Edge and hotspot temp delta different depending on game.

ivanrcks95

Just an observation I made thats very odd to me. Ive noticed that depending on the game, the hotspot and edge temperature difference gets bigger? On average in games my GPU edge temp sits between 62-67c, depending on the demand of the game. Games like Cyberpunk maxed out (including ray traced reflections), NFS Unbound maxed out, will all sit at 67c edge temp, and the hotspot would hover around 85-88c. With less demanding games, and really old games with lots of mods its does the opposite? Games like Automation Car Company Tycoon, or a modded version of NFS Most Wanted 2005, the edge temp will be lower, 60-62c, indicating its less demanding but the hotspot would be higher at 90-95c? Is this just poor optimization? Seems odd that a less demanding game would have a lower edge temp but a higher hotspot temp? The temperatures are still safe for a 6900XT, so I am not worried about that but I am confused as to why the delta increases when the game is less demanding.

R7 5800X3D | XFX Merc 6900 XT Limited Black | 32gb 3200mhz CL16

1 hour ago, ivanrcks95 said:

Just an observation I made thats very odd to me. Ive noticed that depending on the game, the hotspot and edge temperature difference gets bigger? On average in games my GPU edge temp sits between 62-67c, depending on the demand of the game. Games like Cyberpunk maxed out (including ray traced reflections), NFS Unbound maxed out, will all sit at 67c edge temp, and the hotspot would hover around 85-88c. With less demanding games, and really old games with lots of mods its does the opposite? Games like Automation Car Company Tycoon, or a modded version of NFS Most Wanted 2005, the edge temp will be lower, 60-62c, indicating its less demanding but the hotspot would be higher at 90-95c? Is this just poor optimization? Seems odd that a less demanding game would have a lower edge temp but a higher hotspot temp? The temperatures are still safe for a 6900XT, so I am not worried about that but I am confused as to why the delta increases when the game is less demanding.

Different parts of the die do different things. If you are using ray tracing, it will use differnet cores than if you are just using raster graphics. I am not surprised that games heat the die differently.

33 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

Different parts of the die do different things. If you are using ray tracing, it will use differnet cores than if you are just using raster graphics. I am not surprised that games heat the die differently.

Yeah that makes sense, thats what I thought initially as well, its just confusing that the less demanding games are the ones with the issue not the more demanding games lol As I said, Cyberpunk with ray tracing has a cooler hotspot temp than a game from 2005 with no ray tracing.

24 minutes ago, ivanrcks95 said:

Yeah that makes sense, thats what I thought initially as well, its just confusing that the less demanding games are the ones with the issue not the more demanding games lol As I said, Cyberpunk with ray tracing has a cooler hotspot temp than a game from 2005 with no ray tracing.

Even though I HATE the term, it could just be a case of the ray tracing accelerator units bottlenecking the stream processors or texture units. BUT this is just idle speculation.

27 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

Even though I HATE the term, it could just be a case of the ray tracing accelerator units bottlenecking the stream processors or texture units. BUT this is just idle speculation.

Its definitely strange, mostly unexpected to be honest.

Plays one of the most demanding games of the last decade - cool temps.
Plays a game thats nearly 19 years old - reaching temp limits.

Ill do more digging online to see if its perhaps a 6900XTXH specific situation, since it was their biggest and highest clocked die with most limits raised.