales so ill be in constant calls till 5.15 GMT+0