Didn't migrate my Minecraft account; it got deleted. I feel upset and want to vent.

Keystone Nyan Cat

TL;DR- Users needed to move their Minecraft accounts to Microsoft. Minecraft was tied to seldom checked email; and MS deleted my account with no recourse.

Imagine if you bought a DVD for a movie in 2011 and wanted to rewatch it in 2024. You pop it into your DVD player, and get an error message. It states because you didn't power on your DVD player last year- you can never play that DVD again. I'd imagine you'd be pretty mad. You'd wonder- why even have a time limit on this or require intervention, and vouch to never give money to the company that made that movie or DVD player again.

That's exactly what's happening with me and my Minecraft account. If I paid for a game; I do so in the goodfaith assumption that I can play it not just now, but in the future too. To take it away without any recourse, refund, or compensation.. I acknowledge given the dollar amount attached, this may seem trivial; but- it's about the principle of the matter.

It may seem like a small guesture- but I vow not to give MS a cent of my money going forward. I'm already paying for Google (I acknowledge they have issues too); and am moving the few folders I have on Onedrive since highschool over to GDrive and cancelling my MS OneDrive subscription in anger. 

PC in Profile

Its not Microsoft's fault that you didn't check your email. They began notifying and emailing customers almost a year before the cut off date. They did way more than they needed to do honestly with the time and length they took to notify customers. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

But why even have a deadline on a process like this? If a user doesn't respond in time- instead of deleting something they paid money for, they should give me back my money in lieu of taking away the thing I paid them for.

PC in Profile

You try logging into your account on Mojang? I did that, and I was still able to migrate it over, even though I believe I was passed the deadline - it may have been a grace period that I was under though.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

As game contracts go they are pretty pitiful but give the customer some rights like notification to major changes. IMO they handled it well. They sent out emails stating they were going to migrate over to the new system well in advance and what steps were required by you including a commencement date, a cut off date, and the fact they will sent out multiple reminders. Pretty concrete evidence they did their best effort, not something you have a grounds to fight. It also made gaming news.

An email is just like a houses letterbox, just because you didn't read an electricity bill at your second house doesn't give you the right not to pay it and expect them to keep the electricity on. They have given 'just/righteous' notification, meaning they are within their contract they have with you and seek dues.

Don't use multiple email boxes. Use a Catch-All or a privacy protection email service like Duck Duck Go or Apple or just auto-forward your emails. (sure have a separate email for work/personal)

https://proton.me/support/catch-all

https://duckduckgo.com/email/

https://support.apple.com/en-au/105078

1. Never give contracts good faith OR assumptions, these aren't afforded to you, if the contract has a clear course, it's evident.

2. Read contracts and understand them in its entirety, seek aid if you don't understand something.

3. Understand who the beneficiary and benefactor is because the laws entitled are different.

4. Anything legally binding or the LAW in general; it is your responsibility to know.

5. If you don't like it, don't agree to it.

As for DVD's you are also agreeing to the purchase conditions, for example you can't use the DVD for commercial gain, like playing it in a venue and selling tickets.

The answer to PC cooling is aircon. RGB sucks. Have you tried turning it off and on again

Adv Dip Computer Engineering  |  CCNA  |  ITIL  |  macOS Support Essentials  |  Security + |  Internal Cabling License  |  SAA-C03  |  RHCSA (studying)

Level 2 Support full admin AD  |  IBM Server Build Technician  |  Various IT consulting work

The Hermit Build

Also, didn'tthe minecraft launcher constantly told people that they would need to migrate their accounts?

I am guessing you also didn't follow gaming news at all, or have friends that mentioned it? Because it was quite big news so don't know how you missed it.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Given Minecraft requires an online account to authenticate and has done for almost it's entire life of 12+ years since 1.0, it's an online service, not a DVD that you bought once.

I was in the same boat, seldom thinking about Minecraft and rarely logging into the email my Mojang account was tied to, so I missed the migration window.

It still let me apply my Minecraft license to a Microsoft account, log in, and play without buying another license. I never used any of the cloud features or cared about the achievements, so I'm not sure if any of that migrated over.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

On 2/10/2024 at 5:26 PM, Keystone Nyan Cat said:

But why even have a deadline on a process like this? If a user doesn't respond in time- instead of deleting something they paid money for, they should give me back my money in lieu of taking away the thing I paid them for.

This is more of a life lesson for you. This happens all the time in the real world. Didn't claim your package from the courier in time? Too bad it's getting sent back or disposed of. Just because you paid money doesn't mean everyone has to suddenly cater to your disorganization. They are under no obligation to refund you anything and they already went above and beyond to notify this change. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580